Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

cars that drive themselves, will they see cyclits?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 12:10 PM
sc0ch
sc0ch

Bikes: CAAD7 Saeco, Kona Jake the Snake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm no fan of motoring, or motorists, but generally most drivers are safe because they remain attentive. However, potentially dangerous technology, developed by Ford and BMW, is premiering that allows motorists to be more inattentive. Said technology involves radar equipped cars that allow vehicles to drive themselves. These gagets are being introduced in baby steps, for instance:

<https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/bmw-working-on-collision-prevention-system/>

"BMW is developing a system to bring a car or truck to a complete stop (safely) if the driver loses control because of health-related problems.
Developed with help from the German government, BMW’s Emergency Stop Assistant is aimed at the elderly and people with medical problems, although BMW said it was applicable beyond that population.
Emergency Stop Assistant uses sensors, positioning data and other information (some of it based on existing technology in current BMWs), to determine when a driver isn’t reacting to a potential crash. It switches on the hazard lights and MANEUVERS THE VEHICLE TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD BEFORE STOPPING IT ENTIRELY."

That last sentence, and the technology generally, is disconncerting, since often cyclists are along the side of the road. Will these radar equipped cars see cyclists?!? What if you're riding a carbon fiber bicycle. The industry is moving towards cars that drive themselves, but are they thinking of bicycles and pedestrians?

Last edited by sc0ch; 07-29-09 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 12:27 PM
gmule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would have to be able to see. There are lots of things on the side of the road that not made of metal.
Old 07-29-09, 12:31 PM
ChipSeal
www.chipsea.blogspot.com

Bikes: Giant OCR C0 road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the continued absurdity of how we are trying to "fix" the rampant irresponsibility on our roadways!

The problem: Motor vehicle operators are derelict in their duty to operate with due care.

Proposed solution: Make technology compensate for recklessness!

This is trying to fix a software problem with hardware. But technology is doomed in an arms race with fools; There are so many of them and they are so persistent and innovative! Some real stratagems for making headway can be found here and here. (Not that anyone really wants to do the hard things to fix the mayhem and carnage on out streets.)
Old 07-29-09, 12:35 PM
sygyzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is an excellent question sc0ch! I would like to expand it further. What about when cars fly? When they do vertical landings, will the pilots (drivers) notice cyclists in the bike lanes? What about the auto pilots? Will it be able to sense us on our carbon fiber bikes?

Furthermore, what about when our national highway infrastructure moves from roads to embedded rails like in the prophetic movie "Minority Report"? Will our carbon fiber bikes be compatible? Will we need new wheelsets? Will there be any bike lanes?
Old 07-29-09, 12:41 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by sc0ch
I'm no fan of motoring, or motorists, but generally most drivers are safe because they remain attentive. However, potentially dangerous technology, developed by Ford and BMW, is premiering that allows motorists to be more inattentive. Said technology involves radar equipped cars that allow vehicles to drive themselves. ....

Anti-car and anti-progress luddism at its greatest. The cars may, in fact, in the future 'drive themselves,' but the incremental steps you whine so much about are, in fact, to make sure that the mistakes are corrected along the way, which is exactly how technology should move foreward. In the meantime all kinds of helpful technologies will warn of, or even prevent, accidents and fender benders which can be so annoying and harmful (if not fatal) to cyclists. Exactly how does a warning that a vehicle is on your right, thus preventing a right hook, constitute dangerous technology?

The vast majority of decisions about how to fly an airplane are made not by attentive pilots (or even inattentive ones) but by pilots who receive tremendous help, warning, and even control, from computerized systems. The incorporation of these onto our roadways is long overdue.

roughstuff
Old 07-29-09, 12:48 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Originally Posted by ChipSeal

SO you don't support spelchek? I mean spellczech. OOps, I mean spellcheck!

roughstuff
Old 07-29-09, 02:22 PM
bicyclerampage
jackalope

Bikes: couple of fast ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the continued absurdity of how we are trying to "fix" the rampant irresponsibility on our roadways!

The problem: Motor vehicle operators are derelict in their duty to operate with due care.

This is trying to fix a software problem with hardware. But technology is doomed in an arms race with fools; There are so many of them and they are so persistent and innovative! Some real stratagems for making headway can be found here and here. (Not that anyone really wants to do the hard things to fix the mayhem and carnage on out streets.)

has anyone ever seen the movie idiocracy with luke wilson. its basically a look into the future 500 years from now and shows exactly where we are headed ha.
Old 07-29-09, 02:32 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There are plenty of commercially available LIDAR and radar systems capable of detecting and tracking pedestrians and cyclists in motion in traffic. I did my Master's thesis on mobile autonomous robots and have kept up with some of the R&D work in the field of autonomous vehicles, including NC State's entry into the DARPA race.

The main question is when these sensor systems become cost effective for a commercial auto-driver product. Product liability should compel manufacturers to make them at least as safe toward pedestrians and cyclists as normal human beings are, probably more so. Another question is whether a robot autopilot that is cautious enough to not risk collision with other traffic will drive fast enough to make owners willing to use it, as opposed to taking over manual control.
Old 07-29-09, 02:37 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're barking up the wrong tree. This autopilot nonsense is really all about increasing the complexity and cost of vehicles and adding "planned obsolesence" to vehicles so that automobile makers and their suppliers can increase revenue. It isn't about safety or convenience, it's about profit.
Old 07-29-09, 02:44 PM
rnorris

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When cars fly, maybe we'll be safer on the road
Old 07-29-09, 02:49 PM
ilchymis
A.K.A. purple fork man

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
In the meantime all kinds of helpful technologies will warn of, or even prevent, accidents and fender benders which can be so annoying and harmful (if not fatal) to cyclists. Exactly how does a warning that a vehicle is on your right, thus preventing a right hook, constitute dangerous technology?
There is a valid concern that as we add more forms of automated safety netting around drivers' behavior, drivers will feel as though they no longer need to be particularly attentive while handling their vehicles. E.g.: "This car has an accident-avoidance radar system, so it should be no problem if I look away from the highway for 10 seconds to answer this text message."
Old 07-29-09, 03:42 PM
DX Rider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The new line of Mercedes already incorporates some of this automated technology. Supposedly it can detect if a driver has fallen asleep and safely stop the vehicle. I'll believe when I see it, I wouldn't entrust my safety to an algorythm, they lack judgement.

So much for the drunk driving laws, since an algorythm also won't differeniate between drunk and sick.

Mercedes is also experimenting with a car that will drive itself on highways. It does so by receiving fiber optic signals from sensors implanted in the road surface. Similar to how reflectors are now embedded on some highways. The sensors transfer data such as rate of speed and highway conditions.

I've seen video of the prototype driving itself around a race track. It's probably on the web some place. The car I saw could start, accelerate, and drive in a single track, no lane changes.

Personally, I'm still trying to figure out how George Jetson was able to pick up his car after it folded itself into a suitcase. He must have been stronger than he looks.

Last edited by DX Rider; 07-29-09 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 03:44 PM
sc0ch
sc0ch

Bikes: CAAD7 Saeco, Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hilarity. I get burned for being pro-carbon while anti-technology! I only mention carbon in looking out for my (stealth?) carbon fiber brethren. However, sggoodri's input on the robustness of modern radar is encouraging. In its final form, if self-driven cars are safer for all, then why not. Don't mean to be so, like o my gawd, 1800. However, that said, people whose age or medical state would benefit from an anticrash system probably shouldn't be driving. Driving is a priviledge, not a right, and the good of the many must overrule the convenience of the few. Public and senior transit exists for a reason.
Old 07-29-09, 03:46 PM
remsav

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilchymis
There is a valid concern that as we add more forms of automated safety netting around drivers' behavior, drivers will feel as though they no longer need to be particularly attentive while handling their vehicles. E.g.: "This car has an accident-avoidance radar system, so it should be no problem if I look away from the highway for 10 seconds to answer this text message."
People already do that. There was a report on a study done with truck drivers. 150million miles with cameras setup inside and they found on average the drivers looked away 5seconds when texting.

Automated safety system sounds great and it works for commercial airlines and letting a computer drive sounds peachy.
Old 07-29-09, 04:18 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sc0ch
That last sentence, and the technology generally, is disconncerting, since often cyclists are along the side of the road. Will these radar equipped cars see cyclists?!? What if you're riding a carbon fiber bicycle. The industry is moving towards cars that drive themselves, but are they thinking of bicycles and pedestrians?
I'd expect that the ability to pick up people, incl. small ones - i.e. children, would be part of the design specification. It certainly isn't beyond the technology since cyclists are routinely picked up by the radar-based signs that flash your speed and radar speed guns have no problem picking up baseballs and other small objects.
Old 07-29-09, 04:27 PM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a moot point. The automobile is heading for extinction, and the automobile-based lifestyle will be unsustainable in the healthy economy of the future. About freakin' time, too.
Old 07-29-09, 07:13 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DX Rider
The new line of Mercedes already incorporates some of this automated technology. Supposedly it can detect if a driver has fallen asleep and safely stop the vehicle. I'll believe when I see it, I wouldn't entrust my safety to an algorythm, they lack judgement.

So much for the drunk driving laws, since an algorythm also won't differeniate between drunk and sick.

Mercedes is also experimenting with a car that will drive itself on highways. It does so by receiving fiber optic signals from sensors implanted in the road surface. Similar to how reflectors are now embedded on some highways. The sensors transfer data such as rate of speed and highway conditions.

I've seen video of the prototype driving itself around a race track. It's probably on the web some place. The car I saw could start, accelerate, and drive in a single track, no lane changes.

Personally, I'm still trying to figure out how George Jetson was able to pick up his car after it folded itself into a suitcase. He must have been stronger than he looks.
Honda was doing the auto pilot thing back in the early to mid 80's using video cameras that keyed off the paint stripes. I saw a test run at Sears Point Raceway on the road course where they had half a dozen or so cars running nose to tail with no hands on the wheels. Interesting system in that it didn't require much in the way of additional infrastructure, just clear and standard paint stripes.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-29-09, 07:14 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rnorris
When cars fly, maybe we'll be safer on the road
What goes up must come down...it's liable to ACCIDENTALLY come down on your helmeted head! OUCH! lol
Old 07-29-09, 07:26 PM
ilchymis
A.K.A. purple fork man

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by remsav
People already do that. There was a report on a study done with truck drivers. 150million miles with cameras setup inside and they found on average the drivers looked away 5seconds when texting.

Automated safety system sounds great and it works for commercial airlines and letting a computer drive sounds peachy.
Yes, some people already do that. The concern is that with such systems, more people may be comfortable with doing it, more frequently. I think some serious research into this question is called for.
Old 07-29-09, 07:58 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What about when the side of the road doesn't "exist," i.e. a shear drop?
Old 07-29-09, 08:14 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
Anti-car and anti-progress luddism at its greatest. The cars may, in fact, in the future 'drive themselves,' but the incremental steps you whine so much about are, in fact, to make sure that the mistakes are corrected along the way, which is exactly how technology should move foreward. In the meantime all kinds of helpful technologies will warn of, or even prevent, accidents and fender benders which can be so annoying and harmful (if not fatal) to cyclists. Exactly how does a warning that a vehicle is on your right, thus preventing a right hook, constitute dangerous technology?

The vast majority of decisions about how to fly an airplane are made not by attentive pilots (or even inattentive ones) but by pilots who receive tremendous help, warning, and even control, from computerized systems. The incorporation of these onto our roadways is long overdue.

roughstuff
I have nothing against making the streets safer for ALL users. But there is a BIG difference between flying and driving. One such difference is that when one is flying a plane there generally ISN'T another plane nearby. So if you have to make a sudden correction you're not likely to hit another plane.

When incorporating aviation technology into automobiles we have to make sure that it is done in such a way so as not to be distracting to the driver. Don't forget that this is the 21st century and we already have a little thing called "information overload." We don't need more distracted drivers on the roads, rather we need less distractions in the cars.
Old 07-29-09, 08:19 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DX Rider

Or it was lighter then it looked. ;-)
Old 07-29-09, 08:22 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajenkins
It's a moot point. The automobile is heading for extinction, and the automobile-based lifestyle will be unsustainable in the healthy economy of the future. About freakin' time, too.
In their current form, yes, but I am sure that in one form or another that they'll be around for a LONG time.
Old 07-30-09, 08:30 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Originally Posted by ilchymis
The more effective the technology is, the less attentiveness WOULD be needed from drivers. Anti lock and anti skid brake technology is an example. Before ya needed the coordination and reflexes of a ballerina if your vehicle started to skid on the ice. Now with computers and software, cars stop sooner and skid less.

It is a ways off---and as I said, we will use trial and error for new technologies along the way---but I can envision a point where the driver performs only the most basic functions when behind the wheel, and the vehicle largely drives itself.

roughstuff
Old 07-30-09, 08:34 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Originally Posted by Ajenkins

D'oh! Why say healthy economies of the future? Why not look at healthy economies of the present...maybe like North Korea, Zimbabwe, or some other 3rd world zithole, to see how much low cost private transit paralyzes economic growth!

roughstuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.