Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Early 80's Peugeot?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Early 80's Peugeot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-20, 12:15 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Early 80's Peugeot?

Can anybody date this and give me a model? The only sticker is Carbolite 103. I'm also curious if the rear dropouts were 120 or 126mm. I'm converting to a 12-speed and the RD is having trouble covering the entire 6 cogs of the freewheel. I can tweak the cable to hit cogs 1-5 or 2-6. Frustrating! I installed Mafac "Racer" calipers initially to convert to 700c fixie wheels. I got this as a frame and have been running it as a single speed for a decade or more.

Last edited by sunburst; 05-31-20 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-31-20, 05:45 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Based on the combination of graphics, down tube cable stops for stem shifters and a dropout with an integral cable hanger, I believe this to be a 1983 Peugeot PH10S. The serial number will provide corroboration on the year. This model was marketed as 12 speed, so I'd expect 126mm dropout spacing.
Old 05-31-20, 11:37 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Thx T-Mar!
Old 06-11-20, 10:28 AM
sunburst

converted back to a 12-speed last week and sold. I've build 4-5 bikes during this lockdown, and sold 2. All but one have been French. Acquired another Peugeot bike and Motobecane frame yesterday. This "thinning my fleet" is going in the wrong direction.

Old 07-08-22, 08:01 PM
ridey b
Ridey b

Location: Toronto and spend winter mostly in South Coast Jamaica

Bikes: Bridgestone XO4, Raleigh supercourse, Tourist, twenty,dl1,Dahon California, Jack Taylor tandem, to mention afew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
T-Mar knows everything

I was given what I now realize is a Peugeot PH 10S s# Y506 17330. I wanted to post pics , however I was unable although I have posted pics in the past.
Pls help, thanx
Old 07-11-22, 11:58 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Early Peugeot??

I just got this home and am starting my research. I haven't turned a bolt yet. It looks like some alterations include the Superbe brakes, the MA-40 front wheel and the pedals of course. The front badge is gone unfortunately. The Campy cranks and forged dropouts put it above the UO bikes I'm accustomed to finding. The BB has a four digit number stamped in. Anyone want to weigh in on model and year?

Old 07-11-22, 04:15 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by ridey b
I was given what I now realize is a Peugeot PH 10S s# Y506 17330. I wanted to post pics , however I was unable although I have posted pics in the past.
Pls help, thanx
The serial number indicates that your frame was manufactured during June of what is alomst certianly 1985, at Peugeot's Romilly facility. Unfortunately, Peugeot did not code model information into their serial numbers and the only photos in your gallery album are from 2 and 3 years ago.
Old 07-11-22, 04:20 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
I just got this home and am starting my research. I haven't turned a bolt yet. It looks like some alterations include the Superbe brakes, the MA-40 front wheel and the pedals of course. The front badge is gone unfortunately. The Campy cranks and forged dropouts put it above the UO bikes I'm accustomed to finding. The BB has a four digit number stamped in. Anyone want to weigh in on model and year?
It has been almost totally rebuilt but the frame appears to be that of a boom era PR10.
Old 07-11-22, 06:52 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It has been almost totally rebuilt but the frame appears to be that of a boom era PR10.
Thanks "T". I was hoping you'd chime in. It came apart pretty easily. I thought PX but something seemed off. I have some old Mafac racers but since it's so rebuilt anyway I think I'll keep the superbe's. It took me a second to realize the gear side cup was not reverse threaded. '82 PR-10 huh? Thanks again!!

Last edited by Cycle Tourist; 07-18-22 at 12:09 AM.