Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

doing my first century on Sunday

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-17, 11:54 AM
morfeeis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I am doing my first full century this weekend and want to make sure i have done everything i need to and would love any extra tips. I have ridden a 70 mile solo run with a crap load of elevation changes (2700 Ft worth of climbing), while my century only has 980FT. I will be eating more carbs and fish starting Wednesday, i will also increase my water intake and on Saturday start drinking my hydration drink instead of normal water. I also have energy gels/blocks that i have used on normal rides and know they won't upset my stomach. I just put on a new set of 28mm tires to soften the ride over the long miles.

Is there anything else that i need to do or think about for my first 100 mile ride?

Thanks...
Old 01-04-17, 12:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Don't skip the "normal water" before the ride. And don't overeat, especially the day before.
Old 01-04-17, 12:22 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My first century was last August. Don't overthink it, it sounds as if you've ridden enough that the biggest barrier will be mental rather than (just) physical.
  • Pace Yourself - In the excitement, it's easy to push yourself too hard. If you're significantly faster than your training pace, consider dropping back to just slightly faster.
  • Find A Group - Find riders who are travelling at your pace. Ask to join. If you don't feel you have the experience to ride in tight formation, drop back and use them for pacing rather than drafting.
  • Use the Rest Stops - They'll break up the monotony and remind you to eat, drink, and pee at regular intervals. Chat with other riders for a mood boost.
  • Have Fun! You're doing it for the experience, don't get so caught up in the challenge or worry that you can't enjoy the moment.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 01-04-17, 12:29 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
You sound good to go. Just don't go to hard to start out, pace yourself.
Old 01-04-17, 12:51 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a century that had 10,000 ft in the first 62 miles. At mile 50 is the rest stop (after 8k of the climbing complete). They served turky sandwiches and I was hungry enough to eat one. It did wonders for my energy level. I climbed the last 2,000 ft like I did the first 2.

Since then I eat something solid after the first 60 miles of a century. I feel great on the final 30 after a 10 mile recovery pace period.
Old 01-04-17, 12:56 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
"Just do it"
My hope was to do a 100km/day on my tour this past summer. (2450km-19 days)
Least daily total 65km, best 214km. Included 4 full (imperial) centuries, simply because it was a good day to ride.

You can do this. Worry (think) less, next week you will be looking forward to many more.

-Snuts-
P.S. I only started cycling last spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0102.jpg (98.9 KB, 129 views)
Old 01-04-17, 01:01 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
!00 is no big deal if you've already done 70. As someone else said, dont overthink it, and have fun. Just think of it as a pleasant ride, not a monumental goal.

I do centuries sometimes while just out on a normal ride, I dont really give it much thought.
Old 01-04-17, 01:05 PM
decentdrummer91

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got it broski!
Old 01-04-17, 01:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by morfeeis

Is there anything else that i need to do or think about for my first 100 mile ride?

Thanks...
No you're overthinking it already.

Of course only you know how you felt after the 70 mile ride, but if you felt OK enough to contemplate the century, the odds are in your favor already.

I'd skip the special hydration fluid in advance. Your body won't retain more electrolytes than the normal levels, so all you're doing is raising the price of urine.

I also am not a believer in altering diet before a ride, except for some moderate (moderate) carbo loading. Diet changes won't hurt you, but you never know how your body will react to changes, so stick to what you're used to.

Do, take some snacks or energy bars, and carry enough fluids unless they're available along the way. Besides that don't sweat "success" or "failure", riding centuries isn't about completion or time, but enjoying the ride.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-04-17, 01:09 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
What century are you riding?Does it have support and stops with food and water?
And just enjoy the ride.

I did A metric century in northern California last year and they had 3 stops with tons of food and water.
Plus support vans if your bike broke down.Really fun but to much food for my big butt.lol
Old 01-04-17, 01:15 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Pace yourself. You haven't ridden a century previously, so you don't know how your body is likely to react. You don't mention if this is a supported ride,but if it is, stop for a few minutes at the rest areas provided. Don't stay too long though, or your legs will stiffen up. If you don't have to pee every couple hours, you're not drinking enough.

I'm guessing your ride isn't in Wisconsin; they're predicting a high temperature of -2°F here.
Old 01-04-17, 01:16 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
You don't need all that crap, just go and ride. No special nutrition or drinks or equipment required, 100 is just another number.
Old 01-04-17, 01:19 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
I agree with others, don't overthink it. 980 feet is a pretty flat century, having done 70mi/2700 ft you should be good to go. Eat what you normally eat before your longer rides. Go out at a comfortable pace, a bit less than you might do starting a 40 mile ride. If you're feeling good at mile 80 you can always pick up the pace to the end.

If this is an organized ride with rest stops, don't spend too much time at them. Grab a little bit to eat, top off water, hit the head and roll.

Carry a couple of bars or something in case you need something between stops. On organized centuries I usually finish with the bars I started with still in my pockets. Good luck, enjoy.
Old 01-04-17, 01:30 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Have fun. That's it. 100 miles isn't all that big a deal in what it does to your body. <1000 feet is pretty flat, but you'll still have some uphills, which means you'll also have downhills. If it is supported, stop at the rest stops. I aim for 2 finishing 2 bottles between them, and usually I still have 2/3 of a bottle to go through when I get to one - I just make sure to finish that one off and then refill them both.

Don't stop too long when you do. Just long enough to get off the bike, take care of any business (ie, pee!), eat a snack (I opt for PB&Js, homemade muesli bars, etc...ie "real" food and not Gu packs), fill up your bottles, do some stretching, and off you go! Should take no more than 5ish minutes. I find stretching helps a lot.

And if you aren't having to pee by the 2nd stop, you aren't drinking enough! You'll be good for 50-60 miles but you'll likely start cramping some by mile 70.

As for pre ride nutrition? Eat a plate of spaghetti for dinner the night before, maybe drink a beer or two, and call yourself officially carbo loaded. I like a few eggs with toast the morning of a big ride. Easy to digest, you get protein and a little bit more carbs with the toast.
Old 01-04-17, 01:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
If this is an organized ride with rest stops, don't spend too much time at them. Grab a little bit to eat, top off water, hit the head and roll.

Good point. A lot of people linger at stops for no reason. Not only does that lengthen the day, it can make you physically and mentally less eager to get back on the bike. Nosh or stuff something in your jersey pocket, fill up, empty the bladder and hit the road.
Old 01-04-17, 01:58 PM
morfeeis

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks guys a lot of great information here (especially about the electrolyte loading not being a real thing). The ride is a supported event Link to event and there will be rest stops. i will also take some oatmeal bars as i have eaten them on a few rides and know they wont cause a problem, so thanks for the tip on using solid food.

I also must drink far less than i should because i have done five hour rides and not had to pee once (even after drinking 4 of the 25oz big chills and a powerade.

One last question, what should be the last day that i ride? i was thinking of taking a break from Wednesday until the event?
Old 01-04-17, 02:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
1st thought is, don't experiment w new foods / drinks on this ride. use what you know & like. you don't want any kind of surprise digestion issue
Old 01-04-17, 02:43 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Go for a ride in the morning (if you can), and a ride in the evening. Nothing big, I like frequency.

This will be easier than you think.
Do, check-in next week. You will have a different perspective on the "lead-up".

Enjoy yourself.

-Snuts-
Old 01-04-17, 02:59 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No reason you really need to ride past wednesday, nor for that reason to take off in advance. Personally, I like to. Gives me a few days to clean the bike, lube her all up, and do a once over.
Again, just let me reiterate the biggest thing to do: HAVE FUN!
Old 01-04-17, 04:02 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm jealous. My goal is to ride my first century some time this year. I did a couple of half centuries last year and at the end of them felt like I had plenty of energy to go further, so I'm hopeful I'll be up for a full 100.
Old 01-04-17, 04:51 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by morfeeis
I am doing my first full century this weekend and want to make sure i have done everything i need to and would love any extra tips. I have ridden a 70 mile solo run with a crap load of elevation changes (2700 Ft worth of climbing), while my century only has 980FT. I will be eating more carbs and fish starting Wednesday, i will also increase my water intake and on Saturday start drinking my hydration drink instead of normal water. I also have energy gels/blocks that i have used on normal rides and know they won't upset my stomach. I just put on a new set of 28mm tires to soften the ride over the long miles.

Thanks...
,,,,,so how long you figure it's gonna take you? Time wise
Old 01-04-17, 05:07 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Extra food, a big breakfast the morning of a big ride always helps me.

Certainly true for rides >60 miles.

-Tim-
Old 01-04-17, 05:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Make sure your bike is in good working order. Wash and lube it 2 days before the event so that if you notice something that you need to take it to the shop for, you'll have a day to do that. But don't futz with it the night before.

I would eat a normal dinner the night before and a normal breakfast the morning of.

The night before, lay out all the stuff you'll need: kit, shoes, helmet, gloves, glasses, etc.

Try to have your morning movement at home in your own toilet rather than having to worry about the portapotty situation at the start.
Old 01-04-17, 05:18 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I'm jealous. My goal is to ride my first century some time this year. I did a couple of half centuries last year and at the end of them felt like I had plenty of energy to go further, so I'm hopeful I'll be up for a full 100.
Dont worry, you'll get there this year for sure.
Old 01-04-17, 05:26 PM
morfeeis

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
,,,,,so how long you figure it's gonna take you? Time wise
Ever, i think it will take for ever. It took me almost 5 hours to do 70, so I'm thinking 6.5 minimum. I avg 14-15 on the flats...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.