Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

$5 yard-sale Schwinn ride today.....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

$5 yard-sale Schwinn ride today.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-23, 09:52 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Wow, the fastest kid in the neighborhood! A lot of people have trouble dealing with that much early success.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-09-23, 07:05 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
. When I was 10(ish), it was stolen outside a bowling alley. I was heart-broken. (Pic is from the internet, not my actual bike)
EDIT: This also reminds me how much I miss my dad. Among other things, I got his passion for bikes. He got to see me race MTBs in the early ‘90s, but passed before he got to see me win on the road.
That is rough. I lived out in the sticks so there were no bicycle thieves or much of anything else going on. I think there are a few remnants of my old 20-incher back in a junk pile on the family property. My brother has been cleaning it up though so not sure, will have to take a look, but when I looked at it a few years ago it was mostly a pile of iron oxide.

Thank-you for sharing your 20-inch memories. Before I had the "muscle" style bike, in the mid-60s I had this hand-me-down from the grandparents to ride. I have an 8mm movie of me riding it that my father shot back then;

Likes For beng1:
Old 05-09-23, 08:34 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I've never understood the desire to have lots of cheap nasty things instead of one or two really good things.
Agree.
Old 05-10-23, 05:43 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
1974 or ‘75, my dad bought me this frame (built by BMX pioneers, Littlejohn/Murphy), and 2 sets of wheels (spoked, not mags) - a steel-rimmed set for banging around the neighborhood, and an aluminum-rimmed set for racing. The steel
set was 3 lbs heavier…I did not like that at all. My dad took me out to the local BMX track a few times, and I raced, but was pretty mediocre at it. I loved this bike for many years, and on summer afternoons with my friends, it took me to places farther away than my mom ever knew. When I was 10(ish), it was stolen outside a bowling alley. I was heart-broken. (Pic is from the internet, not my actual bike)
85/86' I upgraded my Schwinn Phantom Scrambler - a heavy, clunker of a BMX bike - to a fully customized Skyway TA, decked out with all of the freestyle bells and whistles.

The bike was a work of art. As a 12 year old, I worked my ass off on as a mate on a fishing boat to pay for it.

Some moron, a moron that I knew stole it, but couldn't prove it - stole it from me.

Those bikes are selling for a nice chunk of change right now.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 05-10-23, 07:06 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Looks like this thread self-moderated fairly well. Closing for review.

EDIT: deleted the inappropriate post and did some cleanup. lets leave it behind please.

Last edited by TMonk; 05-10-23 at 08:10 AM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-10-23, 09:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Me in the early 70s. I used to ride this 20-incher before I got a 10-speed Columbia road-bike. I was the fastest in the neighborhood because I could grab the curve of the bar and pull up while I was pushing down on the pedal. The bike had long cranks and high gearing and would really haul. We used to jump over home-made ramps and whatever natural ramps the landscape offered. I broke the frame landing and my old man had to braze it back together. I got a knobby rear tire for it so it would go on dirt very well. We made race tracks in fields and in the woods and had a blast. This was before they were selling "BMX" bikes like the one above.

I have great memories of riding my Stingray and I've thought about riding a BMX just to see how it feels, but I can tell just by looking at them that it just wouldn't suit my 62 y.o. body, and I'd rather not pollute the nostalgia by association.

Mine got stolen, btw.

If you have fun riding the BMX, good on ya'!
Old 05-10-23, 11:46 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I buy cheap bikes at yard sales all the time. If I can get them rideable without a lot of investment. I fix them up donate them to a church that gets them in the hands of a kid that other wise wouldn't have a bike
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 05-10-23, 03:36 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
There is a very nice BMX track a stone's throw from my Girlfriend's house, so I went out and got a BMX bike.

Tooled around a little, then hit the track full steam. I ate it bad. At 53 years old, I just lay there silently in my pain, as kids whooshed on by.

I used to be pretty darn good on BMX tracks in the mid 1980's.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 05-10-23 at 04:23 PM.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 05-10-23, 06:11 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
There is a very nice BMX track a stone's throw from my Girlfriend's house, so I went out and got a BMX bike.

Tooled around a little, then hit the track full steam. I ate it bad. At 53 years old, I just lay there silently in my pain, as kids whooshed on by.

My son has a new Redline flatland BMX bike.

A few of us were sitting in the back yard, sipping some adult beverages, and decided that we could still do some jumps. We have a small track in the back yard… results were predictable.

I used to knock around on 1/4 pipes and could rock walk all the way down my front street… couldn’t navigate a small backyard jump.

We did have good races riding backwards on the handlebars, until my neighbor Rob almost fell into the fire.

Last edited by Jughed; 05-10-23 at 06:15 PM.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 05-10-23, 07:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat

I used to be pretty darn good at a lot of things in the mid 1980s.
Old 05-10-23, 10:36 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I never see adults riding BMX bikes.
Come to Tokyo, you’ll see it all the time. I saw a grown man riding a “Pea-Picker” today.
Old 05-13-23, 04:20 AM
beng1
Banned

Found a better seat in my junk-box. Will keep an eye out at local second-hand venues, dumpsters and trash-piles for a matching set of wheels and maybe a v-brake. There is nothing wrong with the hand-brake pivot that was on the handlebars, just needs a lever, so will try to find one to fit or that can be made to fit it.

Old 05-13-23, 07:42 AM
RoadWearier

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I've never understood the desire to have lots of cheap nasty things instead of one or two really good things.
I never understood why someone likes to piss on someone else's parade.

Great find man! Fixing up old things can be very satisfying and it's one less bike in a landfill!
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 05-14-23, 03:54 AM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Great find man! Fixing up old things can be very satisfying and it's one less bike in a landfill!
Right, I have always been conscious of the environment, and the longer you can use any manufactured item the less of them Wall-Street tears out of Mother Earth. In the last week on a ride I found a pair of blue-jeans in my size on the curb someone put out for trash and put them in my messenger bag. They only had one torn belt-loop, an easy fix.
Old 05-14-23, 09:53 AM
tomato coupe

In the last week on a ride I found a pair of blue-jeans in my size on the curb someone put out for trash and put them in my messenger bag. They only had one torn belt-loop, an easy fix.
I thought it was a raccoon that was digging through our trash.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-14-23, 10:28 AM
Billydog

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Nice..
Old 05-15-23, 07:37 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Wow, the fastest kid in the neighborhood! A lot of people have trouble dealing with that much early success.
Better than dealing with much early failure. I always had the fastest bicycle, motorcycle, car, women. At least until the damned digital age came along and gave stupid people electronic brains to make up for their genetic shortcoming, they are the ones you see walking around with "smart" phones" on their way home from the Wizard of Oz (Steve Jobs).....
Old 05-15-23, 09:23 PM
tomato coupe

Better than dealing with much early failure. I always had the fastest bicycle, motorcycle, car, women. At least until the damned digital age came along and gave stupid people electronic brains to make up for their genetic shortcoming, they are the ones you see walking around with "smart" phones" on their way home from the Wizard of Oz (Steve Jobs).....
So, you had the fastest bicycle until people got smart phones? Sure thing bro.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-15-23, 09:53 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
You always found those things in dumps?
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 05-15-23, 11:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
A smart phone does not make a bicycle (or any of those other things) faster. A smart phone also does not make people smarter.

It’s unfortunate that you have struggled to understand and implement modern electronic technology in your life. I know it can be a challenge for some people. In my experience, those folks are most often in the 80+ age group. I know some who have learned and adapted pretty well, and others who have not. It’s not uncommon for those who struggle to resort to ignorant insults and/or claims about why living without is superior.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 05-16-23, 05:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So, you had the fastest bicycle until people got smart phones? Sure thing bro.
That will definitely be the most nonsensical thing I will read on BF this week, and that’s saying a lot.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-16-23, 05:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,447 Times in 2,769 Posts
I always had the fastest bicycle, motorcycle, car, women .....
So what caused the 180 in your life, took it all away? Surely we can all agree the development of smart phones is unrelated.
Old 05-16-23, 05:58 AM
beng1
Banned

A smart phone does not make a bicycle (or any of those other things) faster. A smart phone also does not make people smarter.It’s unfortunate that you have struggled to understand and implement modern electronic technology in your life. I know it can be a challenge for some people. In my experience, those folks are most often in the 80+ age group. I know some who have learned and adapted pretty well, and others who have not. It’s not uncommon for those who struggle to resort to ignorant insults and/or claims about why living without is superior.
I don't struggle to understand anything at all. It is those who blindly accept whatever is marketed to them without any critical or independent thinking that do not understand anything. Just like it is those who need computers and "smart" phones to get through a day are those who will struggle without those crutches. I used to have a business building and repairing computers, and I run Linux OS and have even recompiled operating systems to customize them. It is just that I actually understand what digital technology really is being used for by wealth and power, so I willfully choose to not participate in certain aspects of it. You and your ilk on the other hand, those generations raised by digital tech, are incapable of living without it, and you never will be.
Old 05-16-23, 05:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Here in a nutshell is why you're so disliked on this forum. No matter what the topic, you will somehow find a way to proclaim that pretty much everyone but you is stupid.

This particular rationale (everything after "At least until...") for the generalized insult is especially stupid in itself, and demonstrates only your arrogant incompetence.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-16-23, 06:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I don't struggle to understand anything at all. It is those who blindly accept whatever is marketed to them without any critical or independent thinking that do not understand anything. Just like it is those who need computers and "smart" phones to get through a day are those who will struggle without those crutches. I used to have a business building and repairing computers, and I run Linux OS and have even recompiled operating systems to customize them. It is just that I actually understand what digital technology really is being used for by wealth and power, so I willfully choose to not participate in certain aspects of it. You and your ilk on the other hand, those generations raised by digital tech, are incapable of living without it, and you never will be.

So you're still bitter because your business failed. Got it.

"You and your ilk on the other hand, those generations raised by digital tech, are incapable of living without it, and you never will be."

Huh? We will never be incapable of living without it? Nothing funnier than an old guy committing a basic syntax error while bashing the intelligence of younger people. And I say that as an old guy.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-16-23 at 06:44 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.