Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is this a Bianchi of significance?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 05:05 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked 2,073 Times in 742 Posts

Found this bike for next to nothing. I was thinking of building it for a friend but I don’t know if this is a lesser model or highfalutin?

It didn’t come with a fork. I found a pink Bianchi fork at the local co-op.

Says made in italy

Where are the numbers? Under the plastic bit?

I’m assuming with the campy Veloce components it probably doesn’t qualify as Classic, but I know nothing about Bianchi.
Old 05-25-23, 05:33 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2625 Post(s)
Liked 3,173 Times in 1,808 Posts
That's an upper-middle to upper-end bike. Very nice find.

The serial number is lightly stamped into the bottom bracket shell---from what I read in the photo, the number begins with AY0.

One thought: a used frame missing the original fork deserves close examination for evidence of a front-end collision. Are there any wrinkles in the paint on the top or bottom of the down and top tubes near where the tubes join the head tube?

Also, maybe it's because of the angle from which the photo was taken, but it looks as if there is less than the usual amount of clearance between the front wheel and the bottom of the down tube.

Nothing conclusive there, though. If the front end of the frame is fine, which it probably is, that's a great score.

Edit: the brazed-on seat binder fitting looks as if it might have broken away from the seat tube. Hope it's just dirty. The height of the seat is worrying, though. If some tall (and heavy) rider overstressed it, that brazed fitting would have borne the brunt of the force. I suggest checking to see whether the binder bolt is working correctly to hold the post in place (and that the post hasn't corroded inside the seat tube).

Last edited by Trakhak; 05-25-23 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-25-23, 05:36 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 995 Posts
For a friend, no not that one.
Old 05-25-23, 05:43 PM
Robvolz 

No evidence of damage. The fork was carbon fiber, said Bianchi on it, it was removed and put on somebody else’s

I wondered the same about the seat post, it’s just grease and grime.

I put the seat post in there. Nothing has been adjusted. I prefer to hold it in the stand that way

its a co-op bike. The girl in question thinks Bianchi in Celeste equals class.

The Veloce RD was on it. The rest I gathered.
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 05-25-23, 05:47 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
IMO it's a steel, celeste bianchi made in italy. No doubt it deserves a life of continued road riding. Build it up in good health!
Likes For AngryScientist:
Old 05-25-23, 05:56 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 470 Posts
Hiding In Plain Sight

Originally Posted by Robvolz

Where are the numbers? Under the plastic bit?
Likes For machinist42:
Old 05-25-23, 06:30 PM
Robvolz 

Can anybody tell me what year this is from?
Old 05-25-23, 07:11 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 870 Posts
Looks like a mid-range, mid-1990's bike.
Likes For dddd:
Old 05-26-23, 05:44 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
That's an upper-middle to upper-end bike. Very nice find.
Given that Bianchi sells a lot of "normal" bikes, you are not wrong; But in their *race bike* range, according to the 2002 catalogue, the "Veloce" was the second-to-bottom model and the Mirage is also an entry level group from Campagnolo. The frame is tig welded steel.
That being said, it still is a serious racer, not something that just looks the part; it just is not upper end...
The fork is ~possibly 25 years older than the frame and is very likely to change the geometry of the bike in a way not intended by the designers. For the best riding experience, i would recommend to find a fork better suited.
CATALOGUES BIANCHI: BIANCHI 2002 (labibleduvelocataloguesbianchi.blogspot.com)

Last edited by martl; 05-26-23 at 06:04 AM.
Likes For martl:
Old 05-26-23, 11:24 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Quoted: 4567 Post(s)
Liked 6,548 Times in 3,757 Posts
Originally Posted by martl
Given that Bianchi sells a lot of "normal" bikes, you are not wrong; But in their *race bike* range, according to the 2002 catalogue, the "Veloce" was the second-to-bottom model and the Mirage is also an entry level group from Campagnolo. The frame is tig welded steel.
That being said, it still is a serious racer, not something that just looks the part; it just is not upper end...
The fork is ~possibly 25 years older than the frame and is very likely to change the geometry of the bike in a way not intended by the designers. For the best riding experience, i would recommend to find a fork better suited.
CATALOGUES BIANCHI: BIANCHI 2002 (labibleduvelocataloguesbianchi.blogspot.com)
As stated, the fork is an added stand in after the fact from the co-op.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-26-23, 11:44 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
The "hated" unicrown's non-bianchi equivalents can be found everywhere for cheap. Once you handed over to said friend, give him/her the advice to get one. It will improve the overall look a lot.
Old 05-26-23, 01:42 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
The "hated" unicrown's non-bianchi equivalents can be found everywhere for cheap. Once you handed over to said friend, give him/her the advice to get one. It will improve the overall look a lot.
at the time this frame was created, it was quite common to upgrade a bike either with an alloy fork ( vitus etc) or with a Cfk one. Such 1" forks should be plenty at the usual online market places
Old 05-26-23, 01:46 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Quoted: 4567 Post(s)
Liked 6,548 Times in 3,757 Posts
Or paint the one that's on there black and call it a day.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-26-23, 01:50 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Originally Posted by martl
at the time this frame was created, it was quite common to upgrade a bike either with an alloy fork ( vitus etc) or with a Cfk one. Such 1" forks should be plenty at the usual online market places
Hi Martl lange nicht gesehen... that's also an option. Actually a functionally better one than the cheapo steel.
Old 05-26-23, 02:20 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 312 Posts
That was a decent "upper entry" level bike of the mid 90's. Within my group of riding buddies (when in the Army) there were the likes of the Veloce, and the Kona Kapu etc. Both were priced similarily, and available from the local bike shop.

This bike falls into the category of a bike that a soldier can afford without cutting too far into a beer budget.
Old 05-26-23, 02:36 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by Robvolz
its a co-op bike. The girl in question thinks Bianchi in Celeste equals class.
There is nothing bad with her thinking... and its a steel Bianchi. In todays troubled world everybody who is willing to embark on the old steel way deserves an applause... unless if the show off happens on the wall never on the street.
Likes For Lattz: