Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Hub Mounted Speed Sensor for Small Diameter Hubs?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-15, 09:29 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

I have a hub mounted Garmin speed sensor for use with Edge, the kind pictured below. The rubber bands on the sleeve are too long for the small diameter hubs on one of my bikes. Both front and rear hubs are only about 3/4" diameter and the sensor sleeve fits rather loosely around the hub. It grips okay in the dry but slips in the wet as the wheel rotates resulting in lower than actual speed readings.

Can anyone recommend a speed sensor which will work with Garmin Edge which might fit tighter around a small diameter hub? I don't want magnets or wires.

Old 12-29-15, 10:17 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Although it may not look as aesthetically pleasing as just the rubber strap, You could get something like 7 or 8" long Zip ties and wrap it around both hub and sensor, It along with the rubber cover should help keep the sensor from moving without over tightening the zip ties. Any Harbor Freight or Northern Tool will have them cheap.
Old 12-29-15, 08:29 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Thanks @WheresWaldo.

Zip ties are not going to allow me to remove the sensor to clean the bike as often and thoroughly as I like. I'd like a second sensor anyway so that I don't have to swap the one sensor between bikes.

For now I wrapped the rubber bands around the bub twice. Had to get my hands between the spokes, pull the rubber bands around the hub twice with the tips of my fingers... was a PITA.
Old 12-29-15, 08:51 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Cut a short bit of inner tube and wrap it around the hub under the sensor.

You get extra points for neatness.
Old 12-29-15, 09:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I really appreciate all the workarounds but they are just that, workarounds.

The solution I am looking for is a sensor that fits a small diameter hub. If anyone know of such a thing, please post.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-15, 05:59 AM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Can you use smaller O rings on the same sensor?
Old 12-30-15, 08:58 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
AFAIK, the Garmin sensor is the only accelerator based wheel sensor that straps onto the wheel. All the others I know of use a spoke magnet and sensor strapped to the chainstay or fork leg. Is you're rear hub fatter? It might work well there. Otherwise, IMO, the "cleanest" solution is to use a shorter o-ring or put a spacer under the existing o-ring. There are rubber spacers used to adapt lights, reflectors or cyclometers to different size seatpost or handlebars. One of these, perhaps trimmed to length, might work well.
Old 12-30-15, 10:32 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Rubber tubing works great as a spacer. Cut and trim it to fit between the sensor and the hub.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-30-15, 01:48 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
AFAIK, the Garmin sensor is the only accelerator based wheel sensor that straps onto the wheel. All the others I know of use a spoke magnet and sensor strapped to the chainstay or fork leg. Is you're rear hub fatter? It might work well there. Otherwise, IMO, the "cleanest" solution is to use a shorter o-ring or put a spacer under the existing o-ring. There are rubber spacers used to adapt lights, reflectors or cyclometers to different size seatpost or handlebars. One of these, perhaps trimmed to length, might work well.
There is another sensor from Velocomputer that would work with an ANT+ set up. But it's got some issues if you need BTLE support. I have one and tried it, got it to work by itself but had some conflicts with other sensors. I was primarily looking at it for BTLE support but it supposedly is ANT+ qualified.

Also, Wahoo Fitness should be releasing such a sensor by spring (rumors). It would just be a software mode on the RPM cadence sensor they have already.

The other alternative is to get the Wahoo rubber piece that holds the RPM cadence sensor to the pedal with zip ties and put that on your hub. There are also removable zip ties you can get so you could put it on and off as many times as you wanted. That's what I'd do if you had a desire to remove it. I'm pretty sure it would fit the Garmin sensor.

The final thing you could try is to put a twist in the strap on the Garmin sensor to take up some of the slack.

J.
Old 12-30-15, 01:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
add duct-tape* then put it back on .. it wont be so shiny polished under it then.

* or double stick tape or hot melt glue, etc.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-31-15 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-30-15, 03:57 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

AFAIK, the Garmin sensor is the only accelerator based wheel sensor that straps onto the wheel.
The Garmin speed sensor does not use an accelerometer. It uses a magnetometer against the Earth's magnetic field.

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
There is another sensor from Velocomputer that would work with an ANT+ set up. But it's got some issues if you need BTLE support. I have one and tried it, got it to work by itself but had some conflicts with other sensors. I was primarily looking at it for BTLE support but it supposedly is ANT+ qualified.

Also, Wahoo Fitness should be releasing such a sensor by spring (rumors). It would just be a software mode on the RPM cadence sensor they have already.
Thank you for this John. The Velocomputer sensor's mount is what I am looking for. $50 is pricey though.

I've wrapped the Garmin mount around the hub twice and was thinking of twisting it to take up some slack as you have suggested.
Old 12-30-15, 07:18 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Thank you for this John. The Velocomputer sensor's mount is what I am looking for. $50 is pricey though.

I've wrapped the Garmin mount around the hub twice and was thinking of twisting it to take up some slack as you have suggested.
Wahoo has a shoe mount for their RPM sensor that should fit the actual sensor piece in the Garmin wheel hub mount once it is removed from the rubber mount. The Wahoo shoe mount is rubber and mounts through holes through which one can run the laces of the shoe. I used those holes with zip ties to mount it to my cranks. Since the hub is much more protected by the spokes, you could use the hand releasable zip ties cut to length to make a very nice mount for your sensor that would be much more svelte than Garmin's rubber housing. In fact, I'm glad you brought that up, I'll give that a try in the spring if Wahoo doesn't release their wheel sensor.

I didn't know the Garmin sensor used a magnetometer instead of an accelerometer so thank you for that information. I'm actually surprised by that, the cost of accelerometers has been driven into the dirt by their inclusion in smartphones to the point where they cost less than a quarter a piece. Magnetometer or accelerometer aside, I am really happy to see the demise of the Hall Effect sensors that have been in use for decades with all their alignment and proximity issues. Been waiting for that for a very long time.

Both Wahoo and Velocomputer are using the Nordic Semiconductor part that contains the CPU, memory, radios and software stacks for both BTLE and ANT+ and transmit on both protocols simultaneously. Both devices readily come up and answer to the utility that Nordic supplies to modify the flash memory on board.

I have one of the Velocomputer sensors and don't think it's ready for primetime although it's promising. The mount has some really nice features like it's size and it's bevel/radius mounting to the hub. However, the ladder-like rubber strapping is a bit fragile and easy to break. That's why I think getting your hands on the Wahoo rubber shoe mount and using that to mount to your hub with hand releasable zip ties would solve your problem and be a very clean solution. The Wahoo shoe mount quite robust but not nearly as large as the Garmin mount and it and won't break or tear.

J.
Old 12-31-15, 07:11 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The Garmin speed sensor does not use an accelerometer. It uses a magnetometer against the Earth's magnetic field. ...
Interesting. That's contrary to what I've read/heard. If the wheel's axis was parallel to the local field, which could happen near the geomagnetic equator, then you'd get no reading. Where did you get that information? Of course an accelerator would work against Earth's gravitational field, which would work reliably everywhere on the earth.
Old 12-31-15, 07:45 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Interesting. That's contrary to what I've read/heard. If the wheel's axis was parallel to the local field, which could happen near the geomagnetic equator, then you'd get no reading. Where did you get that information? Of course an accelerator would work against Earth's gravitational field, which would work reliably everywhere on the earth.
I would also be surprised if this were actually true, I think DCRainmaker even said accelerometer when he did the initial write up of these just prior to release. No offense to @TimothyH but without documentation I would believe what Ray publishes.
Old 12-31-15, 08:40 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

See the link at https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cyc...l#post17923917

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-31-15 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-31-15, 09:11 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Wahoo has a shoe mount for their RPM sensor that should fit the actual sensor piece in the Garmin wheel hub mount once it is removed from the rubber mount. The Wahoo shoe mount is rubber and mounts through holes through which one can run the laces of the shoe. I used those holes with zip ties to mount it to my cranks. Since the hub is much more protected by the spokes, you could use the hand releasable zip ties cut to length to make a very nice mount for your sensor that would be much more svelte than Garmin's rubber housing. In fact, I'm glad you brought that up, I'll give that a try in the spring if Wahoo doesn't release their wheel sensor.

I didn't know the Garmin sensor used a magnetometer instead of an accelerometer so thank you for that information. I'm actually surprised by that, the cost of accelerometers has been driven into the dirt by their inclusion in smartphones to the point where they cost less than a quarter a piece. Magnetometer or accelerometer aside, I am really happy to see the demise of the Hall Effect sensors that have been in use for decades with all their alignment and proximity issues. Been waiting for that for a very long time.

Both Wahoo and Velocomputer are using the Nordic Semiconductor part that contains the CPU, memory, radios and software stacks for both BTLE and ANT+ and transmit on both protocols simultaneously. Both devices readily come up and answer to the utility that Nordic supplies to modify the flash memory on board.

I have one of the Velocomputer sensors and don't think it's ready for primetime although it's promising. The mount has some really nice features like it's size and it's bevel/radius mounting to the hub. However, the ladder-like rubber strapping is a bit fragile and easy to break. That's why I think getting your hands on the Wahoo rubber shoe mount and using that to mount to your hub with hand releasable zip ties would solve your problem and be a very clean solution. The Wahoo shoe mount quite robust but not nearly as large as the Garmin mount and it and won't break or tear.

J.

That's actually pretty cool that the cadence sensor mounts to the shoe instead of the cranks.

Thanks for the feedback on the Velocomputer mount, especially the rubber strap being fragile. I saw that it said "50% stretch" in the instructions and wondered.

The Garmin sensor has a hook that sticks out of the actual sensor onto which the rubber strap attaches. I'm not so sure that the hook would allow it to fit into the Wahoo carrier. Even if it did fit, for now based mostly on price, I've decided to get a second Garmin speed sensor and just wrap it around the hub twice like I've been doing.

I want to thank all of your for the time you took to respond to my question. It means a lot to me that you did. I hope you all have much peace in the new year.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-31-15 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-13-24, 11:20 AM
Dman1234

Bikes: Trek 820/970, trek zector 3, Miyata 1000/610/615

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
i realize this is an old thread.. but i ran into this problem with my recent purchase of a garmin 840
The speed sensor was to big for a mid 80 miyata touring bike hub.
I finally found a good solution for me ..like others i found wrapping an old inner tube around the hub many times.. taping it down and then applying the sensor with one final zip tie to make sure it stay still worked well.
Old 03-13-24, 07:36 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
for the opposite issue, what are the solutions for using a wahoo speed sensor with a dynamo hub?
Old 03-13-24, 07:45 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
The sensors need to be able to wrap around currently built hubs, which are wider then old stuff. Thus you adapt when you have old stuff and put a shim around the hub to make it work,