Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

People moving your bike w/o your permission

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 10:17 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts

I'm pissed someone keep move my bike around.
I don't use the bike rack because I don't want my bike scratched up or bent,
and there's no rule against parking my bike on the side of an office building.
I have been puzzled why someone keeps moving my bike around.
Then, dawn on me, that whenever I park my bike infront of a particular window,
my bike gets moved while I'm inside building working.
One day I was locking up my bike in front of this particular window (a pretty good spot because it's covered, protected by awning) because my usual spot was taken up by two other bikes, and I look up and saw thru the window a older guy sitting inside the building staring me down with an old nasty look.
I guess he's the one been moving my bike around.
I guess he doesn't like having a bike in front of his window blocks his view of the outside, maybe.
What should one do? Find another spot to park (give in to his bullying) for sake of harmony?
Or confront him, stand my ground, because I have the right to park there?
Old 03-23-17, 10:21 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
One day I was locking up my bike in front of this particular window (a pretty good spot because it's covered, protected by awning) because my usual spot was taken up by two other bikes, and I look up and saw thru the window a older guy sitting inside the building staring at me with a nasty look.
I guess a bike in front of his window blocks his view of the outside, maybe.
What should one do? Find another spot to park (give in to his bullying)?
Without knowing the whole situation, it's possible that he thinks you are bullying him by continuing to put a bike in a place that he doesn't want it. Why not go inside and ask him if he saw someone move your bike? No matter what he answers, you can open a conversation about where the best place to store your bike might be. He may even offer to keep it inside, for you, where it's safe. I'm not sure you have a "right" to park your bike, anywhere, except on your property, so that's probably not the best angle of approach.
Old 03-23-17, 10:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
may be time to post an image of the parking situation..

Here We have a good number of bike racks around town, to lock your bike up to it securely

They're set in concrete, with anchor bolts,

If they can move your bike, the locking scheme you use is likely inadequate..

(didn't you get a folding bike?, you can bring those in, Others do , Bromptons can fit under desks.)

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-23-17 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-23-17, 10:31 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Hard to know without knowing the whole situation. What are you locking your bike to? How far is your bike getting moved? Are you blocking the view of a window that need to be kept clear? You say "an office building" not "my office building", are you just leaving your bike on a building you have no connection with? If they offer bike parking that you refuse to use, isn't it entirely possible that they don't want your bike parked where you deem it to be a good spot, despite your insistence that it is totally OK?

If your bike is regularly getting moved, I'd venture a guess that someone else doesn't think it is an appropriate place. Whether that person has the authority to make that decision or not, I have no clue, and no one else here does either.
Old 03-23-17, 10:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Your bike it not locked to anything?
Old 03-23-17, 10:40 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I don't understand the logic that you are worried about damage at a bike rack, but feel that damage is unlikely in other places.

Also, you have no rights other than what the law and the property owner allow you. Absence of a rule (or the absence of your knowledge of a rule) does not constitute a right.

My advice is to: 1) Verify the municipal code that you are not prohibited from parking where you do. 2) Assuming that it is legal, then ask the property management if it is ok. 3) Assuming that it is ok with them, talk to the gentleman whom you suspect.

Or you could save yourself some trouble and park it in the facility provided (which is what the property owner will probably tell you).
Old 03-23-17, 10:44 AM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Your bike it not locked to anything?
I don't lock it...nothing to lock it to. It's a cheap Dahon...I don't need to lock it.

No post near the building or anything (except the bike rack, which is usually very full).
Because it's a slick office building.

I'm in campus-type professional environment. Well paid workers. No theft.

Well the view here is very nice...I can understand why the guy would be annoyed that a bike is partially blocking his view of the pond and manicured lawn...but he should be working not looking out the window.

Sort of like this. See there're lots of places to park bike next to the windows.
In my case, there are awning-like things over the windows...so I luv to park next to the windows...I don't like the bike racks, they're exposed to the sun and rain, and crowded...don't want to get my derauillers bent.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 03-23-17 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-23-17, 10:56 AM
indyfabz

I don't lock it...nothing to lock it to.
Now you have me totally confused:

"I have been puzzled why someone keeps moving my bike around.
One day I was locking up my bike in front of this particular window"

And why do you call him a bully when you admit that you have to proof he's the one?

Finally, if you are leaving the bike in the path of a walkway, the property management might not want it possibly interfering with access by the disabled. You sound like a master speculator. What is your basis for claiming there is not "rul" about parking your bike where you are when it gets moved?

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-23-17 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-23-17, 11:01 AM
mtb_addict

Now you have me totally confused:

"I have been puzzled why someone keeps moving my bike around.
One day I was locking up my bike in front of this particular window"

And why do you call him a bully when you admit that you have to proof he's the one?
Some times, I lock just the wheel--but people can still pick the bike up and move it around. I only lock the wheel to keep interns from take it for joy ride.
Old 03-23-17, 11:02 AM
indyfabz

Some times, I lock just the wheel. Most times, I forget to bring lock and don't lock. I only lock the wheel to keep interns from take it for joy ride.
See my edits.
Old 03-23-17, 11:05 AM
jefnvk

Are you leaning it up against the window? Is it blocking a walkway? Those canopies are generally for people walking into the building.

From what you are describing, I'd never consider that an acceptable bike parking spot. It may well be Facilities moving it, to prevent damage to the building or facilitate access. They may not want you in the landscaping. After seeing that picture, I'd actually venture a guess that it is not the man you saw who is doing it.
Old 03-23-17, 11:06 AM
mtb_addict

Finally, if you are leaving the bike in the path of a walkway, the property management might not want it possibly interfering with access by the disabled. You sound like a master speculator. What is your basis for claiming there is not "rul" about parking your bike where you are when it gets moved?
Everyone does it...everyone park in front of windows when the bike rack is full (most of the time).
I'm not the only one. There;re at least a dozen bike outside right now parked in front of windows.
Old 03-23-17, 11:08 AM
jefnvk

Can you give us a picture of the actual situation, not a representative building?
Old 03-23-17, 11:14 AM
indyfabz

Everyone does it...everyone park in front of windows when the bike rack is full (most of the time).
I'm not the only one. There;re at least a dozen bike outside right now parked in front of windows.
Are you intentionally coming off as dense? The issue is about the one particular spot you claim your bike is moved from. Perhaps leaving a bike in that particular spot could hinder access by the disabled or hinder egress in the event of an emergency. Since I cannot see that particular spot I cannot tell. And you still haven't explained what proof you have that it's the individual you mentioned. Or have you made all this up for attention?
Old 03-23-17, 11:15 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Can you give us a picture of the actual situation, not a representative building?

Exactly what's needed!
Old 03-23-17, 11:30 AM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Don't know about this one ,,,,, if you don't lock it you don't mind losing it so why are you so concerned about it getting scratched and bent as you put it,,,, don't make sense,,,,
Old 03-23-17, 11:38 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
If he has no authority, then he needs to be put in his place. Talk to your boss.
Old 03-23-17, 11:39 AM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One day I was locking up my bike in front of this particular window (a pretty good spot because it's covered, protected by awning) because my usual spot was taken up by two other bikes, and I look up and saw thru the window a older guy sitting inside the building staring me down with an old nasty look.
I guess he doesn't like having a bike in front of his window blocks his view of the outside, maybe.
What should one do? Find another spot to park (give in to his bullying) for sake of harmony?
Speaking as a fireman, in an emergency, a window can be used as a point of egress, and if that was my office I wouldn't your bike there either.

That being said, he shouild hgave asked you to park elsewhere instead of moving it himself.
Old 03-23-17, 11:48 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
If he has no authority, then he needs to be put in his place. Talk to your boss.
Careful with that, for all we know the OP has no authority in any of this, either. Nor do we know if the person he suspects of moving his bike was even the person who did so.
Old 03-23-17, 11:52 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
If you're parking your bike not in a designated place for bikes, all bets are off. You should be happy it was simply moved, unharmed, to a nearby location. I'm surprised it hasn't been chucked into the street...
Old 03-23-17, 11:57 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't understand why people get angry instead of discussing things face to face.

Say hello, introduce yourself, shake his hand, ask him if he moves your bike or if he knows who does it and take it from there. It doesn't have to be a war. Just two people having a conversation, that's all.

If the guy gets angry or escalates then walk away and figure out what your next step is. He could be your next best friend or have a cute sister who rides bikes too. Who knows?

-Tim-
Old 03-23-17, 12:00 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
Don't know about this one ,,,,, if you don't lock it you don't mind losing it so why are you so concerned about it getting scratched and bent as you put it,,,, don't make sense,,,,
+1. I played along for a bit but always wondered if this all a bunch of B.S.
Old 03-23-17, 12:00 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't understand why people get angry instead of discussing things face to face.

Say hello, introduce yourself, shake his hand, ask him if he moves your bike or if he knows who does it and take it from there. It doesn't have to be a war. Just two people having a conversation, that's all.

If the guy gets angry or escalates then walk away and figure out what your next step is. He could be your next best friend or have a cute sister who rides bikes too. Who knows?

-Tim-
TALK to The Guy in the window, He may know what is going on.

Talk with the Security Dept. You may be violating an Insurance code.

Old 03-23-17, 12:07 PM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
I have 4 different bikes I rotately use as commuter. Two of them I could care less if someone snatches them.
But one of 'em I paid $1600, so I get annoyed when someone decide to push my expensive investment into a bike rack full of dirty rusty huffy and Next cruisers.
I always lock up the wheel on my favorite, just in case like I said an cycle savvy interns wants to take a test drive.

But I don't like it if someone moves even my crappy stuff without my permmission.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 03-23-17 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 12:12 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Careful with that, for all we know the OP has no authority in any of this, either. Nor do we know if the person he suspects of moving his bike was even the person who did so.
Careful about broaching the subject to someone in authority?
Why does mtb need to be in authority to talk to someone in charge? I don't get your point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.