Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

A different kind of pump

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

A different kind of pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 10:14 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
A different kind of pump

This is Stompump a high volume foot actuated bicycle pump. It is made in California by the people who brought us robot wars. I looked at a couple of YouTube videos and would like some input from someone that owns one of these or knows if it is reliable.

Last edited by Rick; 03-13-24 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-13-24, 10:26 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
When I first saw the picture, I thought it was some kind of PTO drive that you pedaled to power.

Perhaps there is a possibility for a frame mounted pump that drops a gear into your chain. You pedal (in reverse perhaps) with your hand or foot, and it pumps like crazy.
Old 03-13-24, 11:19 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
When I first saw the picture, I thought it was some kind of PTO drive that you pedaled to power.

Perhaps there is a possibility for a frame mounted pump that drops a gear into your chain. You pedal (in reverse perhaps) with your hand or foot, and it pumps like crazy.
I thought it was electric, a rotating motor with planetary gears.

I have a foot operated pump like this. But mine is at least two decades old, maybe three. Until a few years ago I was still using it on the bike that is permanently on my trainer that took a shrader valve pump. Mine, the gauge reads about 20 psi too high.
https://www.target.com/p/schwinn-air-...p/-/A-54145331

That bike now uses a presta valve pump (a Silca), so that foot pump is in my vehicle, just in case I come back to it one day and find a flat. My spare is so hard to get to that I have not aired up my spare for years on that vehicle.
Old 03-13-24, 04:17 PM
Rick

Tourist in MSN:

Stompump came out in 2018 after a successful kickstarter funding. The pump is 2 3/4" X 4 1/2". It compresses to 3" in the mount. They say it is for large volume tires and will reach 60 psi. It currently retails for as low as $49.00. They suggest mounting it on the underside of the downtube. I don't want it collecting spray from the road. I like the back of the seatpost better.
Old 03-13-24, 10:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I had a pedal type air pump for our rural place years ago -- lever type stomp pedal, not rotating, sorta like the footswitches on dictation machines and other devices. I got it for occasions when the power was out and the big compressor tank was empty.

We mostly used it for the riding mowers, small tractor, low pressure on the pickup, that sort of thing, although we used it a time or two for air mattresses for guests.

It worked okay and would still be usable with an injured arm, which might be a factor in an emergency on the road. Although a CO2 inflator kit with spare cartridges would be better for bikes in most situations.

There are also small battery powered portable pumps which could be practical for bikes and trikes that are already fairly heavy. I'd consider one for my steel frame recumbent trike, which already weighs nearly 40 lbs. A little extra weight won't matter on that trike.
Old 03-14-24, 10:43 AM
Rick

Tourist in MSN Posted: I have a foot operated pump like this. But mine is at least two decades old, maybe three. Until a few years ago I was still using it on the bike that is permanently on my trainer that took a shrader valve pump. Mine, the gauge reads about 20 psi too high.
https://www.target.com/p/schwinn-air-...p/-/A-54145331
Would you strap that thing to a bicycle. It has to weigh over a couple of pounds. Stompump is actually portable and weighs with mounting bracket 220 grams. Here is an informative review incase someone is interested.
Old 03-14-24, 12:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
How many stomps did it take to fill up those tires on your bike to 60 psi from completely empty? And do you feel stomping with your leg preferable to pumping with your arms? I never liked those foot pumps for air mattresses and such. But I can see where it's a personal preference item that some or many might want.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-14-24, 01:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Rick
Would you strap that thing to a bicycle. It has to weigh over a couple of pounds. Stompump is actually portable and weighs with mounting bracket 220 grams. Here is an informative review incase someone is interested.
No, instead I bring either the Lezyne or Road Morph G that I have been using for years. The foot pump does not travel on a bike.
Old 04-03-24, 06:21 PM
Rick

Iride01 Posted: How many stomps did it take to fill up those tires on your bike to 60 psi from completely empty? And do you feel stomping with your leg preferable to pumping with your arms? I never liked those foot pumps for air mattresses and such. But I can see where it's a personal preference item that some or many might want.
I got the Stompump in the mail today and put the Jaco Lightning Presta head onto it. The Silca tire pressure calculator gave me a 35 psi for the rear tire on my Schwalbe 26" X 2.125" tires. It took 160 stomps to get there. They measure 52mm wide mounted. I switched between left and right foot to get there. I will have some pictures and more detailed info in a couple of days.
Old 04-09-24, 02:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
160 stomps to get a 26x2.125 to 35psi does not sound like impressive performance.
Old 04-09-24, 09:52 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
chaadster Legs are easier than arms. At an 80 cadence that's 2 min, (?4)
still beating my Ryobi electric handheld (NEVER go into HDepot unless totally sober)
But lags the smaller pocketable pumps, even for those of use compelled to buy stuff on impulse (sic)
Old 04-09-24, 10:45 AM
Rick

chaadster Posted: 160 stomps to get a 26x2.125 to 35psi does not sound like impressive performance.
The Stompump is a foot operated high volume mini pump as with all mini pumps they emphasize easy to carry over convenience. I have a Topeak Road Morph G and a Silca Tattico mini pump also. Both of them require a lot more pump strokes than the Stompump to fill whatever tire I have on my bicycle. The Stompump complete with mounting bracket weighs 220 grams or about 7.7 ounces. It is a little less convenient to deploy than conventional mini pumps and I would say it is odd or even quite ugly in appearance. I showed it to a couple of friends and they asked what is that. I am happy with my purchase because this pump doesn't aggravate the worn parts on my body. I believe your statement was full of assumptions.
Old 04-10-24, 02:40 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Rick
The Stompump is a foot operated high volume mini pump as with all mini pumps they emphasize easy to carry over convenience. I have a Topeak Road Morph G and a Silca Tattico mini pump also. Both of them require a lot more pump strokes than the Stompump to fill whatever tire I have on my bicycle. The Stompump complete with mounting bracket weighs 220 grams or about 7.7 ounces. It is a little less convenient to deploy than conventional mini pumps and I would say it is odd or even quite ugly in appearance. I showed it to a couple of friends and they asked what is that. I am happy with my purchase because this pump doesn't aggravate the worn parts on my body. I believe your statement was full of assumptions.
I’m not sure what all these assumptions are that you’re suggesting I made, but my use of the word “seems” was meant convey uncertainty about my view. If I did make a presumption, it was that the comparatively large Stomp might deliver best-in-class volume and pumping speed.

I went and took a look for some comps, but it has been awhile since anyone tested on the 26x2.1 tire size you reference, but Velo recently tested a bunch of High-volume mountain and gravel pumps with a 650x47mm (27.5×1.9in) Panaracer GravelKing tyre (and tube) on a Hunt Adventure Carbon rim (24mm inner width) – inflated to 35psi as an average pressure for gravel tyres. The same wheel setup was also measured at 30psi for the mountain bike-specific test.

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...ike-45-tested/

There’s about 4L volume difference between yours and the tire size Velo tested, but adjusting for that (by figuring out the Stomp’s displacement based on number of stomps for tire size and pressure and backing down 4L worth from strokes), it doesn’t appear to outperform the best minis, which is kind of surprising to me.

It’s a nice option to have, particularly for folks with difficulty operating hand pumps. Mini electrics, like Fumpa, would appear to pump faster, too, but are obviously not suited for all use cases; having to remember to recharge my pump is pretty unappealing to me!

In any case, I certainly prefer the mini hand pump myself, but did want to understand the benefits of the Stomp pump, the greatest of which is that it’s foot actuated.
Old 04-10-24, 05:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by chaadster
I’m not sure what all these assumptions are that you’re suggesting I made, but my use of the word “seems” was meant convey uncertainty about my view. If I did make a presumption, it was that the comparatively large Stomp might deliver best-in-class volume and pumping speed.

I went and took a look for some comps, but it has been awhile since anyone tested on the 26x2.1 tire size you reference, but Velo recently tested a bunch of High-volume mountain and gravel pumps with a 650x47mm (27.5×1.9in) Panaracer GravelKing tyre (and tube) on a Hunt Adventure Carbon rim (24mm inner width) – inflated to 35psi as an average pressure for gravel tyres. The same wheel setup was also measured at 30psi for the mountain bike-specific test.

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...ike-45-tested/

There’s about 4L volume difference between yours and the tire size Velo tested, but adjusting for that (by figuring out the Stomp’s displacement based on number of stomps for tire size and pressure and backing down 4L worth from strokes), it doesn’t appear to outperform the best minis, which is kind of surprising to me.

It’s a nice option to have, particularly for folks with difficulty operating hand pumps. Mini electrics, like Fumpa, would appear to pump faster, too, but are obviously not suited for all use cases; having to remember to recharge my pump is pretty unappealing to me!

In any case, I certainly prefer the mini hand pump myself, but did want to understand the benefits of the Stomp pump, the greatest of which is that it’s foot actuated.
I am clueless about the Stomp Pump and choose to remain that way. But I have a decades old foot pump similar to the one sold by Target that I linked to in post number 3 above. I have used that foot pump on the bike that is permanently on my indoor trainer, and I agree with Rick, foot muscles are easier to use than hand and arm muscles when pumping up a tire. Foot pump was much faster and easier.

But I do not bring that foot pump on tours, too heavy and big. For that I bring a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive or the Road Morph G.

My heavy touring bike is a S&S coupled bike, I have to disassemble the bike to fit it into a case for airline transport. The tires are 57mm wide. I have to deflate the tires to pack the bike into the case, the tires inflated are way too big to pack the bike in that size case. And I can assure you that the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive (high volume) pump takes a LONG time to pump up both 57mm tires after I assemble the bike at my destination, touring with a heavy load I run 45 psi in rear, 35 psi in front.

On a tour, I do not use a pump very often, so I continue to use the pumps I have been using, when stored they have a better size and shape for my purposes. But when I make that choice, I am fully aware that it will cost me some time to pump up my tires when I start my tour. Just two days ago I posted a photo of my heavy touring bike, it is at this link if you are curious, you can see the Lezyne pump attached to the seat tube on the frame. Fortunately on that tour I never had a flat, so was only occasionally topping up the tire pressures for a few minutes after the initial fill.
https://www.bikeforums.net/23208352-post9.html
Old 04-10-24, 06:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am clueless about the Stomp Pump and choose to remain that way.

Is there a reason you quoted me, or did you just want to make sure I read your cool story?
Old 04-10-24, 07:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by chaadster

Is there a reason you quoted me, or did you just want to make sure I read your cool story?
You sounded quite opposed to the concept of a foot operated pump and it sounded like you felt that hand pumps were better than foot pumps.

I explained that I agree with Rick, the foot pump is faster and easier to use.

But I explained that in my case, I am not going to carry around a foot pump due to size.

Apparently I was not sufficiently clear on that.
Old 04-10-24, 08:01 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
"A different kind of pump". Someone 'invents' these ↓ pumps about every ten years, so we're about due again.

Old 04-10-24, 05:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Pump hub. That is so weird.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-11-24, 09:09 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by tcs
"A different kind of pump". Someone 'invents' these ↓ pumps about every ten years, so we're about due again.

https://youtu.be/rDmknRJVk_A?si=maFSU6STZeK6n0HE
HubTech in NL was fitted to a couple of bike teams at Paris-Roubaix last year— Jumbo and DSM— and although I don’t think they ran them this year, I read somewhere a comment from someone at Jumbo that they were still collaborating with HubTech and that a consumer variant is due to hit the market in ‘25, so yeah, you’re right on about that.
Old 04-11-24, 10:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
You sounded quite opposed to the concept of a foot operated pump and it sounded like you felt that hand pumps were better than foot pumps.

I explained that I agree with Rick, the foot pump is faster and easier to use.

But I explained that in my case, I am not going to carry around a foot pump due to size.

Apparently I was not sufficiently clear on that.
Hmm, that’s a strange takeaway for you to fall on. You quoted me as saying, “If I did make a presumption, it was that the comparatively large Stomp might deliver best-in-class volume and pumping speed.” Earlier I said the StompPump was a “nice option to have, especially for folks who have difficulty operating hand pumps.” How you got from there to me being “quite opposed to foot pumps” makes no sense.

No, my point was only that the Stomp didn’t deliver impressive performance compared to common mini-pumps, and I provided mini-pump test results to support that conclusion.

I was not, as you were, talking about any possible foot pump in the world, rather I was specifically addressing the StompPump and its performance stats as reported in this thread.
Old 04-19-24, 09:24 PM
Rick

So I mounted my mini foot pump and Decided it's a keeper for me. With mounting bracket it weighs 220 grams. This is the same weight as my Topeak Road Morph G without its bracket. There are a couple of mini pumps that put out

more air per stroke but most of them don't. I bought it for its usefulness to me.