Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultegra BR-6500s not reaching??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-10, 11:33 PM
cbfight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I acquired a set of BR-6500 brakes from ebay for a training bike I am building up around an old Giant OCR 2 frame I got. Everything was going smoothly until I found out I could not get the front brake to contact the rim's brake strip center- it would always contact half on the brake strip, half on the tire. Not good. Flipping the brake pads around so that the tire centering tabs were facing up somehow got me enough reach to run the brakes, thankfully, but I still found it very weird. Anyone else have similar experiences?
Old 08-31-10, 05:39 AM
pmt
Experienced

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes some people will file the bottom of the caliper where the pad bolts go through a bit with a round file to get a little extra drop. I've done that a few times on a few builds.
Old 08-31-10, 10:15 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cbfight
I acquired a set of BR-6500 brakes from ebay for a training bike I am building up around an old Giant OCR 2 frame I got. Everything was going smoothly until I found out I could not get the front brake to contact the rim's brake strip center- it would always contact half on the brake strip, half on the tire. Not good. Flipping the brake pads around so that the tire centering tabs were facing up somehow got me enough reach to run the brakes, thankfully, but I still found it very weird. Anyone else have similar experiences?
You might not want to do that. The curvature of the pad/holder will be in the wrong direction. There are two options if they still hit

1) Evaluate the possibility of modifying the brake bolt slot to allow further extension (whether there's enough even after mod is up to you to figure out)
2) Cut chamfer into the upper half of the pad so that it does not hit the tyre
3) Buy a front brake with the proper reach.

Originally Posted by pmt
Sometimes some people will file the bottom of the caliper where the pad bolts go through a bit with a round file to get a little extra drop. I've done that a few times on a few builds.
I doubt there's enough to take away if half the pad is still hitting the tyre.
Old 08-31-10, 03:44 PM
cbfight

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It ended up being a case of the reach being off by a 2 mm (approx) and the brake pads being severely worn, within half a mm of the wear groove. I replaced the pads with fresh ones and filed down the slots by a about 1mm and everything works alright now.

Thanks for the tip about filing the slot down. Was considering it but wasn't sure.