Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Unexpected Rain at 32

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Unexpected Rain at 32

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 07:29 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Unexpected Rain at 32

Here in Colorado Springs it has been dry lately with highs approaching 50F and overnight lows in the upper teens. My go to weather sources Weather Underground and Meteored had been starting the last two days with rain threats, but then removing them. So I've been riding my fendered bikes, but not the one with studded snow and ice tires.

I usually leave work by 5pm and arrive home by 5:40. Yesterday I left after nightfall at 5:20. A warm, sunny day had turned foggy and misty after lunch and there was moisture on the pavement. I had my 700x35 smoothies on my main commuter, and I had just pumped them up to 95psi yesterday morning.

It was still misting when I left but the wet pavement was still grippy. I had my rain cape in my commute bag, but didn't feel I needed it yet. Then about halfway home the temperature dropped to around 32F and I could feel the tires loosing grip. I considered stopping and dropping the tire pressure, but after another couple of minutes the pavement became dry and remained so for another mile, after which it was wet again, but the temperature had risen to 36F.

Being right at the base of the foothills to Pikes Peak, and having very uneven topography often leads to very localized changes in weather conditions with lots of changes over my relatively short 6 mile commute. My old 9 mile commute was parallel to the mountains and would often have three different weather zones when it wasn't clear and dry. My current 6 mile commute rakes me towards the mountains (and back) but has three to four zones, depending on the route, and they are far more pronounced then the old route.

When I know (or suspect) it's gonna be frosty out I take my MTB with the 26x1.65 studded snow tires. Even if there's no need for the studs, the softer, wider, grippier tires provide good stability, especially with the tire pressure lowered.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-24-24, 06:55 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
The next morning I took the MTB with the Suomi Nokian W106 26x1.65 studded snow and ice tires. The middle section of the commute in to work was frosted and iced.

It warmed again during the day and for the dry ride home I pumped the tires up to 70psi (65psi is the stated max). The bike was almost 2mph faster overall and felt about as light and lively as a ~45lb bike could. Still about 1mph slower than my lighter commuters.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-25-24, 07:49 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
One early morning winter commute I made the mistake of thinking, "oh, it's 36 there's no ice," and then taking the aluminum boardwalk on the trail at much too high a speed; I hit the turn and felt my rear tire slip sideways on a patch of ice (because of course; aluminum in the cold) and immediately catch again. I immediately slowed and took the rest of the ride at a much more moderate pace. Cheap lesson; near freezing is cold enough.
Likes For Korina:
Old 01-25-24, 09:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
My practice from years of commuting - if it might be wet, go with grippy rubber tires not pumped hard. Drop pressure if conditions warrant (or might in the remainder of the ride). Some of my favorite tires (non-studded; studded was not to be found in stores most of my commuting years) were cyclocross tires.

Might be ice? I drop the pressures so low I have to ride slower to not pinch flat, dent rims or have my ties squirm out on a corner. Sucks - until I hit that ice. Then it's "Thank you!"
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-01-24, 10:28 AM
MattoftheRocks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
“700x35 smoothies on my main commuter, and I had just pumped them up to 95psi”

”…1.65” (42mm) … 70psi”

holy crap. That is wild. I did that sort of thing back when I BMX’ed at skateparks & halfpipes a lot as a kid. It was great for a precise mechanical feel on ramps, getting bigger airs off & back on the ramps, and also (predictable priority for a teen) silly easy long fishtailed out skids on warm dry pavement (not really ideal for an adult intending on getting to work by bicycle on time & injury-free in <60°F weather).

I’m at 85F/95R on 23mm tires on Monday mornings with the intent of not pumping them up again till Friday morning at the earliest. 45F/55R on 32mm tires on Monday mornings.

Do your tires “Ping” like brand new school basketballs when you flick them with your finger?