Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Grease inside BB area with cartridge bearing?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23, 11:12 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

When I pulled out the cartridge there was a coating of grease inside including on the threads - is this likely anti-seize compound or just what's oozed out of the bearings?
Old 07-06-23, 01:13 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
what's it look like? Metallic silver or copper color? Yes? it's anti-seize...

no? it's grease used as anti-seize, and to ensure a smooth torquing during install.

there's no way grease could migrate into the BB threads.. it was there before the BB assy. was put in place.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 07-06-23, 08:16 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Most will/should put grease or anti-seize on BB threads to prevent corrosion and seizing between the BB and the BB shell. Doesn't hurt to put a light coating over the entire BB to prevent any corrosion there too.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 07-06-23, 10:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Possibly the person putting the grease or anti-sieze on the threads previously didn't realize how important it is not to use so much that a blob or two would get pushed up when the BB was screwed into the shell on this precision piece of machinery that is a bicycle! <grin><little bit of sarcasm>

Possibly could be a blob that dropped off a finger that was being used to spread around inside the seat tube before the seat post was put in.

On older bikes with loose balls it wasn't really considered a bad thing if grease oozed out of them whether they were BB bearings or wheel bearings. Just that it'd be a little messy. I don't worry at all if I see it happen with a sealed bearing. Just means I might have a failure sooner. But usually not materially sooner than those that don't.

Think of anti-seize as grease for parts that don't move against each other when assembly is completed. It's okay to use regular grease if you don't have anti-seize available. If you prefer regular grease over anti-seize, then on a bicycle, you'll get no argument from me as to which is the perfect choice.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-06-23 at 10:46 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-06-23, 06:15 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Unless you have a specific reason for antiseize, use grease. You don't want the particulate in antiseize migrating into the bearings.
Old 07-06-23, 06:20 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
After owning several Mazda RX-7's, with one of the hottest exhaust temps around, I was forever sold on anti seize paste. The old catalytic had pellets in them that could be refilled after they spit out the old ones. First time it came off was with impact wrench and torch. After the anti-seize paste treatment, never an issue after that. I am disassembling several bikes I built ten years ago and 15 years ago. Nothing is stuck and little is corroded.

Every tool kit should have anti seize, marine grease, red and blue Lock Tite, and Super Lube grease (teflon added).
Old 07-07-23, 10:10 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
After owning several Mazda RX-7's, with one of the hottest exhaust temps around, I was forever sold on anti seize paste. The old catalytic had pellets in them that could be refilled after they spit out the old ones. First time it came off was with impact wrench and torch. After the anti-seize paste treatment, never an issue after that. I am disassembling several bikes I built ten years ago and 15 years ago. Nothing is stuck and little is corroded.

Every tool kit should have anti seize, marine grease, red and blue Lock Tite, and Super Lube grease (teflon added).
This is exactly what antiseize was made for - machines operating at not-bike temperatures.