Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Losing key to security skewers

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-23, 08:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts

I had been eyeing those security skewers for years but I didn't want to spend the money. Then earlier this year, someone was selling a set at a flea market for $40. I bought them!

It's nice to lock only the frame and not worry about the wheels. I had been using a cable lock to secure one of my wheels. It takes extra time to do that, and it requires my bike be snugged up to the bike rack or sign post. Now it's easy, and I leave the cable lock at home.

I keep my skewer key on my keyring even though it's heavy and bulky.

And I lost my keys! I never lose my keys!

Do these normally come with two keys? I knew I should order a spare before this happened, even though I never lose my keys.

A whole month passed, and I decided I would bring my bike to the shop to have them destroy the skewers. And on that day, my keys showed up. I had put them in the pocket of my shop apron which, of course, I don't wear every day. Problem averted. I immediately ordered a spare.

How do you deal with this possibility? I'll keep the spare at home.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-24-23, 08:40 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Can you hide a key somewhere on the bike such that you always have it and the thieves don't know about it?
Old 11-24-23, 08:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Can you hide a key somewhere on the bike such that you always have it and the thieves don't know about it?
Maybe. But it doesn't solve my problem. I think I don't mind having the key on my keyring. I'm just concerned about losing the key or my entire keyring and not being able to remove my wheels, especially when I get a flat on the road.

If carrying the key with my keys proves to be burdensome, then I'll look into hiding it on my bike. Or maybe I'll stash the key in my tool bag. I attach my tool bag to my saddle and move it from bike to bike. I normally take the bag with me when I lock it up, so that should work.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-27-23, 03:45 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
I've got Pinlock security skewers on the front and rear wheels of my folding bike. I never travel with the key but most of my trips with the bike are local - errands and stuff. If I ever flatted, I don't carry a patch kit and would just catch a Lyft home if it was too far to walk.

If ever I lose the key, I have the code stored in my notes and can order a new key from Pinhead.
Old 12-09-23, 03:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Canada Post just notified me that they delivered my key today (December 9). I ordered it on November 18, and it was mailed/posted on November 20. So it was with one postal system or the other for 20 days. I don't know how close to typical that is, but it seems long to me. I'm not at home today, so I trust I'll find it there when I get there.

Edmonton AB to Richmond BC to USLAXA US (haha that must mean LAX the airport) to Los Angeles CA to New York, NY.

Old 12-13-23, 12:54 PM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
I keep a tile on my keychain. https://www.tile.com/en-us
Old 01-04-24, 08:48 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Another vote for tile.
Old 02-18-24, 11:19 AM
douis

Bikes: 2019 26" surly long haul trucker, 1984 fuji espree (converted to fixed/single), 1999 fuji touring series

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Don't most of them have a code on them you can use to order a replacement? The pitlock nuts I have for my dynamo hub were coded so I can get a backup tool to fit.
Old 02-19-24, 12:08 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
My DW has a duplicate key to every U-Lock and cable lock that I own. The chances of both of us losing our keys simultaneously are remote. I haven't lost a set of keys in 40 years. But I do occasionally misplace them and have to grab her set if there is a time crunch.
Old 02-22-24, 09:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

You won't believe this. Even I don't believe it. After much searching, I found my keys. And then I lost them again. This time for good, I suspect.

The pinhead key I got from Canada is now on my replacement key ring. Now I'll order another. Ouch. I put an Apple Airtag on my new keyring. I bought a 4-pack. I'll put one in my seat-bag. I don't know what I'll do with the other two.

I have at least one spare for my U-lock, so I won't order a spare for that.

Old 03-05-24, 11:32 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
My keyring is attached to a string, and the string is attached to the belt. In fact, all the content of my pant pockets is partitioned into pouches, and each pouch is attached the same way. There had been too many important things I had lost, including keys, and that strategy solved the problem.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 03-05-24, 12:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I have 3 Kryptonites. I keep all three keys on a Gerber multiknife, a Leatherman and a keyring. Keyring stays at home. Gerber or Learherman always are on my for rides, the Gerber in-town and Leatherman with my good bikes. I have to lose both knives and I'd still have my spares and be able to order more.

(Gerber is small, light and smooth. The Leatherman is a real tool (best pliers I have ever owned for a lot of jobs) but bigger, heavier and tends to catch jersey pocket stitching and rip them. So it lives in a leather pouch. That works super except it is slower to lock and unlock; something I don't do on long rides (no lock) but all the time in-town.

Yes, I am always riding with several keys I don't need. A lot better than getting there and realizing I have the wrong key because I decided on a different bike at the last minute. (Two of the locks live on my in-town bikes full time. Third lives on a small backpack.)

This has worked very well for this space case. I've had to order keys a couple of times but that isn't a big deal. Amazingly I have not lost that Leatherman yet. (Knock on wood.) My sis gave it to me 35 years ago. The Leatherman folk love seeing it when they support rides or I am at a trade show. Some of them have never seen one so old. It's like an old Stanley 9-1/2 block plane. Simply a really good tool.

Oh, goes in my left jersey pocket or right pants pocket. It has come out of my jersey pocket once and a car ran over the Leatherman. (Two keys bent and replaced, small rip in the pouch which got a permanent Barged leather patch. Leatherman came out completely unscathed. Once in 35 years I can live with.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-05-24, 02:10 PM
RangerTampa
-

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I put the spare pitlock key inside the seat post.
Likes For RangerTampa: