Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A cable for Huret ratcheting shifters?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-22, 03:35 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 253 Posts

I've just put a set of Huret ratcheting shifters on the bicycle I'm working on. They are to work with Huret Success Titane derailleur which originally came with just simple friction shifters in a rather poor condition. The problem is that whilst the old ones would happily take just a normal derailleur cable, the ratcheting ones seem to be designed with a different cable ending in mind. They work with a standard cable, sort of, but that end barrel seems to be half the size of what they were thinking about. So I've got another vintage French puzzle. The question is: is it ok to use modern gear cables with these or should I look for a different solution? Like for example using a break cable with a pear ending?
These are the shifters

And photos of them on the bike (sorry, a bit blurry):

Old 06-04-22, 03:52 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Huret had a smaller cable end. If you have an old Schwinn store around they may have them. Or cannibalize from an old Schwinn varsity, continental etc.
Edit: Actually I was thinking of the small disc shaped ends for early Huret shift levers. Hmm, I seam to remember really small shift cable ends on bikes I have disassembled though.

Last edited by big chainring; 06-04-22 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-04-22, 05:22 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
I don't really know about this shifter, but Jagwire makes galvanized cable that claims Huret compatibility:
Basics

I see them available on Amazon.