Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Favorite StVZO headlight?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-24, 09:11 AM
bikejeff

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I have one I bought from WTB but the rubber strap is not tight enough for the small cross bar on the Surly Moloku bars. Do you have one that clamps you can recommend?
Likes For bikejeff:
Old 02-14-24, 10:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I think you will find only a few people here to answer based on what they own right now and probably not the brand you mention. However the lighting nerds on MTBR are really nerdy and pretty active. https://www.mtbr.com/forums/lights-a...ht-riding.165/ There's probably a similar or bigger community on the website that you can't type on BF, but you have read. Overlaps with flashlight nerds.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-14-24, 01:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejeff
I have one I bought from WTB but the rubber strap is not tight enough for the small cross bar on the Surly Moloku bars. Do you have one that clamps you can recommend?
You can increase the diameter of your handlebar by wrapping it. I like to use self-fusing silicone tape. Once the tape fuses to itself, you have to cut it, as you can't peel it apart.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-23-24, 04:27 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
I really like the Cateye lights. StVZO compliant. I read some bad reviews about the beam pattern but I find it just fine.

They have a very secure bracket. I went through too many Sigma Sport silicone bands and just gave up on them. I chose the GVolt60 because, for some strange reason, it has the longest battery life of the GVolt series, at least in a few side-by-side tests I have read. You can get the bracket separately for about 4 Euro. Cateye also makes a fork mount bracket available separately. So I have brackets on all my bikes preinstalled and just move the one light around as necessary.

A disadvantage for the GVolt60 is a relatively long recharge time compared to the other GVolts. But perhaps the longer burn time and longer charge time are related to each other? It takes a few hours to charge up.

Last edited by Frkl; 02-23-24 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-23-24, 07:01 PM
bikejeff

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No in Germany but love the light pattern, put the light where you need it, blind fewer other bicyclists.
Old 02-23-24, 08:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I have the B&M Eyc on two of my bikes. Might not help you if you're looking for battery-powered options...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-23-24, 10:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I have the B&M Eyc on two of my bikes. Might not help you if you're looking for battery-powered options...
I put the Eyc on my spouse's bike. She uses it only when caught after dark unexpectedly, as she never plans to ride it in the dark. I installed an under-BB dynamo. She doesn't like the dynamo, of course, because the drag is noticeable. Anyway, the Eyc is seriously bright. And it's so tiny, you can miss it when it's off.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 02-24-24, 03:54 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
No in Germany but love the light pattern, put the light where you need it, blind fewer other bicyclists.
An StZVO certification isn't a guarantee of a good light pattern. Yes, it prescribes that, if the headlight is properly adjusted in terms of up and down tilt, the beam points generally downwards so as not to blind oncoming traffic. This alone doesn't ensure a good pattern. Also, if the headlight isn't properly tilted, the certification means nothing, so a solid mount is indeed essential.

You can see at this website https://fahrradbeleuchtung-info.de/m...er-akkubetrieb the many different patterns that are produced by StVZO certified lights. Actually, this was the website that I used to choose the Cateye GVolt 60. So, while you will have a somewhat downward shaped beam, there is a lot of variation.
Old 02-25-24, 09:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I love the Supernova M99 series personally. I have their new dynamo version and their electric bike M99 mini version and it is plenty bright. I am pretty sure they do battery versions of that light as well usually with the B54 in the title. I would guess the Airstream is also a fine light, I hear excellent reviews on it but I haven't personally used it but in my 6 Supernova lights so far they are all excellent quality, well made, and decently bright and well beamed and StVZO compliant. My only complaint is I can't put a SON on all of my bikes have the M99 DY Pro on everything...LOL. I will say though the B+M IQ-X light on my touring bike is fantastic and really no complaints there but I have had that one a while and the M99 DY Pro wasn't out at the time so maybe I might have done that light instead if I was redoing it which I won't be.