Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I have a Merz!!**

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I have a Merz!!**

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-23, 09:32 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts
I have a Merz!!**

If y'all wanna see pics just scroll down. The story how I got is kinda fun.

I was chatting with a customer and I mentioned that if he needed to get ahold of me tomorrow I wouldn't be available tomorrow since I was going to a bike show. I blabbed on a bit about how I started fixing up old bikes during the pandemic and I enjoyed the challenge of getting hopeless piles of poo back in working order and the wife nudged him and said "Tell Jim about your old bike! You wanna get rid of it. Maybe he would be interested". In my head, "Great. Another Schwinn Varsity someone wants to offload."

We kept chatting and he told me he bought the bike in the late 70s after he had a couple of good months at work so he wanted to upgrade his current road bike. He went to a bike shop and there was a ~2 year old Merz that caught his eye. After a substantial amount of 1970s dollars he bought it. Me - "A Merz!? Why yes, I'm interested!" He also mentioned he had racks for it and I became VERY interested. I agreed to swing by his house last night to check it out.

Well, he wheeled it out and I sank a bit. He mentioned it had been stored under his parents deck and saw quite a bit of weather exposure. That was obvious but it was complete and had a bunch of Campy and the Mafac cantis were cool AF. (I overlooked the Alivio RD and WTB platform pedals). I might have paid too much but at the end of the day, I have a Merz from the second owner. I wish Jim was still here to comment (I'll PM him and maybe he'll answer) but the thoughts of y'all are welcome. Pics are in as-found condition

** = It's rough but still suits my 'embrace the patina' ethos. Racks possibly built by Mr Merz?
Old 08-25-23, 09:36 AM
RustyJames 

Also of note - I dribbled some Kroil down the side of the stem and seatpost and the stem came free. The seatpost moves a bit which is GREAT news!
Old 08-25-23, 09:48 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Evapo-Rust is your friend. And I woulda bought that all day long.

Interesting choice to have two sets of bottle braze-ons, shift bosses and chainstay cable stop - but clamps to hold the rear brake cable. If Jim returns, I would love to know his thinking - customer request?

Even in its current state, it is utterly beautiful and I cannot wait to see how you bring it back to life!
Old 08-25-23, 10:25 AM
RustyJames 

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Evapo-Rust is your friend. And I woulda bought that all day long.

Interesting choice to have two sets of bottle braze-ons, shift bosses and chainstay cable stop - but clamps to hold the rear brake cable. If Jim returns, I would love to know his thinking - customer request?

Even in its current state, it is utterly beautiful and I cannot wait to see how you bring it back to life!
Evaporust has been my friend for years!

I also thought the top cable held on with clamps seems unusual but I’m guessing there is reason.

I consider myself very fortunate to have this machine.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 08-25-23, 10:31 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames

I was chatting with a customer and I mentioned that if he needed to get ahold of me tomorrow I wouldn't be available tomorrow since I was going to a bike show. I blabbed on a bit about how I started fixing up old bikes during the pandemic and I enjoyed the challenge of getting hopeless piles of poo back in working order and the wife nudged him and said "Tell Jim about your old bike! You wanna get rid of it. Maybe he would be interested". In my head, "Great. Another Schwinn Varsity someone wants to offload."

We kept chatting and he told me he bought the bike in the late 70s after he had a couple of good months at work so he wanted to upgrade his current road bike. He went to a bike shop and there was a ~2 year old Merz that caught his eye. After a substantial amount of 1970s dollars he bought it. Me - "A Merz!? Why yes, I'm interested!" He also mentioned he had racks for it and I became VERY interested. I agreed to swing by his house last night to check it out.

Well, he wheeled it out and I sank a bit. He mentioned it had been stored under his parents deck and saw quite a bit of weather exposure. That was obvious but it was complete and had a bunch of Campy and the Mafac cantis were cool AF. (I overlooked the Alivio RD and WTB platform pedals). I might have paid too much but at the end of the day, I have a Merz from the second owner. I wish Jim was still here to comment (I'll PM him and maybe he'll answer) but the thoughts of y'all are welcome. Pics are in as-found condition

** = It's rough but still suits my 'embrace the patina' ethos. Racks possibly built by Mr Merz?

Those racks are almost 100% certainly Merz-made. Great bike, nice project!

Here's my Merz which I bought as a frameset a few years ago -- I was not so lucky as to get racks with mine!

It rides very nicely.

Likes For JulesCW:
Old 08-25-23, 10:51 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Nice set of racks you got there. I would derust and clear coat that puppy. The biggest pain in the butt could be a stuck seatpost, followed by a stuck bottom bracket.
Old 08-25-23, 11:11 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts

Well, he wheeled it out and I sank a bit. He mentioned it had been stored under his parents deck and saw quite a bit of weather exposure. That was obvious but it was complete and had a bunch of Campy and the Mafac cantis were cool AF. (I overlooked the Alivio RD and WTB platform pedals)
. I might have paid too much but at the end of the day, I have a Merz from the second owner. I wish Jim was still here to comment (I'll PM him and maybe he'll answer) but the thoughts of y'all are welcome. Pics are in as-found condition

No you didn't.
Old 08-25-23, 11:24 AM
RustyJames 

I heard back from Jim and he knew the bike well since he built it for a friend he remembers fondly.

Man, I am one lucky guy.
Old 08-25-23, 11:25 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Racks are definitely Jim’s. @merziac must have slept in this morning.

Repaint or powder coat it, Jim might have original decals
Old 08-25-23, 12:09 PM
gravelinmygears 

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
Welcome to the club! I had mine repainted by Franklin Frames (for a VERY reasonable price!) and he was able to get the standard Merz decals. Enjoy it! It's worth the work!
Likes For gravelinmygears:
Old 08-25-23, 01:17 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Beautiful bike and a great find. Glad it went to a good home and you'll bring it back to its full glory.
Jack Trumbull of Franklin frames has done some great work for me.
Old 08-25-23, 01:28 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
mmmm...racks!
Congrats, you didn't pay too much. Not that I'm/we're interested anyway
Old 08-25-23, 07:42 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Very nice score! I'm not usually a fan of patina, but I can see how you might be happy to leave that with just the rust removed. Of course that'll mean you need a suitably aged rear derailleur.

Add my name to the list of people who would be happy to buy it from you if you ever get tired of it. I'd be surprised if I'm the first to have volunteered.
Old 08-25-23, 07:48 PM
RustyJames 

Small update - seat post came out easy and the BB adjustable cup freed up easily. Almost too good to be true!

There are a couple of broken bolts - water bottle cage and one in a rack that will be tended to.

The want list is starting to compile. Fenders, derailleurs (I have some NOS Cyclones that may go on), 700c rims to go with Campy hubs courtesy of Mad Honk.

Near term - Naturally it will get a mechanical refresh and a Brooks B17 planted on it. I have some MKS options in the stash to go on it. Not much other parts swapping except derailleurs as noted.

Long term it will be painted once the bike budget gets replenished and thanks all for the tips about Franklin Frames. They are on my short list.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 08-25-23, 07:55 PM
RustyJames 

Andy_K You are the first to ask if I decide to unload it and you’re close by. I like easy.
Old 08-25-23, 07:57 PM
RustyJames 

Build sheet

Old 08-25-23, 11:10 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Andy_K You are the first to ask if I decide to unload it and you’re close by. I like easy.
I can't imagine you'll tire of it anytime soon. I hope I at least get to see it in person sometime.
Old 08-26-23, 12:55 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Racks are definitely Jim’s. @merziac must have slept in this morning.

Repaint or powder coat it, Jim might have original decals
I was already at MADE before he posted this, We had PM'ed about and I encouraged him to get it done post haste, as you would imagine.

Then saw him at MADE and found out he got it, win, win, win, win.

So glad we have another Merz amongst us.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-26-23, 12:56 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelinmygears
Welcome to the club! I had mine repainted by Franklin Frames (for a VERY reasonable price!) and he was able to get the standard Merz decals. Enjoy it! It's worth the work!
Have we seen yours since it got painted?
Old 08-26-23, 05:19 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
Nice score and I’m glad that another classic bike will be brought back to life and enjoyed. What makes it even more special is that it was made for one of his friends. Having the history of a bike , to me , makes it complete. I did not know Jim is no longer here. He left the room already? It seems he just joined.
Old 08-26-23, 08:36 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Wow, nice get! If it turns out this one is maybe to big/small for you (it is) and maybe a bit too rusty for you (it is), and maybe the components are a little too dull (they are) and maybe you've got too many busted bolts (1 too many) let me know

SUPER nice find and looks like it was found in time before the point of no return on the corrosion. Had you not had that convo, it very were could have been. I love seeing things like this found in time.

I hope that this thread (and others like it) bring Jim back back out from the wastelands. I didn't mind the spirited discussion in the Specialized history thread at all, and would be great to still have him here.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 08-26-23, 09:40 AM
gravelinmygears 

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Have we seen yours since it got painted?
I’m still building it up with the stuff I like. Haven’t posted it anywhere. It’s purple because we need purple bikes.
Likes For gravelinmygears:
Old 08-26-23, 02:13 PM
RustyJames 

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Wow, nice get! If it turns out this one is maybe to big/small for you (it fits) and maybe a bit too rusty for you (that’s barely imaginable), and maybe the components are a little too dull (seem okay to me) and maybe you've got too many busted bolts (me or the bike? I’m broken in so many ways…) let me know
You're in line behind Andy_K …. and many others ….
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 09-04-23, 10:13 AM
RustyJames 

Reviving…

I’ve exchanged messages with Mr. Merz and he suggested I ditch the 27” wheels and go 700c. I am fully in agreement and since I have a swell set of hubs I’ve been shopping for new rims. I have a set of CR-18s but they are polished and, to my eye, they don’t look right. The profile is too mountain bikey.

The stips - preferably new, 36 hole, silver (not polished), wide-ish for 32mm or wider tires, NOT aero but I may need to concede somewhat on that and shock(!!) horror(!!!) I’m open to tubeless which is unfamiliar ground for me. I also want something that isn’t too much of an ordeal to mount tires.

So, what say you?
Old 09-04-23, 12:17 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
Silver and tubeless limit options pretty quickly. I believe the usual suspects include the Velocity Quill or A23, Velo Orange Voyageur, and Pacenti Brevet. I've heard the Pacenti can be challenging to mount tires/tubeless setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.