Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Technique for climbing hills?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 09:40 AM
tara1234

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey so I have learned how to spin on the flat and downhill at a good cadence. But I find that its hard to do that at a low gear while climbing a hill, should I just go to a slightly higher gear and grind my way up hills or is spinning still more effective while climbing?

I find that when im spinning my low gear (42/32) I seam to be going at close to walking speed and still gets tiring.
Old 03-25-17, 09:52 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
You need to find your own rhythm. That is the key. Standing and climbing works for some people, but on longer hills, you might get your heart rate too high and blow yourself up before you get to the top of the hill. Watch a few pro races. Even the fittest pros sit on long hard climbs some of the time.
Old 03-25-17, 09:59 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
If you know the course and the specific hill, you'll be able to determine which part(s) are hardest, where you can store up some energy by "finding your rhythm" (as already mentioned), and where you can "attack" by standing up and pushing a bit. The more you understand about the route, the better. Always be considering the gradient, where you can use momentum, and the more climbing you do, the better you'll get.
Old 03-25-17, 10:05 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If your legs hurt, shift into an easier gear. If you find that you're running out of breath, try a harder gear. If your legs and your lungs are both maxing out at the same time, you're doing it right.
Old 03-25-17, 10:10 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If you're using a higher gear ratio , it's better and healthier for your knees to stand up on the pedals then to be sitting in a saddle and grinding your way up...If you don't feel comfortable standing and riding out of the saddle then you should sit and use lower gear ratio and spin your way up.
Old 03-25-17, 10:22 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
New to riding and Hills:

Start in your lowest gear at the bottom.

Sit up Straight. Helps W Breathing.

Both hands near the center of your bars.

Do Not Look at The Top of The Hill.

See How S L O W you can go.

Once you get stronger you can try racing up the hills.

Old 03-25-17, 10:24 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
i t depends ..... I used to be able to spin up hills. the key was to start with a high-ish cadence and shift down before i needed to, so the power-delivery was not interrupted. Best to start as high on the smallest ring as possible (i.e. smallest cog, smallest ring and then shift up the cog.)

Now that my heart (and the rest fo me) simply won't sustain that kind of effort, I have to mix techniques. I spin until my heart protests, then grind, then stand when I need to because I cannot push the gear properly seated--and when I stand, after the first couple big pushes, I gain time to shift into a higher gear... and when I cannot stand any more, I can shift down and grind or spin ... repeat until I finally get to the top .... of my driveway.
Old 03-25-17, 10:27 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
As always, spinning is more effective and much better for knee health. This video is a very good guide to climbing. I would point out how relaxed the climber looks. The only muscles holding much tension are the ones that move the bike up the mountain.

I'm asthmatic so I also pay very close attention to breathing. I'm not fast but I can climb anything in my riding area and I do work at it.
Old 03-25-17, 10:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
New to riding and Hills:

I STRONGLY disagree.

Do NOT start in your lowest gear. You will burn yourself out in a hurry and have no place to go. On most bikes, the lowest gear is Much too low for most hills, particularly the bottoms ... you will Want that gear when you are closer to the top.

Start in the Highest gear you can spin pretty easily at a pretty good cadence (whatever is kind of quick for you ... we all differ.) As for riding position ... whatever works. I generally shift positions many times on a longish climb.

I agree about not looking up all the time. Look far enough ahead for safety, and Breathe.

I do not see the point of going as slow as you can go. Unless and only if you want to use this technique as a painful training technique .... use other techniques.

As a training technique, this might work ... but it will beat you up, like any training technique, and like most training methods ... it won't be fun until it is over, and will hurt worse the next day. And .. the rest of your ride won't be fun, either.

What Ten Wheels suggests might be a decent training technique ... and if you want to train, also do hill repeats---ride up, coast down, ride up, coast down, ride up, cry, fall over, vomit, go home.

For Training, it might work.

If you want to Ride hills .... I would recommend other techniques.
Old 03-25-17, 10:39 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I don't know what the accepted method is but here's what I do. On my old 12 speed road bike where the lowest gears are not low enough, I stand, but not in the lowest gear. The 2nd and 3rd lowest gears work for me. On my new commuter I do the same. But my old mountain bike based commuter has crazy low hearing. On that bike I will sit straight up and grab the elbow rests of the aero bars and spin in a low gear. Of course I'm not racing, and my goal is not burning out be for I get home.
Old 03-25-17, 10:41 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
New to riding and Hills:

I also disagree with a lot of this.

Starting in "your lowest gear at the bottom" will kill any momentum and slow your progress. Maintain whatever gearing keeps you in a comfortable cadence - that's gonna change as the gradient changes. I'm not sure how seeing how slow you can go is particularly helpful, though I suppose it can't hurt (except to make for a longer ride).

Put yourself in whatever position is comfortable, which might not necessarily be sitting up straight. Widening your hands across the bars will help to improve breathing, and allow you to control the bars better if/when you decide to stand.
Old 03-25-17, 10:46 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I STRONGLY disagree.

Do NOT start in your lowest gear. You will burn yourself out in a hurry and have no place to go. On most bikes, the lowest gear is Much too low for most hills, particularly the bottoms ... you will Want that gear when you are closer to the top.

Start in the Highest gear you can spin pretty easily at a pretty good cadence (whatever is kind of quick for you ... we all differ.) As for riding position ... whatever works. I generally shift positions many times on a longish climb.

I agree about not looking up all the time. Look far enough ahead for safety, and Breathe.

I do not see the point of going as slow as you can go. Unless and only if you want to use this technique as a painful training technique .... use other techniques.

As a training technique, this might work ... but it will beat you up, like any training technique, and like most training methods ... it won't be fun until it is over, and will hurt worse the next day. And .. the rest of your ride won't be fun, either.

What Ten Wheels suggests might be a decent training technique ... and if you want to train, also do hill repeats---ride up, coast down, ride up, coast down, ride up, cry, fall over, vomit, go home.

For Training, it might work.

If you want to Ride hills .... I would recommend other techniques.
My tip was for brand new hill riders, not experienced ones.

I have 60,000 miles on my legs

Old 03-25-17, 10:57 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I also disagree with a lot of this.

Starting in "your lowest gear at the bottom" will kill any momentum and slow your progress. Maintain whatever gearing keeps you in a comfortable cadence - that's gonna change as the gradient changes. I'm not sure how seeing how slow you can go is particularly helpful, though I suppose it can't hurt (except to make for a longer ride).

Put yourself in whatever position is comfortable, which might not necessarily be sitting up straight. Widening your hands across the bars will help to improve breathing, and allow you to control the bars better if/when you decide to stand.
For an overpass you might be concerned with momentum. For a real hill, the momentum you carry into the bottom of the hill is not relevant.

10 Wheels advice is reasonable for a newer rider who doesn't yet know how to pace themselves for a given duration. Ideally, you'd like to put out constant power for the hill. If it's a long hill the first part of the hill should feel relatively easy. Worst case you pick up the pace over the course of the hill.

Most riders, particularly new ones, are overgeared so starting in a low gear is not a problem. If you find your cadence going above 95RPM and it still feels easy just shift up a gear.
Old 03-25-17, 12:19 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
... repeat until I finally get to the top .... of my driveway.

Old 03-25-17, 12:44 PM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Theres a pretty steep grade semi long hill in my area that is used by road cyclists and even recreational riders due to its location. Because I ride a single speed cruiser I basically get as much as a head start speed wise then give up at some point lol. But the road cyclist.....ohhh no, they attack that hill just like the last salmon run of their lives they do. Most of them seem to try and pace themselves up a hill and I noticed some LOVE to shift gears most the way up. I know this because im the guy walking up the hill, taking my time as they pass me.

But what I find funny is this. It really doesnt matter how one goes up a hill, your not getting further ahead than anyone else. Because every time I get passed by road cyclists pacing up the hill. By the time I get to the top, most of the time the cyclists are resting at the top lol..I get on my bike, start riding again and leave them behind resting because they consumed so much energy to get to the top.

Its up to you how you approach any hill. I dont think there is a right or wrong way actually...
Old 03-25-17, 02:03 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I ride the perimeter road around Stone Mountain in Georgia. One lap is 5 miles with about about 280ft of hill climbing. I use momentum to climb hills. I get it up to around 34mph on one big hill. Pedal like mad at the bottom. Probably make it about 1/3 of the way up the next hill just on inertia. If you do three laps it's just like climbing a 90 story building.
Old 03-25-17, 03:03 PM
jdw777

Bikes: 2000 Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Psychology tip: look ahead and pick a rock or pole or something, imagine a rubber band tied to it and your bike and spin.

Breaks the hill up, you can vary technique (gear, cadence, standing, sitting, hands etc).

But always spin

Great video above btw +1

Peace o/
Old 03-25-17, 06:25 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by tara1234
Hey so I have learned how to spin on the flat and downhill at a good cadence. But I find that its hard to do that at a low gear while climbing a hill, should I just go to a slightly higher gear and grind my way up hills or is spinning still more effective while climbing?

I find that when im spinning my low gear (42/32) I seam to be going at close to walking speed and still gets tiring.
It's all about trying to find a pace that will allow you to breathe fairly easily and ride fairly comfortably. Unless the hill is really steep. There's no breathing easily and riding comfortably on a steep hill.
Old 03-25-17, 06:28 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Just keep peddling... just keep peddling...
Old 03-25-17, 11:28 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
My philosophy of pedaling is to always use the Goldilocks gear (which is continually changing with terrain) meaning you shift as needed to maintain a constant light pressure with a pedaling cadence that is comfortable. This means, assuming you are pedaling most or all of the time, that, going uphill but carrying momentum from the previous downhill, you would be shifting to lower gears one at a time, just before you need that lower gear. That works for me on rolling hills and mountains, and enables long rides without sore muscles. If you want to stand up and mash pedals in a higher gear, that will make you stronger but it takes repeated hill attacks and obviously, time to recover and develop that fitness. I don't want to stress my knees, so I am content with riding for endurance and stamina. My legs get tired but never sore, even after 60+ miles.
Old 03-26-17, 12:25 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Are we talking about getting up hills, or are we talking about climbing? If it's a quarter mile of who-cares-how-steep, use whatever technique you have to get to the top. Grind it, spin it, whatever-- hills of short duration can be done anaerobically, just muscle up them. To me, climbing is +4% (+200ft/mi) for miles and miles, and that relies on the mix of equipment, technique, and aerobic fitness. Don't have low enough gears, you're gonna have a bad time, no matter your fitness level. I just try to find the gear that's comfortable, and that I can sustain while keeping power output and heart rate relatively steady. Surging will wear you out much more quickly, and getting aerobic recovery while climbing is difficult. I don't love climbing as much as some folks seem to, but I do know that the best way to get better at it is to do it. Climbing more makes you a better climber.

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
That works for me on rolling hills and mountains, and enables long rides without sore muscles... My legs get tired but never sore, even after 60+ miles.
That's called Zone 2, and endurance paced riding is fine if you never wish to get any faster, or ride longer distances. Non-injured, I average 200 miles and ~9,000ft of climbing each week, and there's at least one ride in there that leaves me with sore legs. Soreness is muscles repairing themselves, and it's completely normal. I can give myself sore legs from an hour on the trainer-- you can't do an hour at 85% intensity and not be sore the next day. If you did, then that 85% wouldn't actually be 85%. Low intensity doesn't make you sore because you're acclimated to it. Throw an LTHR/FTP test in there one day. Your legs will be sore for 2 days after 30 minutes on the bike.
Old 03-26-17, 12:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
PEDs.

Or for us ordinary humans who'd rather live a bit longer...

I hate hills and avoid 'em on days when I plan to ride for hours and up to 60 miles (my longest single day rides so far). But when I choose the longer, easier routes I find my hill climbing ability suffers. I notice it mostly in group rides where we encounter only one or two hills and I lag toward the back, in part because group rides challenge me out of my comfort zone of riding my own pace at all times. The slight ebb and flow of group rides can be more demanding even on fairly easy routes.

So about once or twice a week, especially when I have only an hour to ride, I'll tackle the closest rural route with hills and often with head or cross winds, along lots of open prairie. The short version is 10 miles. The longer version without repeats is 20 miles. Usually I'll go for a 14 mile route.

They're all roller coasters. About half are chip seal, which hinders momentum -- the rough pavement demands continuous effort in pedaling to keep up momentum and to relieve some strain on my back and neck from the jolting.

Sometimes I'll climb out of the saddle for the chip seal -- easier on my neck and back -- and sit and spin on the smoother pavement.

Frankly it's not fun. I'll often avoid it for weeks, preferring the flatter 30-60 mile rides. But when I force myself to tackle the shorter hilly route I see gradual improvements when I've plateaued. Last week I set a few new PRs on Strava. I'm still a slowpoke, half the speed of the fastest riders in my area on the same segments.

But averaging 15 mph on a 10-20 mile route that I was struggling to average at 12 mph this time last year is satisfactory progress for me, especially considering I'm riding a nearly 30 lb steel mountain bike, not a featherweight carbon or even 20 lb aluminum road bike.

My next plan is to tackle a few repeats on the toughest segments of the same route. Fortunately the steepest segments (around 8%) have fairly smooth asphalt, so it's a different challenge from the longer 4% or so segments on chipseal. It's 2 miles of fairly steady climbing, then a mix of roller coaster, then back to the 2 mile climb again.
Old 03-26-17, 02:12 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Here's a question ... what kind of hills are you talking about? Around here, you wouldn't get up the hills if you shifted to a higher gear.
Old 03-26-17, 03:20 AM
trailflow1

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts

Is that a 42t big chainring and a 32t cassette? If so, that means your hills are not tough enough.

If that's a 42t cassette and a 32t inner chainring. Thats means you have enough low gears to climb vertical walls at a snails pace. That's a very low gear. If you want to travel faster than 4mph, choose a higher gear yes.

Last edited by trailflow1; 03-26-17 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-26-17, 03:43 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Something that helped me was to put in a weekly hill workout. I would choose a moderately steep hill of a 1/2 mile. This hill was 3 miles from the house which I would ride to and back at a good moderate pace.

I did 8 to 10 speed laps up the hill and just coast back to recover. I found it helped my hill climbing overall.

This was a hill training technique we used on my college's track team.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.