Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I'm an old bike racer, looking to tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I'm an old bike racer, looking to tour

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-21, 10:46 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
A single wheel trailer might be a good option...
I used to take leisurely daily rides through a state park next door. Often I would stop a talk to the bicycle touring travelers on that evening ride. It would appear that the ones using a simple trailer had the easiest set up for over night camping. These riders were doing long tours along well pave roads.

On the other hand, riders who were taking back roads or unimproved roads and camping in undeveloped areas were using panniers as a rule. Their set up was very compact with all thier gear tight and well secured to the frame.
Old 10-03-21, 05:50 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I used to take leisurely daily rides through a state park next door. Often I would stop a talk to the bicycle touring travelers on that evening ride. It would appear that the ones using a simple trailer had the easiest set up for over night camping. These riders were doing long tours along well pave roads.

On the other hand, riders who were taking back roads or unimproved roads and camping in undeveloped areas were using panniers as a rule. Their set up was very compact with all thier gear tight and well secured to the frame.
Good observations. At this point I am not interested in investing in yet more camping equipment. We have accumulated good quality tents and bags and why purchase more. Thinking the trailer is a great way to go. My interest is to get away for a night or two. Using trails and lesser used roads. And keeping it close to home I am mainly on flat land. I am seeing used dog trailers listed on FB and those look to be a nice size. The trailer wiuld allow me to bring a nice sleeping pad, PILLOW, stove, utensils, lights, etc. And the trailer could haul wood once I get to the campground. I'm liking this idea.

I also tested out my semi loaded panniers on my Mercier. Nice solid ride. Hardly noticed the additional weight and no issues with heel strike on bags. I grew up in this era of bikes. Steel lugged franes are not whippy, and the geometry of a 1970 bike is more touring than racing. Long wheelbase, relaxed angles, I consider it the golden age of lugged steel. And the components are obviously time tested. MAFAC brakes, Nervar crank, Simplex derailleurs, 50 years old and going strong. An acquired taste from long hours in the saddle perhaps.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 10-03-21, 09:07 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
That's really good that already the bike feels good with panniers on. The trailer thing is certainly a possibility, I've never toured using one, but I certainly pulled kids in trailers and then those trail-a-bikes, rear wheel only things that attach to dad's bike.
bit of getting used to, but very quickly adapt to it.
As you say, especially if flat, they work pretty good and make it easier to use your equipment.
To have a fun time and get out is all that matters, so it sounds like it's something that can easily happen.

again, have fun getting it planned out.
and yes, a pillow is a nice plus. I always bring my camp one.