Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Fuso 1st Gen

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New Fuso 1st Gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 12:14 PM
Triplecrank92

Bikes: '93 Cannondale R500; '88 Centurion Ironman Expert, '97 Cannondale R900, '95 Serotta CSI, '83 Trek 700, '97 Lemond Zurich, '89 Bianchi Giro, '87 Schwinn Prologue, '83 Fuji TSIV + one perturbed wife

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 58 Posts
New Fuso 1st Gen

I thought I would share my latest project. It's a first generation Fuso. Having done some research on the Fuso website, this one belonged to rjhammett in the past. Mr. Hammett restored the frame by powder coating it back to one of the original Moulton colors of red/charcoal grey (by far the best combo with the red/silver being a close second) and by acquiring the decals from Moulton himself. Being an earlier Fuso, it has a metal head tube badge and the fork has the Fuso name cast in the crown which are nice touches.

I received it as a frame from a different owner, so I stripped my '87 Circuit of all its components with the exception of the headset and put it on the Fuso. It's all Suntour Sprint components (friction) even with Sprint hubs and the original Araya black early "aero" rims off the Circuit. I think "aero" back in 1987 meant slightly rounded unlike modern day aero rims. I haven't removed the plastic "dork disk" yet but I don't have a Suntour rear cassette removal tool and haven't committed to just breaking the disk off. I will need to adjust/tighten the shift levers since the derailleurs tend to slowly pull the chain out out of trim. I had a new retro, white Turbo saddle on the bike that looked REALLY nice but the saddle was like riding a wood board, so I reverted back to a favorite saddle, a WTB Rocket.

It rides nice. It supposedly has a longer trail in the fork per Moulton's blog compared to most bikes. It felt a little squirrelly when I first stood out of the saddle on a test ride (which I think was a fluke) because I haven't replicated that sensation. I'll have to pay attention on any descents to see if the trail/stability stands out. All in all, it will definitely be in the rotation with the other favorites.

Old 03-10-24, 12:40 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Very VERY Nice!

I did note that you kept the Dork Disk. A totally useless piece of safety equipment till it isn't... Ha

Yep... After wrecking two derailleurs and trashing the spokes on three wheel sets I finally learned my lesson and replaced them on any bike I may ride in the brush...
Old 03-10-24, 11:41 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
A great builder that we see far to little from.

Another one of many I should get built up.
Old 03-11-24, 12:22 AM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 161 Posts
There’s a lot to be said for three-colour panelled paint schemes as these Fusos and many 1980s Merckx team frames demonstrate. Fades, by comparison, seem to have faded while these have endured.
Old 03-11-24, 08:55 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Excellent bike!
DM is probably my favorite frame builder.
I like his story and philosophy. His frames are not overly ornate, just well made & to be ridden. I remember his advertisements in 80s cycling magazines but never had an opportunity to own one until a few years ago.
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 03-11-24, 09:04 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts

Mine also was cobbled together from my old ride, an aluminum Klein. This is a much better riding bike!
Likes For embankmentlb: