Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale HollowGram Si Carbon Clincher Wheel Not Tubeless Ready?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-21, 09:26 AM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

Nearly two years ago I purchased a Supersix Evo that came stock with Cannondale's new Hollogram wheels. The Cannondale rep told me they were tubeless ready and several ads online (from bike stores, not Cannondale) said the same thing. One ad said that these particular wheels were "Stans certified" as tubeless. So, I promptly had my LBS, where I purchased the bike, add GP 5000TL tubeless tires. Those tires performed flawlessly for a year, keeping pressure much better than my clinchers and providing by far the best ride and cornering performance of any tire-wheel combo I've owned. A week ago, I managed to slash the rear tire on a big piece of gravel. The LBS didn't have GP 5000 tubeless in stock, but recommended the new Vittoria tubeless. An hour after leaving the shop, I noticed the tire was flat (while still in my trunk) and all the sealant leaked out. I took it back and they tried again to mount it. That lasted for three days in my garage, then suddenly the same thing happened.

This time when I took it back, the LBS called Cannondale to ask for a recommendation on compatible tubeless. To all of our surprise, the Cannondale rep said that the rim brake version of the Hollowgram -- which I have -- is NOT tubeless compatible. He said that it was a "miracle" that the GP tubeless tires worked on it at all. This raises several questions in my mind.

First, is he correct? It seems odd that if these were not tubeless compatible, that any tubeless tire would have worked so well. I rode them very aggressively since this is my race wheel set. I should add, however, that the GPs were a bear to get on -- extremely tight -- so maybe that was the key?

Second, even if it's not technically tubeless compatible, is there any real harm/danger in buying another GP tubeless tire and continuing to go tubeless on them, given that GPs, at least, have proven to work? The front wheel still has a GP tuneless that has plenty of life remaining. I run the tubeless at considerably lower pressure than clinchers, which can be a huge benefit but which would also seem to put less pressure on the rim sidewall, so I don't see a danger of blowing out the rim.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-21, 12:23 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Sounds odd. I'm pretty sure those wheels are tubeless ready. Can you post a photo?

I've had several tubeless tires that wouldn't hold air for more than a day or two after initial install, and new tape job + adding sealant has solved it. If your shop didn't replace the tape, I'd start there.

I would not be comfortable running road tubeless on a non-tubeless rim, but I have a feeling that isn't the case here.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-23-21, 02:49 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
After I posted, I spoke with a Cannondale rep at their 800 number. He insisted these are tubeless ready. I dropped off both wheels at my LBS, which is having a Cannondale rep come in to look at them next week. If they're NOT tuneless ready, then Cannondale will probably want to make that more clear to bike shops, since a number of them are advertising these wheels as such.
Old 04-26-21, 07:10 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Stans is absolute garbage for road tubeless pressures. I'd try a different sealant. I use Orange Seal on my road bike for this reason. Stans on my MTBs.
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 08-16-21, 08:52 PM
nottoofast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you end up getting a definitive answer from Cannondale? I have the same wheels and after my ride of many flats yesterday, I'd really like to go tubeless. Thanks!