Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help with wheel size

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Help with wheel size

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-21, 10:58 PM
Wonkadonk
Best of the worst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Help with wheel size

Firstly, I’ve read up on Sheldon and have investigated with great effort before posting here. I have a wheel issue I have not come across before.

I acquired this bike and would like to get proper wheels and tires for it (and I know most of you will think it’s not worth it but I have my reasons).

The (original?) rear wheel is Belgium-made and is a 525x559 rim with a 26”x1.75” tire and fits the brake caliper.
The front wheel has been replaced with an Araya 26”x1.5” rim and 26”x1.9” tire and is too large for the brake caliper.

The rear wheel looks smaller in appearance, but both are 559 and sidewall height is not much different on the tire.
What is going on here?

I know there are several different sizes of 26” rims, but I cannot find replacements. And both are apparently 559.

So what’s up? Thanks in advance!

Old 11-16-21, 11:16 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Wonkadonk
Firstly, I’ve read up on Sheldon and have investigated with great effort before posting here. I have a wheel issue I have not come across before.

I acquired this bike and would like to get proper wheels and tires for it (and I know most of you will think it’s not worth it but I have my reasons).

The (original?) rear wheel is Belgium-made and is a 525x559 rim with a 26”x1.75” tire and fits the brake caliper.
The front wheel has been replaced with an Araya 26”x1.5” rim and 26”x1.9” tire and is too large for the brake caliper.

The rear wheel looks smaller in appearance, but both are 559 and sidewall height is not much different on the tire.
What is going on here?

I know there are several different sizes of 26” rims, but I cannot find replacements. And both are apparently 559.

So what’s up? Thanks in advance!
Chances are that they are both 559mm bead. I wouldn’t be too worried that they are marked differently. If you are worried about the size, just swap the tires from front to back and see if they work. (They probably will.)

Is there any other marking on the tires? Sometimes tires are marked with the metric dimensions as well as the imperial.

Although there may be supply chain issues, 26” tires are still fairly widely available. If you want a knobby tire or a smoother tire, you should be able to find them through your local bike shop. QBP seems to have a number of different ones in stock in both 1.6 to 1.9” size and 2.0 to 2.2 sizes. You may be able to find them on-line as well. I did a quick search and found a fair number of different brands and models.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-17-21, 12:16 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
It looks to me as if your fork is bent forwards which is why the rim does not match up with the brake pads
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-17-21, 12:17 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
The rims aren't the problem. The front brake looks like it's poorly designed when it comes to tire clearance, or might not be set up right.

You need new tires anyway. A set of slick 26"x1.75" tires would free up some clearance under those brakes, and ride nicely.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-17-21, 12:24 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
The rims aren't the problem. The front brake looks like it's poorly designed when it comes to tire clearance, or might not be set up right......
The brake reach is simply incorrect for that wheel size. The pads are at the end of the slot and still don't reach far enough.
Old 11-17-21, 01:18 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
It looks to me as if your fork is bent forwards which is why the rim does not match up with the brake pads
+1. Looks freakishly bent forward. Even if the pads could be moved higher they would have to be at an odd angle to match the rim which also hints at bent fork legs. Just to rule it out measure the diameter of each rim to be sure they're the same.
Old 11-17-21, 02:14 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Yes, fork bent forward. Once, a mom and kid brought a bike in the shop to complain that the bike they'd bought from us had a defective fork that looked like that. I said to the kid, "You can get a lot of air, right?" Kid said proudly, "Yeah! None of my friends do the jumps I do!" Had to explain to mom that MTBs are not BMX bikes and can't be treated that way.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-17-21, 07:49 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
If there's a bike co-op open near you, they'll have a bucket full of salvaged forks and can help you put a new one on. Choose a nice accent color!
Old 11-17-21, 10:17 AM
alcjphil

All the other 26" rim sizes are larger in diameter than the ones you have now
Old 11-17-21, 10:49 AM
Wonkadonk
Best of the worst

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Chances are that they are both 559mm bead. I wouldn’t be too worried that they are marked differently. If you are worried about the size, just swap the tires from front to back and see if they work. (They probably will.)

Is there any other marking on the tires? Sometimes tires are marked with the metric dimensions as well as the imperial.

Although there may be supply chain issues, 26” tires are still fairly widely available. If you want a knobby tire or a smoother tire, you should be able to find them through your local bike shop. QBP seems to have a number of different ones in stock in both 1.6 to 1.9” size and 2.0 to 2.2 sizes. You may be able to find them on-line as well. I did a quick search and found a fair number of different brands and models.
I took pictures of both tire sizes. The front is 1.9; the rear 1.75. No mixing of imperial and metric. I tried a wheel that was 26”x1.5” and was still far too tall for the front.
Old 11-17-21, 10:53 AM
Wonkadonk
Best of the worst

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
If there's a bike co-op open near you, they'll have a bucket full of salvaged forks and can help you put a new one on. Choose a nice accent color!
Thank you. That was the easy answer...to change the fork. It’s an old 1” threaded but I could hunt for one. But then, this problem plagued me because I wanted to understand; both front and rear rims are 26” and 559, but the rear one is actually smaller. And what does 525x559 mean? I have not come across a marking quite like that. 559 yes, but not 525x559!
Old 11-17-21, 10:54 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Getting back to the brakes, are they original? Do you know? The fork itself appears to have lots of tire clearance. If it were my bike, I'd replace the front brake with a long-reach centerpull or something.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 11-17-21 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-17-21, 11:06 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Thank you. That was the easy answer...to change the fork. It’s an old 1” threaded but I could hunt for one. But then, this problem plagued me because I wanted to understand; both front and rear rims are 26” and 559, but the rear one is actually smaller. And what does 525x559 mean? I have not come across a marking quite like that. 559 yes, but not 525x559!
Your rear rim is not smaller. Perhaps it looks that way because the brake is mounted higher in the rear, but the rims are the same exact diameter where the tires mount, which is what matters.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-17-21, 11:07 AM
Wonkadonk
Best of the worst

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Getting back to the brakes, are they original? Do you know? The fork itself appears to have lots of tire clearance. If it were my bike, I'd replace the front brake with a long-reach centerpull or something.
Yes, the brakes are original. Okay, I think that is a good option. Thank you. I still wonder what wheel size would have been there originally.
Old 11-17-21, 11:13 AM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Your forks are very BADLY BENT !

Replace your fork and then your brake pads will be 'square' to the rim
Old 11-17-21, 11:21 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
559 is the original wheel size. The rims, while maybe not original, are the original size.
The front brake doesn't fit/work because your fork is bent... badly. How do I know, because when my BMX bike was stolen when I was a wee little lad, I had to ride the Raleigh 3spd toruing bike we had ( i miss it now, but youth... oh well). I jumped that bike so much that after a while I had to run it into a building to straigten the forks after every jump. Its a wonder I still have front teeth.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 11-17-21, 11:27 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

What model of bike is this? I figured the fork was supposed to look like that, nothing on low-end bikes really surprises me.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-17-21, 11:52 AM
alcjphil

I took pictures of both tire sizes. The front is 1.9; the rear 1.75. No mixing of imperial and metric. I tried a wheel that was 26”x1.5” and was still far too tall for the front.
You are confusing tire width with wheel diameter. Wheels that accept 26 x 1.75, 26 x 1.9 and 26 x 1.5 tires are all the same diameter. They will all exhibit the same problem with respect to your brakes reach. Your current front wheel is the same diameter as the original wheel. It is your bent fork that is the problem
Old 11-17-21, 11:55 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
What model of bike is this? I figured the fork was supposed to look like that, nothing on low-end bikes really surprises me.
IKR. Except that I don't think that bike is particularly low end. Just old. Looks clunky to us after four decades of steady innovation in metallurgy and component development. You'd think there would be some damage to the paint where the bending occurred. Maybe there is. That isn't the best picture from which to determine this. <hint> <hint>
Old 11-17-21, 01:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
IKR. Except that I don't think that bike is particularly low end. Just old. Looks clunky to us after four decades of steady innovation in metallurgy and component development. You'd think there would be some damage to the paint where the bending occurred. Maybe there is. That isn't the best picture from which to determine this. <hint> <hint>
Yeah, a bent fork didn't really occur to me since I didn't see any obvious cracks in the paint or metal, and usually they get bent the other way!

If the fork started out with more of a normal curve to it, I'm wondering if this was re-aligned after the incident, or if it still tracked straight by some miracle. So many questions...
RUSA #7498
Old 11-17-21, 02:56 PM
Wonkadonk
Best of the worst

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It’s a Raleigh Summit
Old 11-17-21, 02:58 PM
Wonkadonk
Best of the worst

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I will take a better picture tonight. The forks do not look damaged in any way, but it could be that I’m a super-idiot, which is possible.
Old 11-17-21, 04:20 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Raleigh's had paint that wasn't to hard so it would not break(i.e crack) with a gentle bend, at least for a while.
You forks are bent in a curve that starts about an inch below the crown and follows the blade down.
Also, notice how the pads below are at a 90 degrees to the brake caliper where your's aren't... That's another good clue along with the pad location on the caliper.

Do another test.... Place it on the ground and tell us whether or not your top tube slopes to the front of the bike instead of being parallel to the ground (on a level surface).

1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 11-17-21, 04:36 PM
Wonkadonk
Best of the worst

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Old 11-17-21, 07:07 PM
Wonkadonk
Best of the worst

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
Raleigh's had paint that wasn't to hard so it would not break(i.e crack) with a gentle bend, at least for a while.
You forks are bent in a curve that starts about an inch below the crown and follows the blade down.
Also, notice how the pads below are at a 90 degrees to the brake caliper where your's aren't... That's another good clue along with the pad location on the caliper.

Do another test.... Place it on the ground and tell us whether or not your top tube slopes to the front of the bike instead of being parallel to the ground (on a level surface).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.