Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

2023 giro d'italia: straight-no fantasy chaser (big-time spoilers)!

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

2023 giro d'italia: straight-no fantasy chaser (big-time spoilers)!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-23, 10:44 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Roglic looking very good after today. I think the crashes affected Remco. He certainly hasn't seemed good since.
Wasn't too bad of a result for Remco today, GC guys just blew the doors off didn't they? Super glad to see Geraint do well - amazing to watch Geraints reaction to second place along with the DS Matteo. Tao seemed subdued about it as well.
Old 05-14-23, 02:43 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Wasn't too bad of a result for Remco today, GC guys just blew the doors off didn't they? Super glad to see Geraint do well - amazing to watch Geraints reaction to second place along with the DS Matteo. Tao seemed subdued about it as well.
Well, he won so yes that isn't too bad. But with respect to the GC battle, I'm sure he was hoping to take more time. Last week at this time, I'm pretty sure everyone would have assumed a minute for Remco here. Roglic looked cooked after the first time point, but he totally turned things around.
I suspect today was the result of Remco's crashes because there was a significant drop off between his performance a week ago and today. Plus, he clearly went out hard which makes me think he was expecting to hold a higher power number than he ended up being able to do. Also perhaps the weather as he's not the greatest bike handler.
Old 05-14-23, 03:12 PM
GrainBrain

^^ Oof just saw the headline that Remco has withdrawn due to covid. Certainly not because he'll began prepping for the Tour this year. Shenanigans.
Old 05-14-23, 04:03 PM
OBoile

^^ Oof just saw the headline that Remco has withdrawn due to covid. Certainly not because he'll began prepping for the Tour this year. Shenanigans.
Just saw this myself. I doubt very much he'd leave to do the tour after focusing so much on this race. COVID explains his somewhat underwhelming results of the last couple of days. It's been going around the peloton a bunch there.
Old 05-14-23, 04:21 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
I hate that I can't watch it on my TV, but $9 USD a month will give you full access on GCN+ in North America without a VPN. Pretty nice for the 40 minute extended highlight reels.
Our charge just came through and it was about $50 for the year. I guess you could do it month to month and only for the season, but if you take the spring classics all the way to Paris-Nice...

We love it, and the offerings are just getting better as time goes on. Orla Chennouai with multiple former pros in pre and post races shows of the major races is so far above anything NBC ever did it's not funny. And there are so many more races covered! And so many of them have great video!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 05-15-23, 05:02 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
I wasn't aware the Giro on GCN was not geo-restricted in the US this year. Good to know.

Casting to Chromecast on the TV from the GCN Android app is very slick. When the VPN doesn't mess with it. A while back I successfully did that while using a VPN on the tablet, because there was an option to allow the cast app to bypass the VPN. But that seemed to stop working, or at least I stopped being smart. No joy via cast these days. If I am running the VPN now, I pull the HDMI cable out of the DVD and stick it into a laptop, then use a wireless mouse to control the laptop from my coffee table. It works.

That's with VPN running on the individual machines. Many years back, I had the VPN running on the router so the whole net was covered. At that point, all the devices were behind the VPN together so they could talk to each other and the cast would work.

It's always something. Jeez.
Old 05-15-23, 05:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Just spit-balling conspiracy theories with a cycling buddy...

Remco's COVID test was apparently done voluntarily by his team, and was not a mandated test. They claim no other members of the team tested positive. Maybe the team withdrew Remco from the race because another kind of positive test was going to show up. It wouldn't be the first time the leader of a Grand Tour was pulled by his team (Michael Rasmussen, 2007 TDF).

I'm probably wrong.
Old 05-15-23, 08:04 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F

Remco's COVID test was apparently done voluntarily by his team, and was not a mandated test. They claim no other members of the team tested positive. Maybe the team withdrew Remco from the race because another kind of positive test was going to show up. It wouldn't be the first time the leader of a Grand Tour was pulled by his team (Michael Rasmussen, 2007 TDF).

I'm probably wrong.
yikes...
Old 05-16-23, 05:57 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts

I'm probably wrong.
Presumably that other kind of positive test would show up anyway, even if he withdrew. He won stage 9 and so they surely took a sample, and they don't throw them away just because he's withdrawn.

so, I'm not buying it.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-16-23, 06:21 AM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Presumably that other kind of positive test would show up anyway, even if he withdrew. He won stage 9 and so they surely took a sample, and they don't throw them away just because he's withdrawn.

so, I'm not buying it.
Agree. Look at the reports from today's stage, Almeida states the whole peloton is sick and it shows. What a rough day today also. Shame for Petilli to leave, he was another sneaky GC top 15. The whole intermarche squad my be leaving. I saw Pozzovivo not start, hoping Riccitello can still do something...

Though I'm certain we will see Remco at the tour. He may have tested positive but he also stated he's at race weight and wouldn't cope well slightly ill in this terrible weather.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 05-16-23, 07:22 AM
OBoile

Agree. Look at the reports from today's stage, Almeida states the whole peloton is sick and it shows. What a rough day today also. Shame for Petilli to leave, he was another sneaky GC top 15. The whole intermarche squad my be leaving. I saw Pozzovivo not start, hoping Riccitello can still do something...

Though I'm certain we will see Remco at the tour. He may have tested positive but he also stated he's at race weight and wouldn't cope well slightly ill in this terrible weather.
Agree with everything here except I don't think we'll see Remco at the Tour. My guess is he'll do the Vuelta again. I don't think there's time for him to be 100% for the TdF, and there's not much point of him going there and finishing 3rd - 5th.

A bunch of people have been sick in this race. It's almost certain that's all this was. The race leader in the 2nd most prestigious race isn't going to abandon unless something is seriously wrong. Froome knew he was going to do the Tour and he still stayed in the Giro despite being well behind Yates until his miracle solo attack.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 05-16-23, 07:49 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Remco's COVID test was apparently done voluntarily by his team, and was not a mandated test.
All testing and covid protocols were up to the teams this year. Now over 20 are out with covid and the Giro is starting protocols.
Old 05-16-23, 08:13 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Stage 10....what a mess.

I actually turned it off after Bettiol was brought down.
Old 05-16-23, 09:30 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

so, I'm not buying it.
I'm not buying it, either. My friend and I were just throwing out nutty conspiracies. As I said, I'm probably wrong. It wasn't a serious accusation.
Old 05-16-23, 02:50 PM
GrainBrain

Stage 10....what a mess.

I actually turned it off after Bettiol was brought down.
I didn't see that but I did see Will Barta's front fork snapped in two. He was up and looking ok though. Vine I think was down with him. Did you see the part with Sivakov, Caruso, Milan off the front on the decent? A pity I think Milan crashed or something caused them to back off.

These are my favorite stages, not for the crashes but just the opportunities that can appear for some. Sweet win for Magnus Cort. The Triple!
Old 05-16-23, 02:52 PM
GrainBrain

I'm not buying it, either. My friend and I were just throwing out nutty conspiracies. As I said, I'm probably wrong. It wasn't a serious accusation.
Mine was, he's totally going to the Tour with no expectations. Him and Merlier - with Alaphillepe? *chefs kiss*
Old 05-16-23, 03:01 PM
MinnMan

I didn't see that but I did see Will Barta's front fork snapped in two. He was up and looking ok though. Vine I think was down with him. Did you see the part with Sivakov, Caruso, Milan off the front on the decent? A pity I think Milan crashed or something caused them to back off.

These are my favorite stages, not for the crashes but just the opportunities that can appear for some. Sweet win for Magnus Cort. The Triple!
Old 05-16-23, 03:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Mine was, he's totally going to the Tour with no expectations. Him and Merlier - with Alaphillepe? *chefs kiss*
Hmmm...maybe. Horner seems to think getting beaten by Tadej won't be good for his brand/image, and that's why he won't do the Tour this year. We shall see.
Old 05-16-23, 06:17 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I doubt his team wants Remco to go, because they barely had the climbing horses needed to support him in the Giro let alone against the top JV squad with Vinegaard and UAE's improving roster to give whatever little support Pogacar ever needs. With barely any ITT and climbs galore, it'd be akin to their mistake of throwing him into his first Giro coming back from injury and likely to end as poorly.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-16-23, 07:54 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

finally! cort gets his! he had been berry berry quiet hunting wabbits.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-16-23, 08:03 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by surak
I doubt his team wants Remco to go, because they barely had the climbing horses needed to support him in the Giro let alone against the top JV squad with Vinegaard and UAE's improving roster to give whatever little support Pogacar ever needs. With barely any ITT and climbs galore, it'd be akin to their mistake of throwing him into his first Giro coming back from injury and likely to end as poorly.
neither the tour nor la vuelta has substantial itt action. tend to doubt remco rides the tour but not beyond the realm of possibility. nothing says he would need to ride the tour as the protected gc rider. could just go for stage wins
and soak up the environment for future visits. the team still needs street/road cred and remco moves the needle. lefevre's gotta justify his employment and stay relevant. alaphilippe's not the automatic contender stagewise as he was the last few years.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-16-23, 08:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
There's photo of Remco riding slowly after his TT win. He looks bad. Not just discouraged because he didn't ride better. https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lef...talia-abandon/

Team gave him the test after the TT, saw the positive and sent him straight home to Belgium. That was Sunday evening. This morning, most of a half dozen riders didn't line up at the start because if COVID. At least a couple of others dropped out sick. Remco really wanted this Giro. I don't believe there is anything underhanded going on. Just what a s****y time to land your first COVID positive. (The toughest one to brush off and ride through?)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-16-23, 08:23 PM
GrainBrain

Oh my goodness that was shocking! Love how the guy just trys to jump back into it without looking but got lucky. If they had been closer Betiol would be swinging! The Giro produces some beautiful stages. Bummer about Barguil.
Old 05-16-23, 09:14 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by diphthong
neither the tour nor la vuelta has substantial itt action. tend to doubt remco rides the tour but not beyond the realm of possibility. nothing says he would need to ride the tour as the protected gc rider. could just go for stage wins
and soak up the environment for future visits. the team still needs street/road cred and remco moves the needle. lefevre's gotta justify his employment and stay relevant. alaphilippe's not the automatic contender stagewise as he was the last few years.
Yeah Remco could go to the Tour for stage wins, but they want to develop him into a premier GC rider and I don't know how stage hunting fits in that plan. The way to develop a GC rider is to have them compete, strive to stay high in GC throughout, gain experience in being consistent and withstanding attacks through 3 weeks of accumulated fatigue. Those are the things Remco needs, not taking it easy and losing time to be allowed to go for stages. If Remco goes to the Tour, he'll be hyped up and viewed as a contender, which will only set him up to disappoint because he and his team won't have the same level of preparation that riders and teams usually spend a year if not more making. Again, a repeat of his first Giro.

Repeating at the world championship, which is close enough to the Tour that targeting both is difficult, would probably be a bigger buzz (though to be fair, Lefevere doesn't pay his riders to win the world champs).

The Vuelta tends to have shorter stages with lesser competition where team strength isnt as big of an issue. If
​​​he goes to defend that, it won't be too difficult for them to prepare for.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-16-23, 11:01 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

^guess it all depends on the amount of pressure the sponsors put on lefevere for remco to ride the tour vs the worlds and la vuelta. will be interesting. lefevere hasn't traditionally greeted the few gc candidates on the squad with open arms and latitude. it's generally been more produce now with stage wins vs a overall gc win.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-16-23 at 11:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.