Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-24, 06:05 AM
Hajo

Bikes: Several Gazelle Team steel bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 32 Posts
Just this week I bought another Gazelle, a Team from 1996. The paint is in general nice condition with a rather beaten Dura Ace 7400 groupset. That will be removed and a almost NOS Shimano 600 Ultegra groupset will replace it. At the moment it had been taken almost completely apart for a deep clean on the frame itself.
Old 03-02-24, 10:55 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Been working on a low end Peugeot mixte. Someone Sarah met on ****** is visiting Peoria and wanted a rental bike for a few days and no one around here has them so we are offering her a borrow bike. 3 speeds and a basket. It ain't much but it will get you across town for sure.

I may have lights on it by Wednesday.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-02-24, 02:02 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
Soldering together a 120VAC to 0-12VDC power supply kit. I need another power supply like I need another bicycle, but...as I can't do much else...

Anyway, pics later in the day because I left my phone in another room and it was a pain to get up and go get it, stop for the potty, get myself some lunch, let the dog out then have to coax him back in because it's really nice outside...where the heck was I? Oh, yeah, pics later today. Just took some pain meds, so there's a nap coming on.
Old 03-02-24, 02:47 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
My rusty Carabela continues to sadden me after pulling the wheels out of my storage. I think I should take the halfway decent Shimano skewers and put new wheels on them.

They appear to have been used on a steep descent with brake pads made out of old grinding wheels and if I scratch myself on one of the spokes, I will need a tetanus shot.

The Suntour Pro Compe freewheel did not grow rust as badly as the rest of the bike. And as been a surprise with everything on the bike, it came off the hub and the sprockets came loose with not much effort.

Because I love shiny chrome spoke protectors, I hate this.

Oddly enough, it looks like someone put new 27 x 1-1/4 Bontrager Sport tires on the bike just to throw it outside to rot. The flash is still on the center rib.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-02-24, 05:04 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
Headset and fork installation day!

Likes For Trav1s:
Old 03-02-24, 06:10 PM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 138 Posts
Assembling a 88 Black Lightning frame I’ve been building up since October. I gave up trying to locate a “correct” FD. Shoulda just bought a complete bike….wait…I did. A month after buying the frame. It’s been quite the learning experience. Chasing model specific parts is a chore. And expensive. After fifty-five times around the sun I’m still learning the hard way.

Old 03-02-24, 06:24 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
Assembling a 88 Black Lightning frame I’ve been building up since October. I gave up trying to locate a “correct” FD. Shoulda just bought a complete bike….wait…I did. A month after buying the frame. It’s been quite the learning experience. Chasing model specific parts is a chore. And expensive. After fifty-five times around the sun I’m still learning the hard way.

It looks like you do have the correct saddle. My 87 BL is missing that one. I never convinced myself that I really needed that to be original.
Those Sprint 9000 FD's in gold have got to be difficult.
Good hunting!
Likes For daverup:
Old 03-02-24, 06:56 PM
bikoman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
Here is a pic of the bracket. The seat stays get sandwiched between the 2 pieces of somewhat malleable metal, on the right side of the pic. Tensions in place with the 2 screws. I put the pieces of clear pipe, in my post, on the stays to protect paint/tubing from the bracket. I will take a better pic, of the actual attachment, when I am out in the garage again.
Thank you!
Old 03-02-24, 08:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Today, my spouse was out for a few hours, so that's a good time to work on my bike in the apartment. She doesn't object categorically, but it's better if she doesn't see how the sausage is made, so to speak. I had to true the rear wheel. While I was at it, I washed it in the bathtub. I also washed my truing stand, as it usually lives in our barn upstate where it is dusty and humid. I've started to use Muc-Off which is overpriced but does a good job. When I true a wheel, I like to take the tire off. I even washed that in the bathtub.

My tire is tight, and I wanted to use my Tire Jack™ to re-install it, but I couldn't find it. I carefully used a tire lever and beat the odds: I didn't pinch the tube. Gotta find my Tire Jack™.

The old rim strip has lost its stick-um, so I used a bit of rubber cement. I hope that helps. I'm surprised I didn't have any inside punctures, as the rim strip had slid off to the side in a few places.

I haven't felt motivated to ride much lately. I guess I didn't toughen myself up for winter riding much this winter. Well, things will change soon.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-02-24, 09:50 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
Sigh. Pics as promised.

It's supposed to be in the seventies tomorrow. Maybe I can hobble out to the garage just to see it again.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 03-03-24, 07:25 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
While I was at it, I washed it in the bathtub.
I've washed a couple of frames in the guest bath while my wife has been out. But I best not use her bathtub for that. I don't think she even wants me to bathe in it.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-03-24, 07:38 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
I started this last week and didn't finish for some reason but I need to atleast get the HS overhauled and new bars on it today. Hopefully this will make the cut for the Concours de lemon' at the Classic Bicycles Auburn show in June

Some gritty details and more pics here. https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/32883766

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-03-24, 08:21 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
Yesterday I tackled a really crunchy front hub on a set of Velomax wheels that came on a bike I picked up last year. If I remember right it was the Merlin. Anyway, pulled off the endcaps and found pressed cartridge bearings inside. Figured these will need to go to the LBS for new bearings but decided to see what I could do. Was able to use a very sharp hook tool to pull off the rubber seal that had metal (the race?) on the inside. Both bearing were dry with one side looking more like it was packed with dry sand than dry grease. Took them to my utility sink and just went through some rounds of degreaser, oil and flushed with hot water. The bearing were caged and I didn't see a way to remove them. Once they seemed really clean and rolled smoothly in the water stopped. Blew the water all out and then still let them air dry more. Regreased and worked hard to get them packed really well. To be honest they still felt a bit rough. Overfilled with even more grease and them forced all that grease into the bearings as I reseated the seals, Cleaned up the excess and put the endcaps back on. At this point as I held the axle and spun the wheel they still felt a bit rough. But once I put them on the Miele and clamped them in they seem fine. No play, appear smooth, and spin for a very long time. Yet take them off and you can feel the roughness. I'll drop these off tomorrow for new bearings and a light truing.

Last edited by jamesdak; 03-03-24 at 10:43 AM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 03-03-24, 11:38 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
No pictures but after a bad fall due to unsalted icy road in january with more fear than harm, i decided to stop riding bikes for a moment made. Made a radio, went to the doctor two times. Feeling much better but still had one of the worst fears of my life that I had my collar bone broken and my elbow broken but thankfully it isn't the case. The giant bronco MTB will be assembled by my bike tech with the full xt 780t transmission and pedals, rock shox recon fork, selle italia, easton bar and stem, titec seat post, mavic crossmax mark 1 and continental tires. My 1993 giant tourer gets a whole transmission upgrade with full xt 780t transmission, pedals and vbrakes, mavic A 719 high end gravel rims with xt 780 t hubs and spoking a la mavic crossmax , slime tubes and schwalbe marathon tires. My 1993 Peugeot Prestige gets an upgrade too with da 7800 front, da 7800 rear, sl 7800 shifters, cs 7800 cassette and cn 6600 chain plus slime tubes continental grand prix 4 seasons tires. Looking to purchase later new old stock cs7800 cassettes , new old stock st 7800 brifters, new old stock br 7800 brakes, new oldstock fc 7800 or fc 7700 cranksets if not a fsa carbon cranksets and a last pair of zipp 60 or 404.Next month will be the gary fisher hookoo ekoo assembly, with mavic D521 rims with hope hubs, dt swiss spsokes, michelin tubes, continental tires, xtr980-xt780t mix of tramissions,xt 780 v brakes and pedals after this last MTB project finished, I will start will the road bikes projects.

Last edited by georges1; 03-03-24 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-03-24, 02:27 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
No pictures but after a bad fall due to unsalted icy road in january with more fear than harm, i decided to stop riding bikes for a moment made. Made a radio, went to the doctor two times. Feeling much better but still had one of the worst fears of my life that I had my collar bone broken and my elbow broken but thankfully it isn't the case. The giant bronco MTB will be assembled by my bike tech with the full xt 780t transmission and pedals, rock shox recon fork, selle italia, easton bar and stem, titec seat post, mavic crossmax mark 1 and continental tires. My 1993 giant tourer gets a whole transmission upgrade with full xt 780t transmission, pedals and vbrakes, mavic A 719 high end gravel rims with xt 780 t hubs and spoking a la mavic crossmax , slime tubes and schwalbe marathon tires. My 1993 Peugeot Prestige gets an upgrade too with da 7800 front, da 7800 rear, sl 7800 shifters, cs 7800 cassette and cn 6600 chain plus slime tubes continental grand prix 4 seasons tires. Looking to purchase later new old stock cs7800 cassettes , new old stock st 7800 brifters, new old stock br 7800 brakes, new oldstock fc 7800 or fc 7700 cranksets if not a fsa carbon cranksets and a last pair of zipp 60 or 404.Next month will be the gary fisher hookoo ekoo assembly, with mavic D521 rims with hope hubs, dt swiss spsokes, michelin tubes, continental tires, xtr980-xt780t mix of tramissions,xt 780 v brakes and pedals after this last MTB project finished, I will start will the road bikes projects.
Yep, scary stuff, we don't bounce well anymore.

FWIW, I have broken several bones, always on bikes or mc's, never any fun but none of them stopped me getting back on them and I am a bit more careful now that I crossed over the 65 year threshold.

The one thing was motivation to return to the pre crash fitness or as close as possible.

Any backsliding which is unavoidable, diminishes previous fitness and leaves you older and less prepared for what comes.

I strongly encourage you to get back to it in some way, trainer, workout, something, etc.

Years ago a good friend that I drag raced mc's with told me "getting old is not for sissy's" (no disrespect), he was not wrong.

Last edited by merziac; 03-03-24 at 02:39 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-03-24, 02:43 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Yep, scary stuff, we don't bounce well anymore.

FWIW, I have broken several bones, always on bikes or mc's, never any fun but none of them stopped me getting back on them and I am a bit more careful now that I crossed over the 65 year threshold.

The one thing was motivation to return to the pre crash fitness or as close as possible.

Any backsliding which is unavoidable, diminishes previous fitness and leaves you older and less prepared for what comes.

I strongly encourage you to get back to it in some way, trainer, workout, something, etc.

Years ago a good friend that I drag raced mc's with told me getting old is not for sissy's (no disrespect), he was not wrong.
Thanks for your kinds words Merziac which I appreciate greatly I had a bad crash when I was 10 years old because of some people , at 19 years old I had a very bad crash in a road bike race, also some years ago I suspect one bad minded neighbour who unteightened the steering of my town bike with which I had a crash. More fear than harm. I keep biking and walking despite this but I am more than ever vigilant but no more biking on unsalted icy roads, extra carefulness and awareness when biking under rain or in raining conditions. I am 45 years old but still I must be very vigilant.
Likes For georges1:
Old 03-03-24, 03:31 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Thanks for your kinds words Merziac which I appreciate greatly I had a bad crash when I was 10 years old because of some people , at 19 years old I had a very bad crash in a road bike race, also some years ago I suspect one bad minded neighbour who unteightened the steering of my town bike with which I had a crash. More fear than harm. I keep biking and walking despite this but I am more than ever vigilant but no more biking on unsalted icy roads, extra carefulness and awareness when biking under rain or in raining conditions. I am 45 years old but still I must be very vigilant.
You're welcome

The danger is that the fear can be parallelizing, a death knell at the dragstrip, hyper awareness, vigilance and reactions are how you win since decisions and results are measured in millionths of a second on paper, much less than that internally.

The bike can be the same, when it hits the fan, instinct can be the only thing that saves you, that and luck which some can be made by the former.

I broke my leg on a tricycle when I was 3, bike again at 14, scapula at the dragstrip 2008, cracked pelvis at the dragstrip, 50 something and ulna (arm) on the bike at 59 that took 2 years to heal.

Also hit and run on bike by a car 2021, no broken bones but lasting unresolved neck/back issues.

I can't say any of it made me stronger but most of it showed that resolve was key to not succumbing to it anymore than necessary and was paramount to keeping going.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-03-24, 08:25 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
not exactly "wrenching", but had an unusual experience when fixing a flat yesterday.
The tire lost air at the end of Saturday's ride, so I fixed it at home. Removed the tube and put a little air in it.
My usual method to find the hole is to move the slightly inflated tube past my cheek, expecting to feel the air on my cheek or hear the hiss of the leak.
It didn't take long to detect the leak, but the surprise was when I looked at the hole in the tube...

The bit of glass that caused the puncture was still in the tube!

On the plus side, I was about the change the rear tire, so this didn't add any real work.
Also, it was a chance to try out the can of vulcanizing fluid to attach the patch. I've been having problems with the glue in my Park patch kits drying out, and bought the vulcanizing fluid at an auto parts store as an alternative.
The bike has a new rear tire now, and no leak, so it's a success!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-04-24, 04:23 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
Things are getting serious

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-04-24, 07:26 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

My commuting bike (1973 Raleigh International which I hand-painted) has been wearing a borrowed wheel for a couple of years. I borrowed it from my Lemond titanium racing bike. The Lemond has been wearing 650B wheels as an experiment. It's been fun, but I'll revert to 700c now, so it needs the borrowed wheel back. The 650B wheels are a very tight fit, and I can only use a 38 mm tire in the rear. The handling is a little wonky, especially if the front tire pressure isn't just right. The Lemond rode harshly, so I'll see if more supple 700c tires fix that.

A problem with borrowing the wheel is that the Lemond has a Campagnolo drivetrain, including a Campagnolo rear hub with Campagnolo spacing on the cassette. To shift, sometimes I have to use two clicks instead of one. It's not as bad as I would have thought, but the Raleigh will be going back to a Shimano rear hub.

I built a wheel last night! I used a Dura Ace hub I got off ebay a while back. I got it thinking I would build it onto my Lemond with 650B rims (while converting the Lemond to a Shimano drivetrain), but I changed my mind. I was told that this particular vintage Dura Ace hub can accept many kinds of Shimano cassettes, so I very much hope it accepts my 10-speed cassette. I used a 36-hole CR18 rim I got years ago when I stocked up on parts for flipping bikes. I anticipated a lot more need than I ended up having. I bought the spokes from Lee Kilpatrick (lkspoke@yahoo.com) who cuts custom spokes. It's always a pleasure dealing with him. I recommend him highly. I used a technique @FBinNY taught me which is to use a lighter gauge spokes on the non-drive side. I also have hundreds of spoke nipples hanging around from when I stocked up on parts.

My Raleigh isn't wearing my new wheel yet. Here it is, ready to go to work today. It's 13 miles each way, so I don't do the commute on bike most of the time.

Here is the wheel after lacing and before tensioning. I like to put a rubber band around the hub so people I can mess with the heads of who don't know about bikes, making them wonder how I got it "in there."

Soon, I'll try the cassette on the new wheel and use it on the Raleigh.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-04-24, 09:01 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Things are getting serious

Just to lighten things up, lol, let’s see the Princess House.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 03-04-24, 10:49 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My commuting bike (1973 Raleigh International which I hand-painted) has been wearing a borrowed wheel for a couple of years. I borrowed it from my Lemond titanium racing bike. The Lemond has been wearing 650B wheels as an experiment. It's been fun, but I'll revert to 700c now, so it needs the borrowed wheel back. The 650B wheels are a very tight fit, and I can only use a 38 mm tire in the rear. The handling is a little wonky, especially if the front tire pressure isn't just right. The Lemond rode harshly, so I'll see if more supple 700c tires fix that.

A problem with borrowing the wheel is that the Lemond has a Campagnolo drivetrain, including a Campagnolo rear hub with Campagnolo spacing on the cassette. To shift, sometimes I have to use two clicks instead of one. It's not as bad as I would have thought, but the Raleigh will be going back to a Shimano rear hub.

I built a wheel last night! I used a Dura Ace hub I got off ebay a while back. I got it thinking I would build it onto my Lemond with 650B rims (while converting the Lemond to a Shimano drivetrain), but I changed my mind. I was told that this particular vintage Dura Ace hub can accept many kinds of Shimano cassettes, so I very much hope it accepts my 10-speed cassette. I used a 36-hole CR18 rim I got years ago when I stocked up on parts for flipping bikes. I anticipated a lot more need than I ended up having. I bought the spokes from Lee Kilpatrick (lkspoke@yahoo.com) who cuts custom spokes. It's always a pleasure dealing with him. I recommend him highly. I used a technique @FBinNY taught me which is to use a lighter gauge spokes on the non-drive side. I also have hundreds of spoke nipples hanging around from when I stocked up on parts.

My Raleigh isn't wearing my new wheel yet. Here it is, ready to go to work today. It's 13 miles each way, so I don't do the commute on bike most of the time.

Here is the wheel after lacing and before tensioning. I like to put a rubber band around the hub so people I can mess with the heads of who don't know about bikes, making them wonder how I got it "in there."

Soon, I'll try the cassette on the new wheel and use it on the Raleigh.
I love you international and have used cr18s many times. Really and excellent rim.
Old 03-04-24, 11:10 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I love you international and have used cr18s many times. Really and excellent rim.
and we all love you Russ, lol.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-04-24, 12:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@52telecaster, the CR18 is a sturdy rim, and it builds up nice and true. (I feel like I should say "truly," but we don't say that.) The wheel without rubber or cassette weighs 1,230 grams. The wheel should fare much better than the racing wheel I had originally which had only 24 spokes. I knew it wouldn't last long. One of the spokes pulled through and broke the rim. Here's hoping the cassette fits onto the hub!

Old 03-04-24, 12:54 PM
Bergz
Bergz

Bikes: Woodrup, Avanti, no-name

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 51 Posts

I always lamented the loss of the aluminum mounting bolt on the last generation of Suntour Superbe Pro. The sprung upper pivot does not appear to be necessary yet adds weight and complexity.
I turned down the head of a Sram mounting bolt to fit inside the Suntour bore and it works well saving 20 grams in the process. I'm sure I'll notice the reduced weight immediately....

Last edited by Bergz; 03-04-24 at 01:13 PM. Reason: missed photos
Likes For Bergz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.