Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Too Old to FTP?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Too Old to FTP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 05:27 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I never cared about FTP or watts even when I was a lot younger. Those things are irrelevant and unimportant.
I am imagining a conversation between FTP and Watts and they would probably say wolfchild was irrelevant and unimportant...and never really cared about wolfchild........
Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-08-23, 06:02 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 447 Posts
So, not Fresno To Portland, then!
Old 12-08-23, 09:34 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I agree and I don't track any of my riding or have any kind of computers on my bike. I'm 49.
That being said, tracking watts is the cyclist's equivalent of a musician's metronome - it keeps you honest.
I don't have a computer on my bikes nor do I track any data. I'm 69.
I do try and understand the science and nuance of the sport/hobby, though. I wouldn't say something is irrelevant just because I don't use it. I think it's interesting to learn about how others are using technology.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-08-23, 10:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I never cared about FTP or watts even when I was a lot younger. Those things are irrelevant and unimportant.
I thought I already had you covered: 2. There are many who could care less about it - and I don’t blame them

Thank you for your totally worthwhile contribution. Maybe you can boost your post count replying to this too.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-09-23, 01:01 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon c.
I can spell it. But I had to google it to find a meaning other than file transfer protocol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker395
Well …. You guys had me looking up “FTP.” To me, that’s always meant “file transfer protocol.”

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Showing our age? But I thought file transfer protocol was lower-case ftp.
no love for SFTP - secure ftp ?

or NDM - network data mover (?)
Old 12-09-23, 09:38 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
I am a very bad judge of my performance. Having a computer on my bike that records various metrics really helps. I don't use these metrics for anything other than benchmarking my performance. After a couple of winter months of not being that active I can gauge where I stand as of last year when I start back up. Not comparing myself to anyone else, just for personal information purposes.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 12-09-23, 07:26 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I like riding with a power meter. I mostly use it after the ride, just looking at the stats. During the ride, it's great for pacing a hill climb, and quite helpful for setting a steady pace on the flats. And for picking up the pace when I'm slacking off. My original 4iiiii left crank power meter died during Covid, 4 months out of warranty. The company blew me off, no discount or any remedy. I liked having the power data during a ride, enough to start again with a Stages, which works better and hasn't failed.

There's no way I could actually hold the FTP for a real hour that is calculated from my riding or from the Zwift ramp test. And the Garmin Edge estimated FTP is way higher than that.

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-09-23 at 07:30 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 12-09-23, 07:28 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I am a very bad judge of my performance. Having a computer on my bike that records various metrics really helps. I don't use these metrics for anything other than benchmarking my performance. After a couple of winter months of not being that active I can gauge where I stand as of last year when I start back up. Not comparing myself to anyone else, just for personal information purposes.
Yes, a couple of years ago, my spring rides were feeling slow, really slow. Am I too old for this? What happened to me?
So I compared with 2 previous years on the free Golden Cheetah power meter analysis software. Nope, those years were quite similar, and by late spring, things felt normal again.
Old 12-09-23, 08:40 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
I always thought measuring your maximal effort over 1 hour = FTP. And best done on a trainer, rather than open road. The 20 minute shortcut technique only invites over-exertion. The two tests - 1 hour or 20 min with assumed (?) calculations - may not yield the same results in many individuals; especially, I assume, in the 50+ category.

It has been a couple of years, but at 70 I did the 1 hour test on my daughter's stationary set-up, for a lifetime first. Went somewhat easy the 1st 20m, then harder the 2nd 20m, then variable based on what the cardio&muscles had left the last 20. I should measure again. If she gets all the clothes off her indoor trainer.

Agree that any abnormal chest pain or irregular heartbeat after exertion should be closely monitored over time. Commercial devices now exist for such purpose.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-09-23 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-09-23, 08:53 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I agree and I don't track any of my riding or have any kind of computers on my bike. I'm 49.
That being said, tracking watts is the cyclist's equivalent of a musician's metronome - it keeps you honest.
Originally Posted by big john
I don't have a computer on my bikes nor do I track any data. I'm 69.
I do try and understand the science and nuance of the sport/hobby, though. I wouldn't say something is irrelevant just because I don't use it. I think it's interesting to learn about how others are using technology.
Proponents of: Keep your handlebars clean and your mind will follow.
Old 12-11-23, 09:54 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
You might want to put some hands on those bars...
Old 12-11-23, 04:34 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by pdlamb
You might want to put some hands on those bars...
I have freed my mind. And it guides me true.

It was also an empty road with a windless day on a balanced bike (free of unbalanced non-essential aero drag gadgetry), nicely rolling on flatish road, tightly clipped. No biggie. I often forego a helmet, too.

But, in successful execution hindsight - the only relevant question would be = "Artistically speaking, did you like the pic?"

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-11-23 at 04:39 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 12-11-23, 09:38 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I keep a bell on the stem. On road bars, the tops need to be clear all the way to the stem. That is the optimal place to grip when doing high effort, seated climbs. Also why I will always prefer vintage handlebars with 25.4mm clamp area (no bulge). YMMV.

Otto
Old 12-11-23, 09:50 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Is FTP the same or similar to OPP? I might be down with that.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-12-23, 05:22 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I keep a bell on the stem. On road bars, the tops need to be clear all the way to the stem. That is the optimal place to grip when doing high effort, seated climbs. Also why I will always prefer vintage handlebars with 25.4mm clamp area (no bulge). YMMV.

Otto
On a side note, I wonder how people reconcile the belief that narrower bars constrict breathing with the belief (or fact) that gripping the bars by the stem is the optimal position for high-effort climbs.
Old 12-12-23, 07:36 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
On a side note, I wonder how people reconcile the belief that narrower bars constrict breathing with the belief (or fact) that gripping the bars by the stem is the optimal position for high-effort climbs.
In my case, the narrow bars will push the elbows out slightly and help with breathing. Wider bars will move the elbows in and lock the arms to the chest, restricting the breathing, especially in the drops. There's only so much room in that rectangular block/space between the ST/TT junction and the TT/HT junction. Bodies are different so the fits are different. For instance, you stated in the jersey thread that you're 5'8" and under 120lbs. I'm 5'8" and weighed 197lbs this morning. Maybe could shed 15lbs of fat. Each of our fit requirements are totally different.
BTW, what's this climbing you speak of? I only climb if I have to. It's the slowest part of any ride while you are actually moving.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-12-23, 07:43 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
It was only recently that I learned that narrow bars are more comfortable for me. I had always heard that bar width should match acromion width, which is 50cm for me. I don’t know about the effect of bar width on breathing, I just know the narrow bars feel better in terms of bearing weight on my hands.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 12-12-23, 08:26 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
IMO all data can be useful but the variables skew the data and that has to be kept in consideration when evaluating.
I'm 68 and currently don't do any structured FTP tests though my FTP has gone up and I've achieved new FTP's data during some Zwift races/events this off season.
Like all data, your body's input may change it due to illness, fatigue, etc. and has to be taken into consideration when using this data for fitness tracking/improvement, etc.
I think they are useful tools but you have to understand the data, its' source, etc. in order to use it to improve, etc.
Old 12-13-23, 12:55 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
While FTP has no use for me in road riding, I ride however I feel, sometimes hard, sometimes not, it is useful when using any of the training apps. You need something to measure yourself against. Also, the way most of the structured workouts work is that the intervals are relative to your FTP so that a strong person gets the same benefit as a weaker rider. It doesn't have to be measured with a test though, I've done the test a few times myself, but Zwift will recalibrate your FTP as you ride.

Back a few years ago I did the test and my FTP was 192, then Zwift upped it to around 210 when I decided I was going to pass every other rider in simulated Central Park, something I can't do in real life. Today, at 68, I just figure my FTP dropped 50 points since I didn't ride much these last few years. I started up Zwift again and just lowered it to what I felt comfortable with. If it feels too low on a structured workout I'll raise it. If there is an orange bar it should feel a little uncomfortable, a red one should be killer. I'm only measuring against myself not others. If I were racing in Zwift though you need to know as you get placed that way. Overall though I still use the data to measure against myself. My average watt/hrs have been steadily going up and I feel it too.

And if you are feeling any twinges in your chest, just stop. And don't get back on the next day because you feel better. Get checked out. But when they ask me if I'm ever short of breath my answer has so far always been, only on the uphills when I'm pushing hard.
Likes For zacster:
Old 12-13-23, 01:06 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
It doesn't have to be measured with a test though, I've done the test a few times myself, but Zwift will recalibrate your FTP as you ride.

And if you are feeling any twinges in your chest, just stop. And don't get back on the next day because you feel better. Get checked out. But when they ask me if I'm ever short of breath my answer has so far always been, only on the uphills when I'm pushing hard.
I'm new to Zwift and have not done any real efforts over the past month or so. Been plodding along in Z2, with one long climb that I did in Z3.

Zwift has my FTP matching what I did on that one climb - which is about 85% of my real FTP. The Zwift zFTP is only semi accurate if you are giving it the beans, really giving it the beans, on a pretty regular basis. For it to be accurate, you essentially need to do FTP test 20 min power during your ride. And it resets every so often, 90 days I think, so if you didn't get after it in the past 90 days, it will lower your zFTP accordingly.

And to the OP - chest pain = trip to the doc.
Old 12-13-23, 03:58 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
First, you said
Originally Posted by zacster
While FTP has no use for me in road riding,
Then you gave a bunch of examples of when knowing your FTP could be useful.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-14-23, 06:34 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Just ride a Cat 5 beginner novice cyclocross race. I’ve never done a true FTP test per se. But I set a new actual HR in my first race.
Old 12-14-23, 07:20 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I know this sounds crazy but if I get the twinge in my chest I quick light up a cigarette....that seems to help a bit. hardest part is getting one lit while rolling along at 20mph...somebody needs to figure out how to adapt a car style cigarette lighter to the stem. probably make a fortune. any patent lawyers out there?
Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-14-23, 11:24 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I know this sounds crazy but if I get the twinge in my chest I quick light up a cigarette....that seems to help a bit. hardest part is getting one lit while rolling along at 20mph...somebody needs to figure out how to adapt a car style cigarette lighter to the stem. probably make a fortune. any patent lawyers out there?
Likes For big john:
Old 12-14-23, 11:28 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
First, you said Then you gave a bunch of examples of when knowing your FTP could be useful.
Exactly what I said. It has NO use for me in road riding. When I'm outdoors I ride the way I feel. When I'm indoors on the trainer it is necessary to make the Zwift and the others work in ERG mode, otherwise it doesn't know where to set it. And for Zwift racing it is used as a placement metric. It doesn't matter indoors in free riding mode, which is like outdoors, you ride the way you feel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.