Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

SR Semi pro Beer run bike build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-21, 12:47 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts

I've keeping my eye out for a bike to do a fun build on and found a a SR Semi Pro at a good price (as found pic is on the bottom)

the bike had mostly 600 arabesque, but some one had put on Suntour bar send shifters, unfortunate pedals, saddle and clashing handle bar tape. Overall it had not had a lot of use, showing little wear on the chain rings

I took it all apart to clean and lube and ended up replacing the headset with a tange levin, put in a sealed un300 BB (apparently this is the current shimano square taper bb). i just swapped seatpost (sr) and B17 from another bike, from my stash put on velo orange postino bars with tektro city levers. I found some arabesque downtube shifters. I was going to put the 600 brakes back on but was having some problems so put on some tektro dual pivot from the stash...they fit the look and a am ready if i ever swap out to 700c. new white jagwire cabling seemed to be the way to go. the wheels are in good shape and I was surprised to find that this was not a freewheel but a Uniglide glide cassette. Put panaracer paselas on.

putting the blackburn porteur rack on was the biggest pain. Bad instruction and multiple possible options....I still have to trim the excess tubes

but all in all a fun ride, shifting is super good. Getting used to porteur, but for me jury is out on it vs a rear rack and bags

Here is completed bike

here is as found

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-05-21, 01:02 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Good looking bike, nice build.

If you take it to Cino and bring the beer, you will be the most popular guy on that ride for sure. This could be the perfect Cinorider.
Old 07-05-21, 01:10 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Those are nice riding bikes.
Old 07-05-21, 01:13 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Looks GREAT squirtdad !!!

Love the color.

I'm in agreement with you.....rear rack better
Old 07-05-21, 01:24 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
...but all in all a fun ride...
That's what counts!!!

I really like that long relaxed frame and the fork reminds me of that Motobecane classic sweep...

Here's another Knock Off sized for a Bumper Sticker...Attached Images
File Type: pdf
SrSuntour.pdf (13.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by zandoval; 07-05-21 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-05-21, 01:49 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Good looking bike, nice build.

If you take it to Cino and bring the beer, you will be the most popular guy on that ride for sure. This could be the perfect Cinorider.
LOL That was in my mind actually for a future Cino. The gearing is pretty tall for Cino (and my current weight and fitness level) so future, this year is 84 team miyata, but putting a triple up front and a mega range with 34 in the the back....

Old 07-05-21, 03:29 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Nice build! I agree that the Blackburn Local is a little frustrating to set up, but I liked it well enough the few times I used it. Let me know if you solve the rattling of the platform — I was going to troubleshoot with old inner tubes, but then I turned the bike into a drop bar, and then just sold the frame. I was about to mount it on another bike and the pandemic hit, so no more commuting for a long time.

Old 07-05-21, 05:40 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Gotta LBS sticker on it? Not a lot of SR dealers in the Bay Area BITD, good bikes, but second tier brand.