Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Quad Lock Mount Failed!

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Quad Lock Mount Failed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 05:27 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Quad Lock Mount Failed!

I bought the above product for mounting a cell phone on my touring bike. They sell a limited amount of cases that fit certain popular phones and for all the others a adhesive mounted one. So the procedure is clean the back of the case with the supplier alcohol wipe let dry and mount the 3M adhesive mount.
so on my second ride I slightly bump the phone and it is on the ground. The adhesive failed.
Bought this for our upcoming cross country ride. So the phone is a I expensive one for navigation and music only.
Wondering about "re-gluing ". Maybe an epoxy?
BTW, I do have a email I to Quad Lock.
Old 04-17-24, 06:19 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,002 Times in 1,929 Posts
I've not had much positive experiences with epoxy & like adhesive mounts in general when it's put to use under environmental conditions that I've interpreted the product to withstand.
Old 04-17-24, 06:41 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7034 Post(s)
Liked 11,069 Times in 4,729 Posts
This is why there are cycle computers with dedicated mounts.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-17-24, 07:34 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Clean it off the best you can with rubbing alcohol, or if you have any coleman fuel (white gas) use that. And try again.

I have used this stuff I bought at dollar tree for some things that were exposed to outdoor weather and it worked better than I expected. It might work well in your case (pun was not intentional).
https://www.dollartree.com/super-glu...t-rolls/247744

But, the two mating surfaces must both be the same shape (flat is best) so that you can have a large area where the adhesive will stick to both sides of the foam. The adhesive performs best if you do not touch it at all before it is pressed on the surface that it sticks to.
Old 04-17-24, 08:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6234 Post(s)
Liked 4,839 Times in 3,336 Posts
Phone is much longer than most GPS Cyclometers. So even if the weight is the same, the mass is spread out further from the mount point and Archimedes had some well thought out views on that. (think lever and fulcrum)

If you are going to use your phone, then get something more robust. While quad locks work for others, they apparently don't work well for your circumstances.
Old 04-17-24, 06:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,045 Times in 2,699 Posts
You might find a different case for your phone rough up the back of it and mount with a good strong epoxy that is rated for outdoor usage. That is what co-workers have done either for cases they loved or when their phone didn't have a case with QuadLock yet. If they would make a QuadLock case that could fit over my OtterBox I would have had one in a second. Not that I dislike their cases they are fine cases I just don't like to move my phone to different cases each time and don't want to give up the OtterBox.
Old 04-18-24, 02:00 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Personally, I am not a fan of adhesive mounts for the very reason of your experience. Instead of trying to glue the mount back on the phone case, have you considered another mount? I am thinking along the lines of the RAM® X-Grip® Phone Mount with RAM® Snap-Link Tough-Claw but there are less expensive options.