Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Home Made ebike Maint Stand

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Home Made ebike Maint Stand

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-21, 08:58 AM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Talking Home Made ebike Maint Stand

Being a crafty practical type I cobbled together an easy wooden stand to see if it works prior to sending off for a store bought maint stand. This is not pretty but could work for those that need to get the wheel off the ground for derailleur, spoke, wheel, adjusting and chain cleaning. I hold it in place much the same way I strapped motorcycles in the bed of pickups and trailers. Maybe it will help someone... :^) We have 5 bikes and the ebikes weigh the most and hardest to deal with. Ugh.

Old 10-03-21, 04:20 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
Good idea. I use my bike trainer on conventional bikes but it probably would not fit an e-bike.
Old 10-04-21, 08:45 AM
forresterace
Senior Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1988 Fiori Italia, 1990 Fiori Firenze)

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Beats me! I've studied your two photos extensively. I guess I just can't see the anti-gravity device that's holding the rear wheel up off the floor.
Old 10-04-21, 08:51 AM
Sempervee

Talking

Originally Posted by forresterace
Beats me! I've studied your two photos extensively. I guess I just can't see the anti-gravity device that's holding the rear wheel up off the floor.
It's sex Magic!

*The RAD mini bikes come with a bracket to sit on when folded up protecting the under carraige and Chain ring. The pedal arm is blocking the bracket. :^)

Last edited by Sempervee; 10-05-21 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-11-21, 09:16 AM
klevin

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sempervee
It's sex Magic!

*The RAD mini bikes come with a bracket to sit on when folded up protecting the under carraige and Chain ring. The pedal arm is blocking the bracket. :^)
So why didn't you show a picture from the other side? Anyway, all you did was make a simple platform. If you had a bigger ebike, or one that doesn't have some odd protection bracket, this would not work, would it?
Old 10-11-21, 09:21 AM
Sempervee

Originally Posted by klevin
So why didn't you show a picture from the other side? Anyway, all you did was make a simple platform. If you had a bigger ebike, or one that doesn't have some odd protection bracket, this would not work, would it?
You are just a student of the obvious. Works for folding ebikes. A lot of ebikes are folding style. This is for them. 26 inch wheels don't work on 20 inch bicycles either, Need I have to state that too?
Old 10-11-21, 09:28 AM
klevin

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You are just a student of the obvious. Works for folding ebikes. A lot of ebikes are folding style. This is for them. 26 inch wheels don't work on 20 inch bicycles either, Need I have to state that too?
Oh. So why do you need a stand? And I note that this platform is hardly most folks definition of a stand. Seems you could have just used a few thick old books?

Maybe your title should have been "support for folding ebikes"!
Old 10-11-21, 10:48 AM
Sempervee

You are beginning to sound like a TROLL. Did you waste 2 precious seconds reading a post that had no worth for you? Sounds as if you need to be spoon thread your info.

It's harder to argue against an idiot than it is to argue with a genius.

Old 10-11-21, 12:20 PM
klevin

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You are beginning to sound like a TROLL. Did you waste 2 precious seconds reading a post that had no worth for you? Sounds as if you need to be spoon thread your info.

It's harder to argue against an idiot than it is to argue with a genius.

Ooh. Another example of your creativity. You can use the font tool! Whoopie! Any more examples of your creative genius?

I totally agree with your bold statement though.
Old 10-14-21, 09:32 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Ebikes are difficult to elevate for maintenance. Theres so much going on on my conversion (torque arms, motor cable, rear rack, disc brakes and rotors, etc) it's hard to find a place to even lift on (triangle battery, controller, excess wiring wrapped around seat post, rear light wires, etc). I've finally learned to loosen rear top strap of triangle battery to free a couple inches of top bar where it joins seat tube, and lift the bike onto work stand by lifting on left chainstay and stem. I'm always concerned that something will break, especially the top bar or workstand) but so far this seems to work. Now if I can only get the rear brake pads to stop dragging...
Old 10-14-21, 10:01 AM
Sempervee

Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Ebikes are difficult to elevate for maintenance. Theres so much going on on my conversion (torque arms, motor cable, rear rack, disc brakes and rotors, etc) it's hard to find a place to even lift on (triangle battery, controller, excess wiring wrapped around seat post, rear light wires, etc). I've finally learned to loosen rear top strap of triangle battery to free a couple inches of top bar where it joins seat tube, and lift the bike onto work stand by lifting on left chainstay and stem. I'm always concerned that something will break, especially the top bar or workstand) but so far this seems to work. Now if I can only get the rear brake pads to stop dragging...
I know what you mean about adapting a work around. Don''t know what type of brakes? Disk or pads? If Disk - raise wheel and spin tire with brake bracket loose then while in air spinning pull brake handle and hold while tightening brake bracket. This will center the brake pads. How I do it. Hope this helps,
Likes For Sempervee:
Old 10-14-21, 10:19 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I guess Klevin doesn't understand what a biache it is to drop the rear wheel on a 65 pound electric folding bike. I could use this on my bike.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 10-14-21, 10:28 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
I know what you mean about adapting a work around. Don''t know what type of brakes? Disk or pads? If Disk - raise wheel and spin tire with brake bracket loose then while in air spinning pull brake handle and hold while tightening brake bracket. This will center the brake pads. How I do it. Hope this helps,
That works for my bike too. If there is still rubbing, the disc may be bent.
Likes For 2old:
Old 10-15-21, 09:15 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Originally Posted by 2old
That works for my bike too. If there is still rubbing, the disc may be bent.
Nah, it's the darned Tektro disc brakes. My other bike with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes adjusts easily. The Tektros seem to rub a little no matter what you do. I think the pad retraction is uneven and unpredictable.

Lifting a 55 lb. bike onto the work stand to tweak brakes isn't something I want to do frequently, so I just live with it. So my motor has to overcome 1W or whatever drag the rubbing causes. I was just venting on the Tektros. They do brake well though, with 180mm rotors.
Old 10-15-21, 09:47 AM
Sempervee

Nah, it's the darned Tektro disc brakes. My other bike with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes adjusts easily. The Tektros seem to rub a little no matter what you do. I think the pad retraction is uneven and unpredictable.

Lifting a 55 lb. bike onto the work stand to tweak brakes isn't something I want to do frequently, so I just live with it. So my motor has to overcome 1W or whatever drag the rubbing causes. I was just venting on the Tektros. They do brake well though, with 180mm rotors.
Problem is Tektros being mechanical and not hydraulic is they only push the pad from one side and not both!
Old 10-15-21, 11:57 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
If it's Tektro mechanical, I adjusted one "by eye" moving the unit until the disc was in the middle and it didn't rub.
Old 10-17-21, 09:14 AM
Chuckles1

Problem is Tektros being mechanical and not hydraulic is they only push the pad from one side and not both!
Tektros are hydraulic. REAR one is difficult to adjust, as there is very little clearance between caliper body and bike frame. Rotor is very close to frame as well. Being a rear hub drive kit, I was just glad it fit, albeit barely. I put torque arms on both sides, in an abundance of caution, so there a lot of stuff in a little space down there.
Old 10-17-21, 11:02 AM
Sempervee

Tektros are hydraulic. REAR one is difficult to adjust, as there is very little clearance between caliper body and bike frame. Rotor is very close to frame as well. Being a rear hub drive kit, I was just glad it fit, albeit barely. I put torque arms on both sides, in an abundance of caution, so there a lot of stuff in a little space down there.
My Tektro brakes are mechanical not true hydraulic although RAD calls them so, among their other Faux Pas..