Old 03-07-21, 07:25 AM
louventurini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need advice!

Hello,

I've been cycling for a couple years around London with my fixed gear bike. Around South East London, its pretty hilly- I'm getting real tired of tackling those hills with one gear, so I've decided its time for a change.

Looking for a medium size frame road bike !!with gears!!!. Not sure where to look, I'm a bit of a noob and don't wanna get ripped off.

Price range I reckon 200? Maybe more if it's something super nice. Any help appreciated !!!
Old 03-11-21, 01:51 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
You're going to struggle to get a road bike for £200 unless it's 2nd hand. You may find something like a Carrera Zelos for £200ish, or have a look for any bike recycling charity places which are dotted about as they may be able to sort you something.
A cheaper option may be to get a flat bar hybrid purely because there's a lot bigger supply of them.

Decathlon do the RC100 road bike for £299 - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc-100...y/_/R-p-308047
It's a fairly basic 7 speed, does everything you need to though the shifter is on the top bar rather than the drops so you'd need to move your hand away to change but it's a step up from a fixie. The RC120 is a much nicer bike but it's also £429 so quite a jump in price; it gives you integrated brake/shifter leavers (pull to brake, left/right to shift) which means you don't need to lift your hands off, more gears and a lighter fork.

Even cheaper is the Apollo Paradox for £220* - https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road-...es-601204.html
It's got the same top bar shifter but is a 2x7 so will give you more range, but Apollo are definitely the budget range and a bit crap but it'll do and it certainly fits the budget.

If I was buying, my preference would be: RC120, Used bike, RC100, Paradox.

*£198 if you know someone with an AA membership to get the 10% discount.
Old 03-23-21, 04:54 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by louventurini
Hello,
I've been cycling for a couple years around London with my fixed gear bike. Around South East London, its pretty hilly- I'm getting real tired of tackling those hills with one gear, so I've decided its time for a change.
Looking for a medium size frame road bike !!with gears!!!. Not sure where to look, I'm a bit of a noob and don't wanna get ripped off.
Price range I reckon 200? Maybe more if it's something super nice. Any help appreciated !!!
At that price I'd have a look on Ebay for a classic / vintage steel framed road bike. If you look for bikes around the £100 - 150 mark you should find something that's in reasonable order, and have money in hand to fit new brake/gear cables and tyres. Raleighs and Peugeots are as good as anything else but make sure it's got 700c wheels and in the case of a Peugeot is post 1986 to make replacement parts easier to find.
Old 01-15-22, 03:10 PM
DVD23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reckon you'll struggle to get something for that money but keep your eyes peeled on eBay or Facebook market place. Every now and then you'll get a steal 👍