Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Touring Bike with Modern Components - Will it Work?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Touring Bike with Modern Components - Will it Work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-21, 06:57 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts

For me, this type of project worked out very well. The bike is a 1981 Meral. I swapped the old drivetrain for a more modern one but retained everything else. The old racks are great. There is also a set of front low rider racks. Bicycle camping/touring largely disappeared by the early 90’s and has only recently been rediscovered. The whole challenge of carrying equipment on a bicycle had been figured out, but it was largely forgotten and became a body of knowledge that was lost to civilization like a functioning quick release skewer or the space shuttle. Of course it has been reinvented, but many of the bag designs are stupid. For this reason I think it is a great idea to find a nice old touring bike and replace what you need to to feel comfortable using it.
Likes For El Chaba:
Old 12-09-21, 07:45 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Jor54
I'm in the same position as the OP. I have a 1990 Trek 750 that I would like to use to do some long distance touring. This bike has 32 spoke wheels and I'm definitely going to upgrade the real wheel to a strong 36 spoke wheel. Do you think it would be ok to leave the original 32 spoke wheel in the front? I weight about 240 lb and I am planing to use 2 panniers in the front and 2 in the back, although I don't know how much gear I will be carrying yet, since this is the first time I will be doing this.
Your answers are greatly appreciated.
For long distance touring with a full load, I don't think 32 is a high enough spoke count even with a lightweight rider. I would switch both to 36.
Likes For davester:
Old 12-10-21, 09:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by El Chaba
Bicycle camping/touring largely disappeared by the early 90’s and has only recently been rediscovered. The whole challenge of carrying equipment on a bicycle had been figured out, but it was largely forgotten and became a body of knowledge that was lost to civilization like a functioning quick release skewer or the space shuttle. Of course it has been reinvented, but many of the bag designs are stupid.
Cool bike, nice details. The narrative above is...curious.
Old 12-10-21, 10:38 AM
Jor54

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Personally I'd go 36 front and back with panniers front and back. The bike is an excellent choice if it fits. I typically carry most of my weight up front since my butt is hard enough on the back wheel.
Originally Posted by davester
For long distance touring with a full load, I don't think 32 is a high enough spoke count even with a lightweight rider. I would switch both to 36.
Thank you for your answers. I have ordered a set of 36 spoke wheels.

Last edited by Jor54; 12-10-21 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to inculde quotes
Likes For Jor54:
Old 12-10-21, 10:49 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by Jor54
Thank you for your answers. I have ordered a set of 36 spoke wheels.
Your going to have a wonderful trip.
Old 12-15-21, 12:54 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Smart lad. Frankly I'd add even more spokes since you're getting a new one but 36 is fine.
I'd echo the comment about finding a good old classic and make the modifications you need or want. As one that started with a 15 speed half step plus granny set up I believe as long as your top and bottom range make you happy then you'll be fine. I started forgetting about half steps with 18 gears and didn't miss them with a 21 speed.
Going to 8 or 9 speed cassettes seem unnecessary to me but make it whatever your comfortable with... Double pivot brakes would be a nice addition. Personally I'm fine with center pulls but I have one with Shimano 600's that I love. I'm also fine with 27" wheels and see no reason to change. There are more tire choices but the cranks are closer to the ground, the brakes are probably going to lose some minor effectivness. The bike was designed for a particular wheel size after all. I like aero levers. They remove the clutter and give better leverage.
. After that there's not much new in carrying all your necessary stuff all over the place by bicycle. A comfortable saddle and bar, whatever that means to you, and sturdy, stable attachments for your stuff and a good fit finishes the list.
Love to see classic steel out there.
Likes For Cycle Tourist: