Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cure for Cold Feet and Cold Hands

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cure for Cold Feet and Cold Hands

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 05:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
a lot of icy ' hot.... be sure to apply just the hot tho.
Old 10-30-20, 03:00 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I ride motorcycles to work all year. If your hands and feet are getting cold it is most likely because you are not insulating your core well enough. Your body restricts circulation to extremeties at the first sign of hyperthermia to sacrifice them while trying to keep you alive. Keep your head and torso warm. Waterproof gloves and boots are a good plan as long as you have wicking materials like wool or poly against your skin. Remember what the mountain hikers say, "cotton kills".
I wonder if compression socks would help,, Squeeze those veins, keep blood ciculating
Old 10-30-20, 04:43 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
I wonder if compression socks would help,, Squeeze those veins, keep blood ciculating
​​​​​​God no, compression restricts blood flow!
Old 10-31-20, 05:35 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by jkinner
I'm considering signing up for Adventure Cycling Association's North Star tour that goes from Missoula MT to Anchorage, Alaska in summer of 2021. I reviewed journals from some hearty souls that did that ride in 2014 and 2018 (I don't think ACA offers the North Star tour every year) and came away with these impressions: 1) Fantastic Scenery; 2) Great Friendships; 3) Rain....and more rain; and 4) Cold...temps reported in 30s and 40s for large share of trip. I did a ride in the NW and Yukon territories several years ago and experienced the same things reported in the journals above. I also remember my feet being blocks of ice and unable to feel my fingers on many days of that tour despite wearing gloves and shoe coverings. So.....
1. I am considering purchasing winter cycling boots such as Lake's MXZ304 or 45NRTH's Wolvehammer or the Shimano XM9. All of these are pricey and the reviews of these boots on the web seem all over the place (love, hate, ambivalent). Anyone have any experience with these and your opinion of them?
2. I'm also considering buying bar mitts - used traditionally by Mountain Bicyclists in winter to keep my hands warm. Any opinions about these?
3. Any other tips/advice regarding keeping hands and feet warm greatly appreciated!
Wool socks, merino specifically, Darn Tough socks are made in Vermont and guaranteed for life. The heavier version that is good for winter cycling is the Hiker line in the “cushion” type.

For gloves, my favorite are Castelli Diluvio C, some like neoprene gloves some don’t but I find them great.
Old 10-31-20, 11:18 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Some ultra riders would not be able to finish the race if not for compression socks to manage lower leg swelling.
Old 10-31-20, 02:02 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
​​​​​​God no, compression restricts blood flow!
I thought they increased blood flow
Old 10-31-20, 05:05 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
I thought they increased blood flow
See above post, often used for swollen muscles, they support the muscle and restrict flow (and thus swelling) to the capillaries Thus reducing swelling and further damage.. I’ve used them on my calves due to basketball injuries.

If too tight, your toes or fingers will just get cold. The marketing hype of of “improved circulation” really just means it allows you to better be active with an injury, so have better circulation than you would if just sitting on the couch and may help speed recovery. The compression can also help prevent injury to troublesome areas.
Old 11-02-20, 07:20 PM
jkinner

Bikes: Thorn Nomad, Haibike XDuro Trekking

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
In response...

I'm considering signing up for Adventure Cycling Association's North Star tour that goes from Missoula MT to Anchorage, Alaska in summer of 2021. I reviewed journals from some hearty souls that did that ride in 2014 and 2018 (I don't think ACA offers the North Star tour every year) and came away with these impressions: 1) Fantastic Scenery; 2) Great Friendships; 3) Rain....and more rain; and 4) Cold...temps reported in 30s and 40s for large share of trip. I did a ride in the NW and Yukon territories several years ago and experienced the same things reported in the journals above. I also remember my feet being blocks of ice and unable to feel my fingers on many days of that tour despite wearing gloves and shoe coverings. So.....
1. I am considering purchasing winter cycling boots such as Lake's MXZ304 or 45NRTH's Wolvehammer or the Shimano XM9. All of these are pricey and the reviews of these boots on the web seem all over the place (love, hate, ambivalent). Anyone have any experience with these and your opinion of them?
2. I'm also considering buying bar mitts - used traditionally by Mountain Bicyclists in winter to keep my hands warm. Any opinions about these?
3. Any other tips/advice regarding keeping hands and feet warm greatly appreciated!
Thank you for all the suggestions and recommendations. After reading all of them I'm convinced the best advice was given by DownTube42 who wrote, "You'll have to determine for yourself what works." I was unaware that Hothands now sells foot warmers (vs just toe or finger warmers) which might be a good solution on those really cold days. I am still thinking of purchasing a pair of Lake's MXZ304 - if only I could find a pair. Extensive internet search revealed no one has my size in stock (44) and no one could tell me when they will be coming in. I purchased bar mitts and expect those will be very helpful when used in concert with layered gloves. Agree with all comments regarding the need to layer - preferably with wool and the use of very good rain gear. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and comments!!
Old 11-06-20, 10:13 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
this year im building usb powered feet warmers
Old 11-07-20, 04:34 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
If you smoke, stop. The nicotine causes vasoconstriction, resulting in a reduction of blood supply to any place in the body that relies on small blood vessels. This includes the hands and feet.
Old 11-07-20, 06:22 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Lots of good advice. My takeaway from it is (if I were in your place) take advantage of this winter to find out what works for you.
In my experience, to stay warm, stay dry; both from rain and sweat.
Sounds like fun.