Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kinekt or Redshift suspension stems?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 08:45 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts

Has anyone tried both? What were your thoughts? This would be for a hybrid type bike with riser bars.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-21, 10:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
So the Redshift stem looks way better but performance wise springs are going to win out against elastomers which is what Kinekt uses.

I will make it quite clear from a fitting stand point if you are using both a isolation post like the Kinekt or Thudbuster with a suspension stem you are riding a weird rocking horse and that is not good for comfort or fit. Pick one and that will be a bit better and for that I would do seatpost more than stem.

In your case looking at the bikes you list the Firmstrong is a cheapo cruiser and uses a quill stem which is not worth converting to use either stem and the Traverse has a suspension fork which wouldn't need a suspension stem unless you are trying to do something ridiculous which has been done but for silly reasons at a ex-coworkers shop many years ago with 90s era suspension gizmos. If it is a different bike then all the same applies if the bikes are similar to these, if not have at it.
Old 01-27-21, 12:20 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I have only used the Redshift stem - on my gravel bike with drop bars and 35mm tires. I have an arthritic elbow (two actually but only one really bothers me on the bike, old injuries) and I think the Redshift stem helps quite a bit on gravel and rough surfaces. I don't notice bar movement at all in those circumstances but do feel less elbow pain. So I'm happy.

On the other hand, if I take a big hit, like a root or pothole at speed, I do feel the stem movement, the bars going down a bit. Obviously it's not a lot, there's just not that much movement possible. But the first couple of times it was a little disorienting and kind of freaked me out a little because, well the bars just shouldn't move! The first thought was, hey, something's breaking, not good. But that was just the first time. After that, I now just have the mind set that I'm going to feel movement in the bars under certain circumstances. But I know that it's not a crisis, nothing's breaking, and I'm won't have control issues. As long as I'm aware of it might happening, it's fine.

But on gravel and rough pavement, I am very happy I have this stem. I put one on my wife's gravel bike before I bought one for mine because she also has an elbow injury/arthritis (only one, lucky her!) and she complained about pain on rough surfaces. She seems to like it, not that she thinks about it, but that's probably because she's not thinking about her elbow pain.

It's easy to adjust the elastomers for your body weight, and you can adjust a little stiffer or softer as experience dictates. Of course, if you're on the heavy or light end of the spectrum for the stem, you can't adjust both ways.

I am thinking hard about putting them on our other threadless stemmed road bikes, even though it's going to cost me a good two or three ounces each

Last edited by Camilo; 01-27-21 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-27-21, 12:43 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Looking at the graph on the Redshift site, the initial significant shock was reduced, but the subsequent shocks in the right side of the graph, were in slightly higher amplitude in relation to the test comparison.

I'm not sure what to make of that. An artifact of testing? What is the baseline? What is the test procedure? Why is the baseline background vibration not set on the x-axis? What is the value of the y-axis?

The waves more-or-less track eachother well across the graph, so obviously the results are particular to the bike & the test rig, but the Redshift has slightly less attenuated non-shock values? (Peak 1 & 3 of the graph, & 5, 6 & 7 after the shock.) That can't be right, can it? Why would anyone show graph time slices that show no amplitude reduction, let alone equal or greater values? Clearly, when the elastomer is engaged there is a reduction in shock. That's the selling point.

The rest? I'm unconvinced the Redshift stem does anything desirable in regards to the riding experience. It may be in the range of imperceptibility...It may not. At the very least their own graph shows the vibration reduction claim to be dubious, at best. This "graph" may as well be useless.

StemAmazon-2_750x750 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Either way, a while ago I bought/pre-ordered one of the ultra-light ones with titanium hardware. I'll have some feedback after it arrives in February & have ridden it a bit.

As for the The Kinekt, I fail to see how it's different than the awful positive feedback loop stems of the 1980's & at 500 grams or ~1.1 pounds each, I'm not willing to find out.

Last edited by base2; 01-28-21 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-27-21, 06:10 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Like Veganbikes said, pick either a stem or seat post; both is hard to make work right, especially on a bike that wasn’t designed with any suspension.

As to what kind; it depends on how you sit on the bike: If you’re very upright, with most of your weight on the seat, like many ‘comfort’ hybrids, then you’ll benefit more from a seat post. Linkage style posts like the Kinekt and Thudbuster are better suited to the direction that rear wheel impacts actually come from than the less-expensive telescoping styles.

If you ride in a more sporting manner, where it’s easier to shift your weight from the saddle to your feet, then you’re likely to see better performance from a suspension stem. The Redshift is lighter and less obvious than the Kinekt, which offers more travel, and tuning options. BTW, the Kinect is the encore project of a couple of engineers from SoftRide, who developed the OG suspension stem back in the day.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 01-27-21, 06:37 AM
MrWasabi

Thanks for the excellent replies everyone,

It sounds like if I do anything, maybe I should look at the seat post instead of the stem? The Kinekt does look very bulky as well. Just tinkering here and I could see how it could be overkill especially on a bike that may have suspension forks already. I usually lockout my suspension forks on pavement and was thinking that maybe the stem could add a lighter layer of comfort in between being locked and not. My next bike won't have suspension forks as I don't need them. I got the Fuji used for a good deal to get me back into riding a few years ago. Eyeballing new bikes now but it looks like it may be awhile so fixing up the Fooge a bit in the meantime. Yeah vegan, I'm capable of some ridiculous stuff...lol.

Last edited by MrWasabi; 01-27-21 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-27-21, 01:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by MrWasabi
Thanks for the excellent replies everyone,

It sounds like if I do anything, maybe I should look at the seat post instead of the stem? The Kinekt does look very bulky as well. Just tinkering here and I could see how it could be overkill especially on a bike that may have suspension forks already. I usually lockout my suspension forks on pavement and was thinking that maybe the stem could add a lighter layer of comfort in between being locked and not. My next bike won't have suspension forks as I don't need them. I got the Fuji used for a good deal to get me back into riding a few years ago. Eyeballing new bikes now but it looks like it may be awhile so fixing up the Fooge a bit in the meantime. Yeah vegan, I'm capable of some ridiculous stuff...lol.
That is the problem with bikes like that is they put a big clunky heavy suspension fork on it but people really don't need it. It is not a mountain bike and provide little travel but are quite heavy. I probably wouldn't spend the money to replace that fork but would consider for future purchases avoiding bike like that and trying to find something with a rigid fork and wider tire clearance or a mountain bike if I am mountain biking. Since you have the fork use it the stem is just adding in more weight not lightening things in this case. Just try to cram wider tires in if possible and use the fork you have.

Sometimes those ridiculous bikes are fun projects but not practical riders, I think they used the bike for beer and coffee runs to the shop and more as a "can we do this". If you are riding the Fuji regularly best to keep it practical.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-27-21, 01:38 PM
MrWasabi

Thanks again vegan!

That's great info and yes, I'll be skipping suspension forks next time when I have more of a choice. I thought about changing them out to rigid (carbon?) but like you said, I'm not sure I want to spend that on the Fuji now. I'd rather roll it into a new bike if I can find what I'm looking for available out there. I have 700/35Cs on it now and am riding about 80/20 paved/hard pack trails. That seems good for my needs but what do I know as basically I'm still a new guy. The Redshift doesn't seem to add that much more in weight/bulk and again, I was looking for something in between to smooth smaller stuff out when my forks are locked.

As for using a ridiculous bike for beer and coffee runs, I'm already messing up there as my friends and I have been stopping on our last leg home for beer and/or bloody marys. I guess we think we are being healthy with the added veggies.

In all seriousness I want to keep riding more, get better so I can actually benefit from a better bike. It's a fun way to help get back in shape.
Likes For MrWasabi:
Old 01-27-21, 01:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by MrWasabi
Thanks again vegan!

That's great info and yes, I'll be skipping suspension forks next time when I have more of a choice. I thought about changing them out to rigid (carbon?) but like you said, I'm not sure I want to spend that on the Fuji now. I'd rather roll it into a new bike if I can find what I'm looking for available out there. I have 700/35Cs on it now and am riding about 80/20 paved/hard pack trails. That seems good for my needs but what do I know as basically I'm still a new guy. The Redshift doesn't seem to add that much more in weight/bulk and again, I was looking for something in between to smooth smaller stuff out when my forks are locked.

As for using a ridiculous bike for beer and coffee runs, I'm already messing up there as my friends and I have been stopping on our last leg home for beer and/or bloody marys. I guess we think we are being healthy with the added veggies.

In all seriousness I want to keep riding more, get better so I can actually benefit from a better bike. It's a fun way to help get back in shape.
I love a good Bloody Mary so I am all for that. Beer I use for cooking but don't like it for drinking just can't dig the taste but tomato juice is my jam. I do like them with whiskey and homemade hot sauce and chili vinegar. I did have one in Chicago twice (I had two they were quite good) that had fried green tomatoes as a garnish which I am not a fan of (these drinks have gotten so ridiculous) but I do love fried green tomatoes so I let it slide. As a whole probably the Blood Mary would be the healthier of the drinks not that it is a health tonic but Vodka typically has the lowest calorie count and tomato juice has lycopene, lemon juice and horseradish has vitamin C and hot sauce does have anti inflammatory properties amongst other things. But again not a health tonic but not the worst thing in the world and after cycling probably a decent choice.

Most anyone who rides with some sense of regularity (or plans for it) can benefit from a better bike. Sometimes people start so low they can get discouraged when it doesn't feel right or doesn't work well and then it makes it harder to get out there and ride. Not saying you need the top end to do that but the middle has some fine bikes.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-27-21, 08:22 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Good thread, I just bought a Kinekt to out on my Salsa Fargo, which will be using a Moloko bar. Cant wait to try it out.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 01-27-21, 08:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Good thread, I just bought a Kinekt to out on my Salsa Fargo, which will be using a Moloko bar. Cant wait to try it out.
I love the Moloko bar! Good choice. It is probably the heaviest bar I own but really comfortable and a nice set up. Plus steel is real : )
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-27-21, 08:50 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I love the Moloko bar! Good choice. It is probably the heaviest bar I own but really comfortable and a nice set up. Plus steel is real : )

I had heard the Moloko was heavy being steel. The first time I picked it up I laughed as I thought it was light! I’m not a gram counter. That Kinekt seat post is definitely heavy by comparison to my carbon posts on other bikes.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 01-27-21, 09:50 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I had a 100mm ShockStop on my Stigmata for a few months. It's a solid stem, easy to work on, does everything it says it does and completely worth the price. It softens rough terrain by just a bit and it looks good on your bike.

You may need to use some dry lube to prevent squeaking when you are grinding up a climb and don't completely trust their guide for the elastomer stiffness to use. It can be a starting point but your bar will move when you sprint or climb if you have it on the softer side.

Ultimately since I'm about 90% road I swapped it out for a Ritchey rigid stem and I'm happy.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 01-28-21, 07:38 AM
MrWasabi

Originally Posted by KJ43
I had a 100mm ShockStop on my Stigmata for a few months. It's a solid stem, easy to work on, does everything it says it does and completely worth the price. It softens rough terrain by just a bit and it looks good on your bike.

You may need to use some dry lube to prevent squeaking when you are grinding up a climb and don't completely trust their guide for the elastomer stiffness to use. It can be a starting point but your bar will move when you sprint or climb if you have it on the softer side.

Ultimately since I'm about 90% road I swapped it out for a Ritchey rigid stem and I'm happy.
Thanks for the report!
As for the squeaking, I can look at that as a plus to help folks know I'm coming if they don't hear me groaning already.
Old 01-28-21, 03:10 PM
Trocadile

Bikes: Reynolds 853 hardtail MTB; Titanium mini velo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
I have 3 bikes with flatbars and now have 3 Redshift stems on them. So, obviously, I love them - they significantly quiet road chatter with very little downside (other than price). The only time I notice bob is when I'm pulling hard up a hill. Haven't used the Kinekt.
Likes For Trocadile: