Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Poll: Tape Color

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: Which color to match saddle in photo?
Light brown
25.49%
Dark brown
74.51%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Tape Color

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 07:36 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Fwiw, I was looking for bar tape with some interesting color and patterns for my dull grey Ti bike. I ended up with some from Serfas, which has lots of choices:

https://www.serfas.com/product-categ...ucts/bar-tape/

I also really like the eastern and western rattler tape from campandgoslow:
https://www.campandgoslow.com/produc...ttler-bar-tape
https://www.campandgoslow.com/produc...esnake-bartape
I got this one from Serfas last month to use on my Clockwork because it is mostly just blue with a small white decal. I thought about doing a harlequin wrap but this will be so much easier. The quality seems very good.

Old 03-19-21, 05:12 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
I ended up going with the majority vote. I'm good with it, but it isn't a perfect match to the saddle.

As Fender1 pointed out, this tape is a royal pain to work with. I won't buy it again. My reason for buying it was assuming that Brooks did their homework on matching their saddle colors.

Included with the tape was some cloth finishing tape. I haven't decided weather to use it or not. For now, electrical tape will suffice.

Thank you for all of your input.

Likes For Roger M:
Old 03-19-21, 05:25 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
My reason for buying it was assuming that Brooks did their homework on matching their saddle colors.
Fairly certain they did - leather tape typically darkens with use, as oils and skin penetrate it. The one you chose is - I believe - to match the color in darker saddles once worn. The lighter one is to match color in lighter saddles once worn.

Likes For francophile:
Old 03-19-21, 10:02 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
I've used this tape three times, and each time I reached for some standard-issue black plastic bar-end plugs instead of those solid rubber things Brooks includes. Maybe it's just me.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 03-23-21, 06:04 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Thank you for the update. I picked up a used Brooks Swallow (cheaper than a B17 new, and anything else) that has much of the darkening or seasoning of your B17. I finally got it to a local bike shop that sells all three Brooks bar tape colors, and wouldn't you know, my saddle's brown is smack dab in the middle of Honey and Antique Brown....

For those of you in similar positions, trying to get tones to match, outside of finding an old Chevy truck, getting under it and taking a big swipe off the bottom of the oil pan, and rubbing it on the bar tape to darken it, what have you done? Part of me thinks taking some darker shoe polish and doing so, but then it gets on one's hands and that's a no go. But something to that effect. Not interested in shellac at all.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: