Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Strangest Thing Yelled At You

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Strangest Thing Yelled At You

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-08, 12:50 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by stevage
Riding at about 2am through a known spot for "cruising" in sportscars, a guy pulls up alongside and says "do a burn-out!"

I was too tired and sweaty to get any words out. I would have given it a go if I could work out how...

Steve
Hmmm, maybe low gear, lean over the front and lock the front brake up. Maybe not a burn-out, but sort of a grind-off. Haven't tried it to see if it works.

Haven't been flashed by any cuties or complimented on my posterior or been asked to wear Spandex.

For some reason, when you ride a unicycle, pedestrians feel compelled to say SOMETHING, but don't actually have anything to say, so you get some pretty dumb (and repetitive) comments. "Where's your other wheel" or variations thereof being the most common.
Old 11-15-08, 12:58 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
speed

'Have you got any speed? Ya know, Methamphetamine?'
Old 11-15-08, 01:10 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had a few. Feb this year I weighed 240lb. I weigh 204 now.

Few weeks ago on my way home from work (just cargo shorts and a Tshirt not kitted) this college age chick (and I'm a block away from the local college) is screaming and hanging out the passenger side window 3 lanes over and stuck in traffic as I pass in the bike lane. I can't make it out if it was good or bad or if she had turrets.
So the light changes and they pass me only a lane over and she is still hanging out the window and about the only thing I could make out was "hay baby" and the rest was just gone in the Doppler. They made the next light that I caught me. I see them pull into a shopping center and loose track of where they went after the went to the top of the hill. I pass the shopping center after th light has changed and they had pulled around at park where a 20ft retaining wall for the parking lot overlooked the road. She's up there cat calling me screaming "hay baby nice legs!" At 42 and 204lb I'm no looker but it made me feel good.

2. Pull out of work 5pm and traffic is miserable. Bike lane starts right at the corner by my office so I make my way through the traffic over to the right to the bike lane. I hear "wanna race?" I look to my left and its one of the FE's I support in a marked company truck. Told him "Sure! all the way to 575!" Where he gets on the hwy. 10 traffic lights 1.5 miles at 5pm on a Friday. He lost miserably.

3. Out of the mouths of children entry. Copied from my June 12th blog entry.

A few weeks back I started commuting via bicycle. Several reasons and health being big one. I was bouncing around 240lb in February. Started adjusting my diet, Cut down the portions etc. Hit a bit of a plateau and started riding to get the exercise I need. I live 4.3 miles from work so even with the couple of really good hills along the way I can make the ride in 20-25 minutes. Down to 220-222lb now.

I got home after a pretty fast ride back from work today. It's HOTTTTTTTT out! Grabbed a towel pulled off the sweaty t-shirt in the living room trying to cool off and stood under the A/C vent. Slammed down about 1/2 liter of water.

My youngest(7) Is sitting watching TV.

So I ask her "so do I look skinnier?"

She kind of gets a funny look on her face looking at my still rather round belly not knowing what to say.

I tell her "its OK you can be honest."

So she replies "You should probably ride again tomorrow....with a big dog chasing you."

I just don't get no love! LOL
Old 11-15-08, 01:13 PM
durty
Lif is too short

Bikes: Cannondale Fat tube Aluminum

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
her speech was for the most part unintelligible, but here's what I heard "wha ya da...nee...sidewalk...wha..."

usually it's people telling me I need to get out of the road despite the "share the road" signs everywhere...
South Carolina,
-durty
Old 12-27-08, 05:36 AM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just coming up to midnight, tonight on my way home a couple of kids on the cycle track drunk or high, one yelled "Hey Mr Biker Man!"

Not the strangest or funniest thing but made me smile and I waved and shouted back hello!
Old 12-27-08, 06:20 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
1. when I was in grade school, "look, it's Mario Andretti" from the neighborhood punks

2. "hey, those f**n idiots behind you are riding in the middle of the road", from a pickup truck driver who thinks all cyclists are related

3. "allez! allez! allez!" - how I interpret any windblown yelling from cars
Old 12-27-08, 06:24 AM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
A woman has slammed her brakes to a stop at a stop sign near my house and has yelled something at me and my wife on different ocassions but we can hear it because her windows are up. She looks really silly and I think she is mad since she has to wait for us to go by.
Old 12-27-08, 08:13 AM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the weirdest thing was just the other day when a big rusty Ford truck was stopped at a stop light adjacent to the road I was traveling on, as I passed the driver yelled:

"Whooo! You better hurry I'll make you squeal like a pig boy!"

At which point I stood up and sprinted away as fast as possible...crazy rednecks.
Old 12-27-08, 10:48 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by metalchef87
Well the weirdest thing was just the other day when a big rusty Ford truck was stopped at a stop light adjacent to the road I was traveling on, as I passed the driver yelled:

At which point I stood up and sprinted away as fast as possible...crazy rednecks.
That was no ignorant redneck. He took a look at you, summed up your fears, pushed your button, and made you run. You, on the other hand, allowed another human being to control your behavior.

Of course, I would have run too, but that's beside the point.
Old 12-27-08, 12:28 PM
AdamD
Biker, Lover, Fighter

Bikes: My own hand built frames

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalchef87

You should have escalated it by yelling back "You sure do got a purdy mouth!".
Old 12-27-08, 01:02 PM
rugerben

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I had a guy get up behind me and yell "you can't take the whole lane you know!!"
I replied "Yes I can. Read the laws."

He actually pulled up next to me and started discussing the laws, telling me that he was interested in it, and he had just looked and saw that cyclists are permitted to be on the road, so long as they are within the right 3 feet of the lane.

He was mistaken, but it was an interesting twist. I had expected him to give me the finger and drive off as most do. Instead he actually discussed it with me.
Old 12-27-08, 01:03 PM
rugerben

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamD
You should have escalated it by yelling back "You sure do got a purdy mouth!".
Thanks. 'Dueling Banjos' is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
Old 12-27-08, 01:41 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not on my bike, but on a pedestrian crossing. Driver playing chicken with me, then stopping at the last possible second, "How did you know my bleepin' brakes were bleepin' workin'?"
Old 12-27-08, 01:53 PM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waiting at a stoplight, a fellow commuter rode up beside me. He was wearing a yellow reflective DOT vest. On the shell was the word "greed" spray painted, on top of a circle / slash.
As the light changed he looked at me and yelled, "You're just part of the machine" as he rode off.

I have no idea what he meant, but it was sure strange.
Old 12-27-08, 03:30 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
Waiting at a stoplight, a fellow commuter rode up beside me. He was wearing a yellow reflective DOT vest. On the shell was the word "greed" spray painted, on top of a circle / slash.
As the light changed he looked at me and yelled, "You're just part of the machine" as he rode off.

I have no idea what he meant, but it was sure strange.
He meant, "You are truly one with your cycle".

That, or he was jealous that your cycle was way better than his.
Old 12-27-08, 07:19 PM
carkmouch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was standing and cranking up a hill on my fixed gear and a girl said I had a nice ass. Another time I was spinning and going fairly fast up a hill sitting down on my LHT and a girl said I had nice legs.

Must be doin' something right...
Old 12-27-08, 10:15 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
i've never gotten any compliments, and only had one person say anything to me. i was riding home from work, in the bike lane of a busy urban thoroughfare. traffic to my left was backed up at a light. a parked car to the right of the bike lane had its door open, blocking the bike lane, while the driver of the car was standing next to his car giving directions to one of the cars waiting for the light. i had no choice but to stop in the bike lane. realizing what was happening, i didn't make a big deal of it and just stopped, figuring he'd get back into his car shortly and everyone would be on their way. after about 10 seconds of waiting, there are about two or three other bike commuters backed up behind me. as the guy turns to get back in to his car, he sees me and the others waiting there and says "you cyclists get all the rights". as i started off i said "excuse me? exCUSE me? what rights?". the other commuters behind me started heckling him, but i can't remember exactly what they said.

Last edited by southpawboston; 12-27-08 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-28-08, 02:08 AM
Bollocks

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey , Raleigh Twenty , GT Avalanche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"FIXED WHEEL" was shouted at me once . At the time I was indeed on a bike that had a fixed wheel .
Not sure why I should need notification of this ?

Dickhead
Old 12-28-08, 03:00 AM
ilchymis
A.K.A. purple fork man

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Not exactly a "yell", but I was riding at night in Gainesville after we won a big football game, and I got chased down by a Chevy Suburban full of singing Gators fans who proceeded to lean out the right-side window and high-five me.
Old 12-28-08, 02:04 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dad and I were riding back from the store about dusk yesterday, and we were cranking since we had 7 miles to ride before dark (left the lights at home, stupidly) and some group of roaming teenager yelled something like "ride-adlkj-adflk-grobble" as we rode by...

and i get "woohoo..fixie for life man!" sometimes, and usually i'm not even riding my fixie, they just know it's a buzz word now...
Old 12-28-08, 03:05 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Hmmm, maybe low gear, lean over the front and lock the front brake up. Maybe not a burn-out, but sort of a grind-off. Haven't tried it to see if it works.

Haven't been flashed by any cuties or complimented on my posterior or been asked to wear Spandex.

For some reason, when you ride a unicycle, pedestrians feel compelled to say SOMETHING, but don't actually have anything to say, so you get some pretty dumb (and repetitive) comments. "Where's your other wheel" or variations thereof being the most common.
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/707062/bike_drifting/
^^^
Like that
Old 12-28-08, 06:18 PM
InfiniteRegress
Infinite Regress

Bikes: Dahon Speed Pro TT (2008), Jamis Aurora Cyclocross (2005), Trek WSD 2100 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a woman, so when someone's yelling at me when I'm riding, it's usually some guy asking for a sexual favor (yeah, like I'm going to stop riding, come over to your car, and perform the sexual favor of your choice). The things I've had yelled at me that come to mind are too raunchy for this listserv. But my standard response is, "Only in your dreams!"
Old 12-28-08, 06:48 PM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by InfiniteRegress
I'm a woman, so when someone's yelling at me when I'm riding, it's usually some guy asking for a sexual favor (yeah, like I'm going to stop riding, come over to your car, and perform the sexual favor of your choice). The things I've had yelled at me that come to mind are too raunchy for this listserv. But my standard response is, "Only in your dreams!"
No, we do "raunchy" here
Old 12-28-08, 09:07 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I was riding home through downtown traffic after exhibiting my Bikes At Work trailer at the Natural State Expo when a gentleman in a pickup yelled,

"Certainly, that has got to be illegal!"

What could I say but

"Nope."

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-29-08, 01:54 AM
mtusz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"How can you afford a full carbon/ultegra bike, but not a new pair of jeans?"

Yelled while I passed a decked out roadie on my way to work in the summer! I would ride a beater bike, but I can't afford one now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.