Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ticketed for riding through Walk signal

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ticketed for riding through Walk signal

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-23, 01:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Cyclist safety should be considered, and intersections create dangerous conditions for cyclists.

1. Right turning cars are extremely dangerous for cyclists. Anything to get away from them and to increase visibility is good. The same applies to pedestrians, and is one of the reasons some cities are starting to turn the walk signal on before giving cars the green light, hoping to make pedestrians more visible (I like to get past the right turn lane before the cars are given the green). I don't think I'd use the crosswalk signal if I was not in the crosswalk, but the same early jump on traffic should apply to cyclists. And, also one reason for bike boxes on the far side of crosswalks to improve visibility.
  2. Bunching up traffic isn't particularly good, so again, some benefit of getting moving early.
If this went to court, I think the cyclist could argue that riding during the pedestrian signal was safer than not riding early.
Old 06-17-23, 06:23 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
If this went to court, I think the cyclist could argue that riding during the pedestrian signal was safer than not riding early.
Courts don't decide based on safety, they decide based on law (or their interpretation thereof). I wouldn't see this argument helping much.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 06-17-23, 06:40 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
a new law in california makes this legal, and it is definitely illegal in the meantime. hopefully other states follow suit!

looking at mass law, unfortunately it looks like the officer in this case was right.
Old 06-17-23, 07:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
Courts don't decide based on safety, they decide based on law (or their interpretation thereof). I wouldn't see this argument helping much.
You're probably right. A bunch of laws are written to protect individuals. Yet, the entire legal system uses shockingly little judgement in whether their application of the laws is actually improving safety to the individuals involved.

A jury has some discretion as to the application of the laws, but the system has made themselves so busy prosecuting petty crimes that they don't have time to seat a jury.
Old 06-17-23, 07:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
NYC changed the green light timing at a lot of intersections so that the walk sign triggers 7 seconds before the green for cars. Lets the pedestrians get well into the intersection when the cars get to go, hopefully they see that there are pedestrians in the crosswalk. Such and easy change to implement,
Old 06-19-23, 08:56 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
If the cyclist was in the bike lane, then he was a road user, and should respond to traffic lights.
The OP was in a bike lane.
Old 06-20-23, 08:44 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I think the OP was describing a scattered intersection when he stated "for all crossings."

In Toronto, we have one major intersection at Yonge St and Bloor that is a scattered intersection. At one phase, red lights are on for all car traffic going n-s and e-w while pedestrians can cross even diagonally from nw to se.

If on my bike I want to utilize this phase, I get off my bike and walk it. Once I was lazy and remained on my bike as I used my foot to push off the road. I was a little too fast and almost ran into someone.

So from then on whenever I want to use the walk signal, I get off and walk the bike. If I want to stay on and ride, I wait for the green light.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 06-20-23, 11:07 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Oregon traffic code is on-line and anybody can access it. But that is the state. Local laws may apply and may or may not be available on-line.

There are traffic laws I break fairly often quite intentionally. And I may come before a judge someday. Running lights at dangerous intersections when no cars are coming. One intersection I take a left at from the left only lane. There is a bike symbol to trigger the light that usually but not always works (with my steel and ti bikes). Parked over that symbol I've had trucks going through on their green miss me by 24". I would much, much rather be 20 yards beyond the intersection and risking a traffic stop than be on that symbol at that moment. And I'd tell a judge that he may have to impose whatever penalty on me but I chose the course that gave me the best chance of living (in line with operating my bike as a vehicle, not getting off and walking). I could also point out to a judge I've been hit by cars in intersections while operating completely legally but never when I was illegally in an empty intersection.
Old 06-21-23, 09:40 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Oregon traffic code is on-line and anybody can access it. But that is the state. Local laws may apply and may or may not be available on-line.
Local jurisdictions don't make laws about red lights or crosswalks. Think about the mayhem that would result from local differences for basic laws.

There are traffic laws I break fairly often quite intentionally.
The important thing is to be clear about what the law actually says. That way, you aren't fooling yourself if you choose to break a law.

The "impression" the OP had about the law was wrong. If he was clear about the actual law, he probably wouldn't have chosen to break it right in front of a cop.

And I may come before a judge someday.
The best practice is probably to avoid getting in front of a judge in the first place (being somewhat "pessimistic" about what the law allows might be helpful for that). After the fact (being in front of a judge), any argument you think will work is fair game. The problem is that there are people (not you) who think the goofy arguments they plan to trot out before a judge is what the law says (which means they are fooling themselves).

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-21-23 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-22-23, 08:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Mann,I better figure out how to get my legs to propel me along at 45+ MPH so I don't break vehicle enforced laws.
When you are in a hole, you should not keep digging. Try thinking harder before posting to avoid the type of situation you are in now.
Old 06-22-23, 08:59 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When you are in a hole, you should not keep digging. Try thinking harder before posting to avoid the type of situation you are in now.
holes are only bad, if its spun to appear as such.

Carry on.
Old 06-22-23, 10:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Carry on.

Gotta say, if you think legal requirements in MA that cyclists obey the rules of the road while cycling on roads requires that that you need to pedal at 45+ mph, I've got some pretty bad news for you as regards to about 49 other states, give or take one or two. And no, MA isn't an Idaho stop state yet.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-22-23, 10:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts

Carry on.
And you keep digging. Your wheelchair analogy was dumb, to put it generously.
Old 06-22-23, 02:32 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
And you keep digging. Your wheelchair analogy was dumb, to put it generously.
i try to limit my sugar intake, sugar coatings included.
I'll be sure to pass along my report card to my peers after the grades come in.
Old 06-22-23, 02:34 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Gotta say, if you think legal requirements in MA that cyclists obey the rules of the road while cycling on roads requires that that you need to pedal at 45+ mph, I've got some pretty bad news for you as regards to about 49 other states, give or take one or two. And no, MA isn't an Idaho stop state yet.
hey, if you cant maintain 45 mph in a 45 MPH zone, that's a ticket. Black & white. Pedaling or motoring.
Old 06-22-23, 04:11 PM
njkayaker

hey, if you cant maintain 45 mph in a 45 MPH zone, that's a ticket. Black & white. Pedaling or motoring.
How do you manage to keep coming up with such nonsense?

It's a maximum speed limit. In the few places (pretty-much only highways) where there is an actual minimum required speed, it's less than the maximum speed limit.

Cyclists routinely ride on roads where they can't go as fast as the maximum speed limit. And here you are saying they all get tickets.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-22-23 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-22-23, 05:42 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
I found Troul's blurb about the wheelchair a little funny.
Tongue-in-cheek, at first. He could've left it as that.
I guess his reputation precedes him around these parts.

Over the past ten years, law enforcement handed me two tickets for failing to fully stop at a four-way.
I plan to make a run for it next time! lol
Old 06-22-23, 06:51 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Getting back to OP's issue, my state law seems a little vague about bike in a ped cross-walk. The default is that bikes can use sidewalks max 10 mph but doesn't address the crosswalk, except that it does say bike must obey no u-turn sign except can use a crosswalk if they walk the bike. I admit to sometimes making a left turn with a red light facing me, and jumping on the cross street crosswalk and then sidewalk rather than wait for a green arrow (which often I don't get unless a car shows up to trip the sensor). But don't really recommend as cars on the cross street making a right (across the crosswalk) aren't really looking for a bike to suddenly appear there. Also note in my state "crosswalk" can be marked or unmarked, in which case it is more or less extension of sidewalk at an intersection (and also sidewalk is not required to be paved in any way).

scott s.
Old 06-22-23, 08:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,534 Times in 3,032 Posts
Here if you have 11 items in the 10 items or less line at the grocery store you get a citation. So yes you ran a red light.
Old 06-22-23, 08:36 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by OMEN!
Hi all,

I had asked in the Northeast threads and was told I may find better answers here. Sorry, if this is regional/city specific - I've put a link to the MA law below if it's helpful.

I was in Somerville, Massachusetts with a foot down waiting at a red light. The Walk sign came on for all crossings. After waiting for all the pedestrians to cross, I rode through the intersection, in the painted bike lane, in the remaining seconds before being pulled over on the other side. The officer issued me a written warning for "running a red light" and cited Massachusetts Ch. 85:11b. I was under the impression that after yielding to all pedestrians I was allowed to ride through. I explained this to the officer and he said I needed to dismount and walk my bicycle, if I wish to cross during the Walk signal. I can't find anything that says I need to dismount though. The officer was nice about it all, but I would like to have some clarification for the future. Thanks!

Massachusetts Chapter 85:11B
There isn't anything saying you need to dismount, in the linked MGL code, or any associated MGL code. Also, It is not up to the discretion of the officer.
Old 06-23-23, 05:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by scott967
Getting back to OP's issue, my state law seems a little vague about bike in a ped cross-walk. The default is that bikes can use sidewalks max 10 mph but doesn't address the crosswalk, except that it does say bike must obey no u-turn sign except can use a crosswalk if they walk the bike. I admit to sometimes making a left turn with a red light facing me, and jumping on the cross street crosswalk and then sidewalk rather than wait for a green arrow (which often I don't get unless a car shows up to trip the sensor). But don't really recommend as cars on the cross street making a right (across the crosswalk) aren't really looking for a bike to suddenly appear there. Also note in my state "crosswalk" can be marked or unmarked, in which case it is more or less extension of sidewalk at an intersection (and also sidewalk is not required to be paved in any way).

scott s.

OP wasn't riding in the crosswalk, but was crossing it in the bike lane.
Old 06-23-23, 05:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Chistophe516
There isn't anything saying you need to dismount, in the linked MGL code, or any associated MGL code. Also, It is not up to the discretion of the officer.
Wrong. What the officer was claiming is that riding a bicycle is operating a bicycle while walking it is not. The statute says that if you're operating on a road, you are "subject to the traffic laws and regulations of the commonwealth" which require obedience to the red light. And yes, the cop has complete discretion on what he does or doesn't issue warnings for.
Old 06-23-23, 05:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

On every road I ride, there's posted speed limits, not minimums. I've never seen an unrestricted road in MA that has a posted minimum speed. As far as I know, every other state that has a law that says bicyclists are subject to traffic laws always has an "except as to those provisions which by their nature can have no application" type provision. A 45 mph minimum would obviously be such a "no application" provision Obviously, the legislatures have anticipated this " black and white" absurdity

First the wheelchairs now the minimum speed requirements, all you're demonstrating here is that you like to argue from ignorance of the actual laws.
Old 06-23-23, 07:13 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
On every road I ride, there's posted speed limits, not minimums. I've never seen an unrestricted road in MA that has a posted minimum speed. As far as I know, every other state that has a law that says bicyclists are subject to traffic laws always has an "except as to those provisions which by their nature can have no application" type provision. A 45 mph minimum would obviously be such a "no application" provision Obviously, the legislatures have anticipated this " black and white" absurdity

First the wheelchairs now the minimum speed requirements, all you're demonstrating here is that you like to argue from ignorance of the actual laws.
Can't help but to read the posted signs MPH min/max limitations. Wouldn't want to be ticketed for impeding traffic.

You say argue, I say communicate.
Old 06-23-23, 08:54 AM
njkayaker

Can't help but to read the posted signs MPH min/max limitations.
???

Minimum speed signs are not common at all and likely next-to-nonexistent on roads that are legal to bicycle on. (They appear to be signs on highways.)

Wouldn't want to be ticketed for impeding traffic.
In Michigan, the "impeding traffic" law only applies to motor vehicles (which doesn't include bicycles). This is generally the case in other states too. Bicyclists "holding up traffic" could possibly be subject to the "keep right" law (that most states have). But not the "impeding traffic" las.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/regulati...y%20with%20law.

(1) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or to comply with law.
====================
You say argue, I say communicate.
The problem is that you are wrong.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-23-23 at 09:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.