Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

IKEA bikes have arrived in the US

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

IKEA bikes have arrived in the US

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 06:54 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Just for the sake of discussion and/or enlightenment: IMO, substitute for IKEA the name Walmart, Target or any other lower priced outlet, and increased bike sales ARE considered a bad thing by stereotypical BF bike snobs posters. Presumably because those bikes are not the right kind of value bikes for worthy cyclists.
I totally agree. I would ride Walmart or Target bikes if I didnt have other options. And for some people they work out just fine, they're not garbage, imo.

In fact I was quite impressed with my friend's recently purchased $200 Bikesdirect single speed - really rides nice and handles well. Even has a carbon fork. The reality is modern day manufacturing, combined with cheap imports results in very useable inexpensive bikes - as well as guitars, and many other items. Unfortunately there will always be people that think they can buy a skill, and that the more you spend, the better you'll be at that skill.
Old 01-09-17, 07:16 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Just for the sake of discussion and/or enlightenment: IMO, substitute for IKEA the name Walmart, Target or any other lower priced outlet, and increased bike sales ARE considered a bad thing by stereotypical BF bike snobs posters. Presumably because those bikes are not the right kind of value bikes for worthy cyclists.
It's not that anyone considers the increased sales a bad thing, but many think people would ultimately be more satisfied and more likely to enjoy and thus continue riding if they spent that same money on a better bicycle through the used market.

As far as we know, the IKEA bike is not subject to the same level of uncertainty that one finds with the Wal Mart product, so I doubt the same sort of objections would be raised. Unless of course the IKEA product turns out to be crap with a high failure rate.

I'd never advise a friend to buy a bike from Walmart and I really don't think snobbery has anything to do with it. I just want friends to get something better for their money. I'd have no reason to advise a friend not to buy one of these. As far as I can tell, it seems to be decent value for the buck.
Old 01-09-17, 08:11 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
if belt drive was superior, it would be on every bike in TdF
Superior is subjective to the goals you need to accomplish. Many tourers find friction shifting and 26" tires to be superior, because their goals are vastly different than Froome and Sagan's goals. Heck, Froome and Sagan's bikes are different, because they don't even have the same goals in the same race.

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
That certainly seems to be correct. I was going with the information in post#6 in this thread. Apparently that's all wrong.
Sarcasm and jokes don't always travel well over the internet, we've all been there! No harm!

Originally Posted by jon c.
As far as we know, the IKEA bike is not subject to the same level of uncertainty that one finds with the Wal Mart product, so I doubt the same sort of objections would be raised. Unless of course the IKEA product turns out to be crap with a high failure rate.
To be fair, one big variable is removed here: these bikes are assembled at home by the end user, who is probably competent at basic instruction following if they are a regular Ikea shopper. Wal-Mart bikes go out the door assembled by whomever was put on that shift that day. Wal-Mart may well be better off if they just sold their product in box for home assembly.

But in either case, I'd expect the Ikea quality to be more along the lines of better than Dicks level, maybe not to REI quality, very much above the local X-Mart.
Old 01-09-17, 09:19 PM
morfeeis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mc9000
Curious to see how this works out for them. To me, more people riding bikes is a good thing. Also, I'm sure some of the people getting their first bikes at places like Ikea, Target, etc., end up getting additional bikes at bike shops.
Sort of like a gateway drug? Walmart got me to buy a cheap'O bike and next thing i knew i was on a cannondale synapse doing a century...
Old 01-09-17, 11:27 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I doubt that the suggested alternative pictured cargo bikes are any easier to handle/store in an apartment or more practical for utility in an urban setting than the IKEA bicycle trailer combo.

I also suspect that few people in Europe or the U.S. will buy, use or keep such awkward (to lift, carry or handle) cargo haulers unless they have ground level storage for it or easy access to a freight elevator at home.
Plus one would need to be very physically fit to drive that 2 speed IKEA tank up and down hills. Not a great commuter for places like San Francisco. It is photogenic though.

Old 01-10-17, 05:23 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Plus one would need to be very physically fit to drive that 2 speed IKEA tank up and down hills. Not a great commuter for places like San Francisco.
I would think almost any person on any bike would need to be physically fit to ride up and down the hills in SF.

Ikea seems to be testing the market, for all we know it could be a flop, either way, its got more potential than the typical BSO offerings. If this product is successful, I could see an e-assist version being released.

I have no interest in cast iron 1 piece cranksets, and stamped bendy steel frames, often times sent out the door in such poor mechanical condition, that many bike shops refuse to service them.
Old 01-10-17, 11:05 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Ikea seems to be testing the market, for all we know it could be a flop, either way, its got more potential than the typical BSO offerings.
Having read a little more about it I find it an interesting niche: durable, low maintenance, inexpensive - but heavy and limited by its simplicity (only one size and all). I wouldn't be surprised if it's successful and gets copied by the bike industry.
Old 01-10-17, 11:35 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
It is exactly what I meant, installation instructions here: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/manuals/sl...7543-2_pub.pdf

Back wheel is already on the bike. You need to put the seat post in the seat tube, install the kickstand, put the front fender and wheel on, and put the handlebar on. Sorry, forgot screwing in the pedals too.
it comes more assembled than a bikesdirect bike. Might see a few in Denver when they get here; a lot of the US is such suburban sprawl designed for autos that I hope Ikea isn't overthinking their market penetration...

If I lived near downtown, I'd consider it. Has a "why not take the bike to the store?" +1 attractiveness to it
Old 01-10-17, 11:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
If I lived near downtown, I'd consider it. Has a "why not take the bike to the store?" +1 attractiveness to it
If you lived near downtown AND had your own shed or garage out back, sure why not?
Old 01-10-17, 12:15 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I think there is quite a difference. While Walmart markets any low cost, low quality item they can make a profit on, IKEA sells items that may be low cost, but are designed by them to meet specific criteria for build and utility. I have always found their products to be great value.

Yep, a lot of snobs here, so Walmart will always have a negative connotation. Having "fixed" a lot of mis-assembled WM-type bikes for co-workers, I can see why this is. Selling a poorly assembled (sometimes unsafely) bike does nothing to encourage their use. In addition, the complexity of maintaining cheapy multi-gear systems further inhibits use.
Old 01-10-17, 12:32 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I think there is quite a difference. While Walmart markets any low cost, low quality item they can make a profit on, IKEA sells items that may be low cost, but are designed by them to meet specific criteria for build and utility. I have always found their products to be great value.
Are you sure the IKEA bikes are designed by IKEA to meet specific criteria for build and utility?

I had a Smith & Wesson "Tactician" bicycle for use in SW Asia. I previously owned other products with the S&W brand name that were of great value; the S&W bicycle was worth the zero dollars I paid for it.

I doubt that S&W had anything to do with either the design or the manufacture of the bicycle just because it allowed its brand name/image to be attached to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
S-W bike 29 Nov.jpg (96.7 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg
S-W bike 29 Nov-02.jpg (97.7 KB, 139 views)
Old 01-10-17, 12:46 PM
jefnvk

Are you sure the IKEA bikes are designed by IKEA to meet specific criteria for build and utility?
Like all products at Ikea, they credit the designers for their products:

Originally Posted by IKEA
Designer:
O Juhlin/J Puranen/K Eke
And, the in depth story from them: Designers of SLADDA: Scandinavian bike for the world - IKEA Today
Old 01-10-17, 12:54 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The real value in the Ikea bike is that they will begin appearing on Craigslist at greatly reduced prices in a few years. I'd wait till then.

-Tim-
Old 01-10-17, 12:55 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Like all products at Ikea, they credit the designers for their products:

And, the in depth story from them: Designers of SLADDA: Scandinavian bike for the world - IKEA Today
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-10-17, 01:18 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Having read a little more about it I find it an interesting niche: durable, low maintenance, inexpensive - but heavy and limited by its simplicity (only one size and all). I wouldn't be surprised if it's successful and gets copied by the bike industry.
It's more a copy itself. The bike industry has made durable, low maintenance bikes for a very long time and not that expensive, especially the one that aren't extremely durable. The only thing that makes this bike itself different is the belt drive, and that's not it's strongest point.

What makes it special is that it's from Ikea and there is very little choice instead a confusing amount of choice. That's a good thing, it makes purchasing a bike easy. You only have to trust Ikea to make decent products and because of their enormous size they can offer quite good value for money, nothing really special either, but it will be hard to compete with a simular bike.
Old 01-10-17, 01:30 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Stadjer
You only have to trust Ikea to make decent products and because of their enormous size they can offer quite good value for money, nothing really special either, but it will be hard to compete with a simular bike.
Just out of curiosity, since you are over there and likely know these things, what does a Gazelle (or similar) basic 3-spd Dutch city bike sell for brand new?
Old 01-11-17, 02:57 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Just out of curiosity, since you are over there and likely know these things, what does a Gazelle (or similar) basic 3-spd Dutch city bike sell for brand new?
Gazelle 3 speeds start at around 600 euro, but Gazelle is a luxury brand and that's the very low end of their range, they're not as durable as in the past but they always ride really well, with low mechanical resistance. The Sladda with it's belt drive won't match that. Weight is hardly an issue here, but a 'light ride' certainly is.

But the Sladda is 399 euro here and that's a middle class price. A basic 3-speed Sparta citybike is about 50 euro's more, with front and rear racks that will hold an adult and everything and they have a reputation for low maintenance. And then you can choose a frame size, colour, accessoires and pay more for 7 gears and roller brakes, don't have to become member of the Sparta family, at the LBS you'll probably end up paying 500 euros, but then it's fully assembled, checked and fit to size. Big wharehouse and DIY stores will sell not very well build and not very durable 3-speed city bikes for 300 euros. If Gazelle is the Mercedes-Benz of bicycles, and Sparta is like Volkswagen, than this Sladda better be built like a Volvo or Saab to compete at this price. I believe they wouldn't have put it on the market here if it falls apart after a year of Dutch abuse, that would be bad for the reputation of their other products.

It's a competitive price but in a very competitive market for this kind of general purpose bike. So they didn't work a miracle on the price, but have the advantage of scale and size and in most countries with Ikeas it will be a lot harder to find a bike like this from a different brand in this price range.
Old 01-12-17, 06:24 AM
canadian deacon

Bikes: Ratty ol' fixed gear and a 2013 Kona Dew Deluxe (SS conversion)

Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
IKEA, like every other company, is selling a lifestyle. You have to be able to see yourself in this picture. That is what sells the bike.

Old 01-12-17, 08:37 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by morfeeis
Sort of like a gateway drug? Walmart got me to buy a cheap'O bike and next thing i knew i was on a cannondale synapse doing a century...
Yes, this happens for some. Others get one of these and find the ride uncomfortable, the clickety-clacky out of adjustment gears annoying, the inability to carry more than a loaf of bread on the thin rack useless, and don't like getting grease on their pants. So they determine that bicycling (rather than bicycling on an uncomfortable bike) is not for them. We have a number of Dutch bikes for guests to use when they visit since we ride bikes many places rather than drive. A quite high number have commented how much they enjoy riding on our bikes and dislike riding on the bikes they have collecting dust in their garage. A bunch of gone on to buy Dutch bikes for themselves.

This is similar to the problem of people buying Electra bikes. At first they love sitting upright but then find after a while that 'riding a bicycle' gives them a sore back. The problem though is 'riding a bicycle that is inefficient and with poor geometry that pushes you back on the saddle'.

This is one area where the Ikea bike might be beneficial. The flat handlebars, potentially a more lean-forward geometry, and lack of a decent chain-guard might be issues though. I don't know that most Americans would miss the ring lock or dynamo lighting.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 01-12-17 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 08:41 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I totally picture myself in that photo.

For sure, I always carry my leather valise, a throw pillow, house plant and lamp shade when I ride.

The plant produces oxygen which I need when I get winded on my longer 1.7 kilometer rides and the valise holds my arm warmers, leg warmers, rain jacket, poncho and other clothing in case the weather turns bad. The articulated lamp is a particularly good idea for riding in the dark and the lamp shade ensures that the light doesn't blind other riders on the sidewalk.

The towel hanging off the side of the trailer provides extra braking force when it falls into the spokes. Safety is no accident and you can never have too much brakes!
Old 01-12-17, 09:59 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by canadian deacon
IKEA, like every other company, is selling a lifestyle. You have to be able to see yourself in this picture. That is what sells the bike.
Yup. If a company can make you think that their product fits into your lifestyle, or that if you buy it you will fit int a lifestyle, selling becomes much easier.

No different than Trek:

Specialized:

Giant:
Old 01-12-17, 10:30 AM
NoPhart

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Here's a hint about how challenging assembly may be. Major stuff is already together. The rest does not seem that daunting.

It's much more assembled than that. Unboxing's and less than one hour build videos are showing up on YouTube (simple search will see them). Simple assembly just like any other bike in a box, but they do recommend having a bike mechanic assemble it (smart instructions for any manufacturer). Rear wheel, crank and belt are already on and adjusted. IMHO it's a great concept and just enough different than all the other bikes out there to peak interest.

Interestingly I sent an email to an engineer friend in Australia. He and his wife don't own any bikes, but are thinking about getting a pair to toodle around Adelaide on. He had already read a review on this new Ikea entry...

Here's a Happy Camper!

Last edited by NoPhart; 01-12-17 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 11:10 AM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canadian deacon

That picture make my guads hurt. I hope there's no hills or that poor rider will wish he had more gears!
Old 01-12-17, 11:56 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by shafter
That picture make my guads hurt. I hope there's no hills or that poor rider will wish he had more gears!
And a garage/backyard shed at home to park it overnight and any time it is not in use!
Old 01-12-17, 01:51 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I totally picture myself in that photo.

For sure, I always carry my leather valise, a throw pillow, house plant and lamp shade when I ride.
Oh, I thought the bike and trailer combo came with a free mobile garage sale!

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.