Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Latest Tesla self-driving software version doesn't stop for pedestrian in crossing

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Latest Tesla self-driving software version doesn't stop for pedestrian in crossing

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 05:41 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
But, but, but, that tactic worked so well for him when he "did his own research" regarding not having to wear masks or vaccines when nobody called him on it, so you should just let him have his way here too.
Do you have a cite for that?

Of course not. Make up whatever you wish for forward your position and contend that it's true.

Do you believe there is no valid scientific evidence for masks and vaccines? If so, you aren't worth bothering with. If not, it's a rather absurd analogy. Or you're just trolling.

(edit: the irony here just occurred to me. my objection is to accepting as science those opinions not supported by strong data and investigation. if as a society we become more accustomed to accepting this then everyone can "follow the science" to support whatever they wish to believe. and we've seen the result of that.)

Prof. Cummings is acting as an advocate. She is forwarding opinion, not science. There is not sufficient data to reach these conclusions and everyone in this discussion knows that. The story on which the thread is based admits that. But you want to believe what she says is data based science so you contend that it is absent any factual evidence.

I take no issue with Prof. Cummings opinions. Likely substantially correct IMO. But I don't confuse opinions with science. It's isn't yet possible to obtain data good enough to draw conclusions and until there is we shouldn't pretend there is.

But I recognize there's no point in continuing to argue with ideologues. Have at it children.

Last edited by jon c.; 06-12-23 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-12-23, 06:01 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Of course vaccines are efficacious, but so many people made the same argument that because I don't have the time to explain the basic fundamentals of molecular biology and immunology to you, the fact that I'm a professor of microbiology with many, many years experience in the field is just an appeal to authority fallacy and my word about vaccines working has no more strength than some random idiot's word that they don't because he once read something on facebook that said they didn't.

Any time you try to say your word on something you are not an expert on is worth just as much as the word of someone who is an expert in that field because they don't take the time to spell out all the little details to you because of "appeal to authority fallacy" you are creating an even bigger logical fallacy as you fall into the depths of Dunning Kruger.

Old 06-12-23, 06:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.

Prof. Cummings is acting as an advocate. She is forwarding opinion, not science. There is not sufficient data to reach these conclusions and everyone in this discussion knows that. The story on which the thread is based admits that. But you want to believe what she says is data based science so you contend that it is absent any factual evidence.

I take no issue with Prof. Cummings opinions. Likely substantially correct IMO. But I don't confuse opinions with science. It's isn't yet possible to obtain data good enough to draw conclusions and until there is we shouldn't pretend there is.

But I recognize there's no point in continuing to argue with ideologues. Have at it children.

This is so tortured, it's funny. The issue is that Tesla put this technology on 400,000 cars in the absence of data that showed it was safe. When the data emerges that shows Tesla has been concealing the actual casualties and fatalities, you go on about people needing to prove it's not safe. Nonsense. Your admission is basically that she's probably right but we're all fools to take her more seriously than you because she didn't publish the confidence interval in a newspaper article.
Old 06-12-23, 06:41 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This is so tortured, it's funny. The issue is that Tesla put this technology on 400,000 cars in the absence of data that showed it was safe.
And they have the gall to charge $15000 extra for it.
Old 06-13-23, 04:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
r

Originally Posted by JW Fas

After removing sensing capability due to shortages. The fan boys don't want to talk about that part, it's absolutely indefensible.
Old 06-13-23, 10:01 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
This over the top salesmanship does provide evidence that opportunities still exist for selling "stuff" and dreams to suckers who are born every minute. Seems to be a lot of bedazzled and/or gullible tech bros and Musk/Tesla cultists with more cents than sense.
Old 06-13-23, 11:32 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
https://www.commondreams.org/news/te...hes-and-deaths
Old 06-15-23, 03:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
This over the top salesmanship does provide evidence that opportunities still exist for selling "stuff" and dreams to suckers who are born every minute. Seems to be a lot of bedazzled and/or gullible tech bros and Musk/Tesla cultists with more cents than sense.
Only about 20% of North American Tesla owners are "suckers" and that figure drops to around 10% worldwide.

The vast majority of Tesla owners are not really the "Musk/Tesla cultists" that you are mocking. Your attitude makes any sensible balanced discussion of the pros and cons of FSD impossible. But I do agree (like 90% of Tesla drivers worldwide) that FSD isn't worth $15k.
Old 06-15-23, 04:03 AM
PeteHski

Great click-bait headline. But the graph just looks like a Tesla sales chart. Is there any attempt at normalising the data to take account of vehicle numbers/performance/miles driven? I'm all for critical data, but this looks like journalistic bs to me.
Old 06-15-23, 07:58 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Only about 20% of North American Tesla owners are "suckers" and that figure drops to around 10% worldwide.

The vast majority of Tesla owners are not really the "Musk/Tesla cultists" that you are mocking. Your attitude makes any sensible balanced discussion of the pros and cons of FSD impossible. But I do agree (like 90% of Tesla drivers worldwide) that FSD isn't worth $15k.
FSD has not been available "worldwide."
Tesla FSD Beta takes its first steps outside of North America
Extract:
Tesla FSD Beta has officially taken its first steps outside of North America, with the software making its way to cars in Australia, Germany, and Belgium.

Tesla owners are still waiting for the long-promised full self-driving capability, but in some markets, like in Europe, the Pacific, and Asia, owners don’t even have access to FSD Beta.
I'd say that declaring that 20% of a Tesla owners are "suckers" for buying FSD despite its flaws and lack of value is acknowledging the unpleasant truth that this is evidence that there Seems to be a lot of bedazzled and/or gullible tech bros and Musk/Tesla cultists with more cents than sense.
Old 06-15-23, 08:53 AM
PeteHski

FSD has not been available "worldwide."
Tesla FSD Beta takes its first steps outside of North America
Extract:

I'd say that declaring that 20% of a Tesla owners are "suckers" for buying FSD despite its flaws and lack of value is acknowledging the unpleasant truth that this is evidence that there Seems to be a lot of bedazzled and/or gullible tech bros and Musk/Tesla cultists with more cents than sense.
Did you notice I put "suckers" in quotation marks? It was actually your declaration, not mine. I was just pointing out that a large majority of Teslas on the road don't actually have FSD and that I don't personally think FSD is worth the cost. Anyway I see you are just a sore Tesla troll, which makes any discussion a complete waste of time.
Old 06-15-23, 11:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Did you notice I put "suckers" in quotation marks? It was actually your declaration, not mine. I was just pointing out that a large majority of Teslas on the road don't actually have FSD and that I don't personally think FSD is worth the cost. Anyway I see you are just a sore Tesla troll, which makes any discussion a complete waste of time.
Got it. All commentary, articles, or posts that reflect the negative aspects of Tesla's dangerous and irresponsible testing of cars operated by wonky "beta" software on public highways and street is the product of trolls spouting fake news.

I suggest you seek the discussion you seek on websites that that are favored by Tesla-stans where no negative shade is allowed to be cast (without a torrent of howls of "fake news!" "troll!" or "Tesla shorts!") on the capabilities, usefulness and future potential of Tesla so-called "self driving" features.

In the meantime the general public, to include pedestrians, bicyclists and other motorists are just unwilling (as well as willing Tesla owners) potential crash test dummies. All are being being exposed to unnecessary added risk from so-called self-driving vehicles being tested on the street under the control of "beta" software and untrained testers (who maybe are closely monitoring and correcting system errors), all for the benefit of amusing some Tesla owners and boosting the ego of the Tesla CEO.
Old 06-15-23, 12:27 PM
PeteHski

Got it. All commentary, articles, or posts that reflect the negative aspects of Tesla's dangerous and irresponsible testing of cars operated by wonky "beta" software on public highways and street is the product of trolls spouting fake news.

I suggest you seek the discussion you seek on websites that that are favored by Tesla-stans where no negative shade is allowed to be cast (without a torrent of howls of "fake news!" "troll!" or "Tesla shorts!") on the capabilities, usefulness and future potential of Tesla so-called "self driving" features.

In the meantime the general public, to include pedestrians, bicyclists and other motorists are just unwilling (as well as willing Tesla owners) potential crash test dummies. All are being being exposed to unnecessary added risk from so-called self-driving vehicles being tested on the street under the control of "beta" software and untrained testers (who maybe are closely monitoring and correcting system errors), all for the benefit of amusing some Tesla owners and boosting the ego of the Tesla CEO.
The trolling is from your persistent derogatory remarks about Tesla owners. It adds nothing to the discussion other than demonstrating your spite and arrogance.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-18-23, 11:13 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
This tweet seemed apropos.

Likes For JW Fas:
Old 04-15-24, 11:55 PM
lex further

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Was that actually fixed?
Old 04-16-24, 07:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by lex further
Was that actually fixed?
"Beta" mode of so-called FSD has been re-designated "Supervised" mode by Tesla. Still the same old, same old wonky software. Tesla still does not accept any responsibility or liability for its operation.
Old 04-16-24, 08:10 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
While cars are expected to yield, they are not required to come to a skidding stop if a pedestrian suddenly enters a crosswalk. Common sense is required by everyone involved.
As a driver, you should pay attention to the world and drive at a speed such that you can come to a safe stop if something suddenly enters the roadway. It doesn't matter what it is - a pedestrian, a kid biking down a driveway into the street, a deer, a dog, whatever. Many drivers violate this principle.

I might come to a skidding stop for a jaywalker that jumps in front of me, but I will see a crosswalk with a pedestrian on it in plenty of time to hit the brakes.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 04-16-24, 08:49 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
As a driver, you should pay attention to the world and drive at a speed such that you can come to a safe stop if something suddenly enters the roadway. It doesn't matter what it is - a pedestrian, a kid biking down a driveway into the street, a deer, a dog, whatever. Many drivers violate this principle.
So you must drive at no more than 5 mph then?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-16-24, 09:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Maybe California (and Arizona) need to write into a law or regulation that autonomous car software must be demonstrated by the CEO of the car company must cross the street in front of a car using that autonomous software. CEO dies, software isn't approved.
Nah. You'll just get VW-like software that recognizes CEOs.
Old 04-16-24, 10:04 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
So you must drive at no more than 5 mph then?
The secret is following distance. I hate it when I'm biking and I see no cars for a couple of minutes and three pass all on top of each other. Just spread out. The person with the most space in front of him is the best driver. When you aren't worried about hitting the car in front of you, then you gain the time to look at the sides of the road. Anything entering the road in front of you is likely to be clearly visible before it enters the road. There are places where things might "pop out" from, but those spots will be clearly visible as well so you can slow and look.
Old 04-16-24, 03:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
The secret is following distance. I hate it when I'm biking and I see no cars for a couple of minutes and three pass all on top of each other. Just spread out.
This is a growing issue that cops could easily ticket with tailgating offense... never happens tho.
Old 04-19-24, 05:41 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
If you have not figured you that Tesla is a complete lie and scam by now then I can't help you. I have a Telsa model 3 in my garage and it works great. There is a charger there too. I never use the auto anything. If you have been believing Elon Musk regarding anything then you are a fool.