Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 12:20 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by knoregs
Is that on 25C between Warren and Piermont?

Nice bike

~kn
NH 4A beginning in Andover at NH 11, through Wilmot, and the top of the ridge is in Springfield, so south of 25C. 4A actually joins back up with NH 4 before heading through Lebanon to the river.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 07-21-09 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 05:31 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
interesting, but I dont think Grand Prix's ever came with 531 tubing. I guess it's either a different model or not 531?

holiday76, Read that over on the C&V mixte thread also but the decal clearly shows otherwise.

In some related searches I have discovered that Raleigh made some Team USA frames out of 531 but may have been mislabeled due to time constraints.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
531 Raleigh 001.jpg (67.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg
531 Raleigh 002.jpg (100.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 07-21-09, 05:50 PM
Mike Mills

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is, by far, the best-looking frame I've ever seen carrying the Raleigh Grand Prix label. Congraatulations.

What year is it?
Old 07-21-09, 08:21 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Sunday was drive day, and Monday was relax and lay around day. I was feeling pretty out of sorts on Monday after the baking I endured in 102 degree Vacaville heat on Saturday's ride, and I've been feeling a bit lethargic. I really had to force myself out the door this morning, but after about 10 minutes on the bike I was feeling great. And the weather was fantastic!

Looping out of Mammoth Lakes on the Scenic Route CA 203, I descended to Hwy 395 and turned south toward Bishop. My destination was a small settlement called Rovana in Long Valley, some 45 miles distant. I choose this route because it is, in aggregate, a downhill run. Still, there were two climbs involved - one between Crowley Lake resort and Tom's Place, and the other on Lower Rock Creek Road between Tom's Place and the decent into Long Valley.

There really isn't too much to talk about here - the weather was just about perfect, traffic was almost non-existent, the scenery was spectacular, and I had it all to myself. It was just about a perfect ride.

Reaching the floor of Long Valley, I only had to wait 30 minutes or so for the chase car (wife, daughter, and dog) to reel me in. I spent that time profitably, looping through the valley roads, taking pictures and padding mileage.

A few pics - mind you, the lighting was not too cooperative, so they didn't come out too well. But, they will give you an idea of where I was and what I saw.

Glacial terminal moraine debris in front of 11,800' Mt Laurel, Hwy 395 just south of Mammoth:

12,366' Mt. Morrison, and the road to Convict Lake:

Looking back at 11,059' Mammoth Mountain, with the 12,264' Minarets visible towards the center:

Overlooking US Hwy 395, southbound down the Sherwin Grade:

Top of the Lower Rock Creek Road climb, looking south across Long Valley and getting ready for a ~10 mile descent:

Destination, Long Valley, ~ 10 miles distant:

Looking east across the Owens Valley at the White Mountain range, featuring 14,252' White Mtn:

13,658' Mt Tom, seen from the floor of Long Valley:

11,742' Wheeler Crest in foreground, Mt Tom in the distance:

Looking north at the end of the ride, back across Long Valley towards Old Sherwin Grade:

S. J. Perelman
Old 07-21-09, 11:59 PM
Mike Mills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lucky man! I know those scenes, even without your descriptions. I love that place. I love the eastern Sierras. It's dry as a bone but one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Unfortunately, we won't be vacationing in Mammoth this year. We are going to the Central Coast, on US Hwy 1 - San Diego, Cambria, Monterrey, ...

My treat may be to stop at Cambria Bike (in Cambria, of all places) and buy some rims, spokes and tubular tires for a wheel build I've been meaning to do.
Old 07-22-09, 03:30 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
My first ever experience in the West was a drive from LA to Mammoth Lakes and Mountain. I was immediately hooked!

Recently Mrs. PB told me she had a couple of free tix on Southwest for all her travel to USAZorro land. I told her I wanted to go out west. All I need to do is show her your pics and I KNOW she will book our seats! Thanks for the great shots!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-22-09, 08:30 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Today, I decided to ride up to June Lake, and ride around the June Lake Loop. I was up around 7:30 or so, but the thermometer read 67 degrees so I decided to wait for it to warm up just a touch. So, I snoozed a bit more, and ended up rolling out at around 10:30. What a slug.

An hour later, I ground my way to the top of Deadman Summit in 85 degree weather without a single cloud to give me cover. I was sweating pretty good, but the short descent down to the beginning of the loop cooled me of very nicely. A quick stop at the gas/mini-mart for Gatorade and a Payday, and I was good to go.

As I crested Oh! ridge and looked over June Lake Basin, I noticed two things - 1) the wind was picking up, and 2) there were dark clouds concentrating over the Sierra Crest in front of me. Very dark and very concentrated, but it seemed like a small, localized patch and looked to be hung up on the peaks. so, I continued on past Silver and then Grant Lakes, and kept an eye on the weather in front and to the west of me. I could see the lines formed from the clouds to the ground as the clouds were torn open on the jagged rocks, disgorging their cargo of water. Great. could be worse, though - there could be lightning.

The girls overhauled me as I crested the last ridge and began the shallow descent toward Mono Lake. I sent them on ahead to wait for me at the 395 junction, and enjoyed my last roll-out for the day. With 35 miles and about 2000' of climbing, I decided to call it a day - the wind was building, and there were other little bands of very dark clouds starting to form up and down the valley.

Calling it quits turned out to be a very good move - I wasn't in the truck more that 15 minutes when we saw a spectacular bolt of lightning flash into the ground a mile or so away. The light from its' energy had yet to completely fade when we heard the crack and boom of the thunder. As we drove back to the condo, we alternated between blue skies and torrential sheets of rain. Looking at the thermometer, I discovered that the temperature, 85 degrees 20 minutes ago, had dropped to 58. By the time we got 20 miles up the road, it was up to 92 again. Pretty wild.

Anyhow - a few pics from today's adventure:

Deadman Summit:

June Lake, as seen from Oh! Ridge:

Passing Silver Lake, looking at 12,962' Koip Peak:

After climbing up and away from Silver Lake - the first sign that there might be weather ahead:

Squiggly road that hugs Grant Lake. I shoot this pice every year, but I never get tired of it:

Looking arcoss Grant Lake, towards Mono Lake. Hardly a cloud in the sky:

Starting the last descent to ward Mono:

Here it comes:

I finish:

It's here:

S. J. Perelman
Old 07-23-09, 11:13 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

And now for something completely different.......

I'm not much for mountain biking, and what mountain biking I've done is prety much limited to fire roads. I've never done single track, and certainly have never rolled off the top of an 11,059' dormant volcano. So, That's just what I did today. Mammoth Mountain is a world clas ski resort, and it turns out it is a pretty slick bike park in the summer.

It was pretty simple - rent a bike, take the gondola to the top, and let gravity have it's way. The view from the top was spectacular, and this mountain bike stuff is a hell of a lot of fun.

At the base, looking up:

Waiting to board:

The ride up:

Another from the gondola:

Almost there:

Arriving at the top:

At the top:

View from the top:

Some single track:

S. J. Perelman
Old 07-24-09, 10:15 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Today was a beautiful day, so we did a reprise of the June Lake loop - with a twist. After ending the 15 mile loop, we doubled back up Hwy 395 for a quarter of a mile and then turned east on Hwy 120 and headed off towards Benton Hot Springs.

On Hwy 120 we skirted the south shore of Mono Lake, and started a long slow climb up to Sagehen Summit. It is not too difficult of a climb, but it is ~10 miles long, in the sun, and there is absolutely no water. But it sure is beautiful! After summiting, we charged towards Apache Valley down a spectacular 10/11 mile descent with an unbelievably stunning vista all around to enjoy.

With impeccable timing, the girls overhauled us on the flats after ~43 miles of fun. Good thing, too, as we were just draining the last drops of water from our bottles.

As a side note, we had a favorable wind for much of the ride. On four different decents, I reached speeds of 43, 49, 51, and 50 mph.

A great day!

Skirting Grant Lake, at the far end of June Lake Loop:

Chasing my buddy Vic down to Mono Lake:

Cruising through the pumice fields around Mono Craters:

Big Sand Flat, just before the last bit of the Sagehen climb:

Topping out:

Proof:

Looking down the backside of Sagehen, towards Adobe Valley:

Looking back up:

A little further down:

Looking east towards the White Mountains:

S. J. Perelman
Old 07-24-09, 11:40 PM
Mike Mills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just in case anyone missed it, that entire route and the entire area is up at 6,000 to 8,000 feet above sea level - even the stuff that looks flat is really, really high up. The air is thin. The sun is strong. It is most excellent!

When you first arrive at Mammoth it takes time to acclimate, usually a day or two. Go too high, push too hard for too long and you risk altitude sickness. A mild case just sucks (headache, tiredness). A bad case can be debilitating. A really bad case, ...is worse.

I also find I cannot drink enough water. It is all too easy to get dehydrated. Drink, drink, drink, ... all day, every day. At night, when you wake, drink some more. They have some mighty fine tasting water in that area, too.

I am so jealous, ...argh!!!!!!!

Last edited by Mike Mills; 07-24-09 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-25-09, 11:36 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by Mike Mills
I am so jealous, ...argh!!!!!!!

I wasn't going to ride today, but tomorrow is "travel back to reality" day so I grabbed a leisurely 12 miles before calling it quits.

This time, I stayed local and rode up to Mary Lake from Mammoth Lakes Village. Basically, it is a two mile climb to the saddle, and then a loop through the Mammoth Lakes basin and back down. It didn't look like a hard climb, but I was gasping pretty good by the time I topped out. Turns out, I ended up at an altitude of 8,950' - the highest I've ever ridden on a bike.

The weather was fantastic (again), and we had a great ride. Tomorrow, we head for home.

S. J. Perelman
Old 07-26-09, 05:45 AM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
BBM,

How are you finding the Dancelli?
Old 07-26-09, 09:18 AM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
BBM,

How are you finding the Dancelli?
It's nice. I just gotta tear it down and fix the chain line issue.

S. J. Perelman
Old 08-01-09, 04:47 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I had a really nice ride last night as after the CM ride had to head west across the city to help my friends out with their tandem... they are a wonderful young couple and my friend D has been wanting to get back into riding but needed a functioning tandem as without it and her seeing eye captain and husband, she's grounded.

Anyways... despite only having my one speed coaster bike I decided to drop into the valley and ride west along the bike path, avoid traffic,and enjoy the scenery.

Charged up on ginger snaps I flew down into the valley and gave it all I had as I proceeded to burn up the miles along the river and got a really good workout on the climb out which is rather long and brings you back up 900 or so feet over a few kilometres. Most of the rooutes out of the valley are not this kind.

I imagined myself to be like one of those early racers and if I had a tubular wrapped around my shoulders I would have even looked the part.

I even passed some guy on a modern bike and kit on the flats but he killed me on the climb... and he gave me a "nice bike" and thumbs up.

After working on the tandem (my friends live at the top of the climb) I went back the way I came and was pretty thrilled with the descent speed and once I crossed the valley I made like Pantani and climbed back out on what was a shorter but much steeper grade and came home to rest and refuel after what was basically a pretty good tt effort and tucked in the old girl until the next time.

I'll be going back tomorrow and will ride the same route but since I need to pack a few parts and tools will use some lower gears and maybe even a couple of them.

And I'll even remember to take some pics of what is really a nice route since I won't be in such a hurry.

Old 08-01-09, 09:29 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Rode a 50 miler through the hills of Sussex County to the NJ State Fair in Augusta. Cyclocross racing was being featured as an spectator event for the first time, so a riding buddy and I figured we'd check it out. Unfortunately, it didn't make for great spectating. Apparently, the course wasn't ideal, and we only caught the latter half of an amateur race. Some of the organizers claimed the Pro race would be more exciting to watch, but it was starting too late for us, and another spectator told us the race list wasn't all that impressive anyway. Very few fans were in the stands, and many of those who wandered in wondered aloud when the motocross was starting.

In any event, it was another nice ride on the rural roads of NJ. The pulled BBQ pork sandwiches and sweet potato fries were good, and the livestock displays were fun to walk through. I even got a little mud on my vintage Trek on some rail trails we took en route (no photographic evidence, though - I really need to start thinking more like a photojournalist).

Maybe it would have been more interesting with the monster truck driving the course at the same time:

There was also a small trials course set up. Here's Matt Gilman, a blind trials rider:

Old 08-01-09, 09:54 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I went to visit a friend...
It's been two months since I've seen him, and today was the first time I'd been by myself...
It was a hard trip there and back.
-Gene-
Old 08-01-09, 09:59 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was given this 1978 Raleigh Tourist by a friend. I had been seeing it in her barn for over ten years and finally asked her if she wanted to sell it. She was surprised I was interested in it and happy to give it to me! I hosed off the pigeon poop, pumped up the tires (the front is original), and oiled the brake rod joints, shift lever and rear hub. I decided to store the bike at work so I could ride on my lunch break. Right outside my office there is a path along Lake Winnipesaukee. This cell phone pic is from a few days ago when I was able to get in about a mile of puttering around on the lakefront. The tires have not lost any air, by the way.
Old 08-01-09, 10:05 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
45 miles round trip for breakfast of huevos rancheros. can't beat that.

Old 08-02-09, 08:59 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Took the Univega Super Strada to Aliso Viejo to see a friend who was celebrating her fortieth anniversary by hosting a greyhound adoption event at the local Petsmart. Doggies liked the attention. If you want a big (55-90lb) dog, consider one. It was a 44 mile round trip with temps in the 90s, steep(ish) grades & a head wind on the way home. The SS is a fantastic bike. I'm trying to get back into condition.
Old 08-03-09, 01:24 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Saturday I joined the Stark county bike club for a 20 mile ride. I was a little late getting there so I had to hurry to catch them. Once I caught up I introduced myself and had a really nice time. I decided to join even though it's late in the year, I am excited to have a local group to ride with finally.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 08-03-09, 10:55 AM
rmikkelsen

Bikes: '78 Chris Kvale, '87 Paramount

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Caad 4 Pastorbob.
Yesterday my new stepson Alex had his maiden voyage (and first road bike ride) on a Trek 1400 I helped him build. We rode a figure-eight loop from Haverhill, Mass to Benson Ice Cream in Boxford, where we refuled on fresh raspberry sundaes.
The Trek frame (a repaint?) came from ebay. We used the Sora-based group from a theft-damaged Craigslist Specialized Sequoia, and a nice Ritchie 32-spoke wheelset, also off Craigslist. A last-minute hitch caused by a wrongly measured seat tube was resolved when I found a braze-on Campy Daytona triple FD in my parts box, and made a mad dash to Exeter cycle for an adapter ring. Total investment: about $500. Experience working with a mechanically-minded young man on a fun project: priceless. My thoroughly modern wife of one-month, Tatiana, joined on her Caad 7. Andrew, 14, rode my sentimental favorite, a 1978 Chris Kvale NR repainted by Chris three years ago. It was also his first voyage, and he managed well with the downtube shifters.
I scooted around on my trusty '87 Paramount / Campy C-Record like a happy border collie.

Last edited by rmikkelsen; 08-03-09 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 10:15 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I live in the bay area in SF and there does not seem to be any real good riding roads for some nice long distance, safe, fast, spinning rides.
I'm coming back to road riding again after a two decade hiatus. Used to ride in my college and post college days in the Milwaukee area, in Wisconsin where we had just miles and miles of nice smooth roads next to Lake Michigan. With the correct routing plan, you can ride without almost no stopping for almost over 30 miles straight, so daily 50 milers were easy to do before classes starts in the morning. The roads extends nicely northwards from the City to the countryside to do weekend centuries too.
The roads in the bay area just seem too congested with cars/traffic (doesn't help when the drivers here aren't too concious of bikers, unlike in more "bike friendly" Wisconsin) to make it safe and enjoyable to ride the similar distances at the same pace. It seems like the only real open/safe roads I see over here are some office parks near Redwood city, next to the bay, but biking in those areas seem to be a lame, scenery-wise, plus all the speed bumps that they have there just won't be fun.
HWY 32 (Skyline) in the mountains off Interstate 280, south of the City, seems real nice too, but the challenging climbs to get up and down those mountains might be too much for me to try yet. Maybe after some time after I build up my endurance on the bike again, I'll try it, but where do I go to do that flat road training to get started??

Chombi
84 Peugeot PSV

Last edited by Chombi; 08-04-09 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-04-09, 11:40 AM
Mike Mills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to the real world of urban jungle cycling in California. Honestly, in my opinion, this place sucks for cycling. Even New York City was much better. I am lucky to be where I am in southern California, in that I have access to the beach bike path that runs from Santa Monica to Palos Verdes. Over the decades, it has been degraded but it is still a very viable route of which I never seem to tire.

Are there really no bike paths around the perimeter of the Bay?

Last edited by Mike Mills; 08-04-09 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 01:06 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Yes, I think there are paths near the bay next to the airport which is close enough to my neighborhood to regularly go to, but most paths are more like narrow running paths and you do have to watch out for many joggers along the way. It doesn't help if you want to really put your head down to so some fast "motoring" miles. You might end up with a dangerous situation if you do. I've heard of other bike paths in other parts of the bay, but I really want to go to a place that I do not have to transport my bike in a car to get to. We had it really good in Milwaukee where our rides start right at our front doors. It all comes down to just the very high volume of motorvehicles in California makes that hard to happen in most urban areas over here.

Chombi
84 Peugeot PSV
Old 08-04-09, 01:46 PM
Mike Mills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Paradoxically, the state that should be the finest in the Union is actually one of the worst. There is also a very pervasive anti-cyclists mind set, too. They seem to feel that cyclists have no rights to the roadway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.