Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Is a SRAM AXS mullet worth +$1k over GRX 1x mech?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Is a SRAM AXS mullet worth +$1k over GRX 1x mech?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-21, 10:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Old 12-07-21, 11:31 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
So,while I don't mind SRAM which I have on the gravel, I prefer shimano because better and more precise and generally easier... Any electronic stuff is cool as you can miss match road shifter with MTB transmission and vice versa...

But, as somebody else said, it needs to be charged every so often. having to change my powermeter and light/radar is irritating enough and they often fail because I didn't recharge between small rides... just because of that, I'd rather go all mechanical, no "fly by wire"... bikes are in theory mechanical machines...

Now I understand that if you go mechanical, you will be have a "hyper mullet", you will not just mix road and MTB bits, you will mix manufacturer ranges of road and mtb bits: shimano grx gear actuator, sram chain, e13 cassette and some chainring/crankset?
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 12-07-21, 12:35 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Go 7spd, bro. It’s got the track record.
Saint 7 speed RD and cassette + dropper post and front sus for bombing mountains on your cutthroat MTB that masquerades as a gravel machine
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 12-07-21, 01:51 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I’d go SRAM because Shimano hoods don’t agree with my hands
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 12-07-21, 01:51 PM
FrankTuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
So,while I don't mind SRAM which I have on the gravel, I prefer shimano because better and more precise and generally easier... Any electronic stuff is cool as you can miss match road shifter with MTB transmission and vice versa...

But, as somebody else said, it needs to be charged every so often. having to change my powermeter and light/radar is irritating enough and they often fail because I didn't recharge between small rides... just because of that, I'd rather go all mechanical, no "fly by wire"... bikes are in theory mechanical machines...

Now I understand that if you go mechanical, you will be have a "hyper mullet", you will not just mix road and MTB bits, you will mix manufacturer ranges of road and mtb bits: shimano grx gear actuator, sram chain, e13 cassette and some chainring/crankset?
Mechanical set up would be:
  • GRX shifters/brakes
  • XT crank with Wolftooth chainring (compatible with 11 speed and Eagle)
  • GRX rear derailleur with goat link as needed
  • EThirteen cassette 9-46
  • SRAM eagle chain
From what I've been reading, this should all work well together but it's not as "clean" of a setup as SRAM Force AXS shifters/brakes/GX Eagle derailleur. SRAM shifters are super hard to find without paying a premium but it would definitely be a nice, easy to install and maintain set up.
Likes For FrankTuna:
Old 12-07-21, 03:27 PM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Originally Posted by FrankTuna
, this should all work well together but it's not as "clean" of a setup as SRAM Force AXS
It should work fine and it would be fairly clean since wolftooth tend to mostly do stuff for shimano.
46 should work without goatlink (may need longer B screw).

the only issue is that if you damage the deraiilleur, you may not be able to use the warranty
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 12-07-21, 03:29 PM
FrankTuna

Originally Posted by Fentuz
It should work fine and it would be fairly clean since wolftooth tend to mostly do stuff for shimano.
46 should work without goatlink (may need longer B screw).

the only issue is that if you damage the deraiilleur, you may not be able to use the warranty
But at least a mech derailed is $110 vs Eagle GX @ $370. I'm a little nervous of breaking an AXS derailleur and have to replace it.
Old 12-07-21, 04:39 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
But at least a mech derailed is $110 vs Eagle GX @ $370. I'm a little nervous of breaking an AXS derailleur and have to replace it.
Unless you go with a mechanical GX Eagle derailleur.
Likes For sarhog:
Old 12-07-21, 04:46 PM
Fentuz

that s why I kept rival derailleur in the knowledge that if I break it, i can put a eagle GX derailleur with the cable plate.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 12-07-21, 06:21 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Mechanical set up would be:
  • GRX shifters/brakes
  • XT crank with Wolftooth chainring (compatible with 11 speed and Eagle)
  • GRX rear derailleur with goat link as needed
  • EThirteen cassette 9-46
  • SRAM eagle chain
From what I've been reading, this should all work well together but it's not as "clean" of a setup as SRAM Force AXS shifters/brakes/GX Eagle derailleur. SRAM shifters are super hard to find without paying a premium but it would definitely be a nice, easy to install and maintain set up.
I'm curious, so the EThirteen cassette would need a SRAM XD or XDR hub correct? Having a 10/9t cog would make me consider going 1x to get a bit more high gear.

Also I'd probably vote going mechanical. $1000 saved could go into other aspects of your bike especially wheels and/or lightweight components.
Old 12-07-21, 06:29 PM
FrankTuna

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I'm curious, so the EThirteen cassette would need a SRAM XD or XDR hub correct? Having a 10/9t cog would make me consider going 1x to get a bit more high gear.

Also I'd probably vote going mechanical. $1000 saved could go into other aspects of your bike especially wheels and/or lightweight components.
Yup....XD for sure (not sure about XDR). The cassettes aren't cheap but beautifully machined and pretty light. I've been watching every YouTube video I can find on them haha
Old 12-07-21, 09:29 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
As an FYI - 3T makes a 9-32 11 speed cassette. Actually 2 of them - one has 9 and 10 as the small cogs and the 32 is a bailout; the other has 9 and 11 as the small cogs so the 9 is "overdrive". My next gravel setup will be 40/26 White Industries crank and 9-32 overdrive cassette. Gives me all the range I have on my current 46/30 and 11-36 and overall better spacing of gears.
Old 12-08-21, 02:09 AM
Fentuz

Yup....XD for sure (not sure about XDR). The cassettes aren't cheap but beautifully machined and pretty light. I've been watching every YouTube video I can find on them haha
Can use XDR with a spacer/shim for 9-46. I believe the shim need to be wrapped around the XDR thread to take up the slack and allow adequate "pinching"
Old 12-08-21, 02:26 AM
Fentuz

the 9-46 gives a range in between mtb 10-50 and 10-52 but on 11 speeds but has the advantage of being useable with "road long cage" derailleurs (Rival/Force etc.) that work without issue up to 46T.

I run 36x 9-46 which is equivalent to 40x 10-52 /40x10-50 (well to be accurate, it would be 40x 10-51).
When I run the 700c, I have 36x11-46 so with the 9-46, I could run 30x9-46 and keep the same "road" gearing but easy the "off-road" set up. I did not do it because I don't really want to spend too much time on cog 9T but I may consider a 32 ring for Welsh mountain adventures... This would be similar to classic XC GI setup.
Old 12-19-21, 12:13 PM
Gravel50

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I love my SRAM GX AVX components. Can’t go wrong with sram in my book