Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone else tired of the word "Epic"?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 11:24 AM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Figured that I would ask here, where the interesting opinions are. Not really c&v, but what the heck.

The other day, outside the local bike shop that rents MTB's and caters to the sram red crowd, the owner was describing the local trails as Epic.

They are not bad trails, certainly not fisher price my first rock garden, but when I quiped that "yes, when you finish and get home there are a bunch of guys staying at your place eating your food and trying to marry your wife", no one got it.

I have just heard it a lot over the last few years, describing bike tours, trails, rivers, and even a local sporting event. There have certainly been some epic bike trips, Fred Birchmore and Annie Londonderry are the first low hanging bicycle fruit I can think of, but where would you draw the line on calling something epic?

Not losing sleep over it, but still curious.
Old 08-13-12, 11:31 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
....And I thought this was just another CF C&V bike bashing thread........

Chombi
Old 08-13-12, 11:34 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I think it's irritating as all get out actually. If no one is going to write about it, read about it or care about it in 100 years, it isn't "epic". That word seems to have become popular because of online reviews and poor writers trying to pretend that they're critics. The other word that really annoys me is "fail", especially combined with epic (epic fail). No, the mistake a waiter makes is not an epic fail. The stock market crash of 1939 is an "epic fail". To me it's pretentious, silly and pompous. Your bike ride isn't epic. Nothing that happens to you is ever likely to qualify as epic. 10 people clicking like on facebook isn't epic.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 08-13-12, 11:35 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Epically tired of it.
Old 08-13-12, 11:36 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by fender1
Epically tired of it.
That was an epic post
Old 08-13-12, 11:38 AM
shipwreck

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
....And I thought this was just another CF C&V bike bashing thread........

Chombi
Ha! did not see that coming. Is the title an "epic fail" then?
Old 08-13-12, 11:40 AM
Creme Brulee

Bikes: koga miyata road gentleman, raleigh crested butte, raleigh comp 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there are a lot of words that because of... whatever, the internet? seem to have lost all real meaning..
Old 08-13-12, 11:44 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Creme Brulee
there are a lot of words that because of... whatever, the internet? seem to have lost all real meaning..
This one bugs me more than most because I think it gets to the self centered, delusional importance we ascribe to our own mundane lives in the beehive society. We post where we eat dinner publicly on facebook and twitter, as if anyone would, or should care. We write commentary on blogs, as though we're qualified journalists or learned students of whatever non-sense our blog is about. People write reviews on Yelp about food they know squat about. We have a deluded sense of self worth.

Now our bike rides are EPIC and the cashier giving us the wrong change is an EPIC FAIL worthy of a twitter post!

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 08-13-12 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 11:48 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Ha! did not see that coming. Is the title an "epic fail" then?
You can use the word "Fail",...........but certainly not "Asplode" in this case......

Chombi
Old 08-13-12, 11:53 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
"Epic" must die.

My friend had an "epic" lunch. I was expecting tales of a whole roasted camel with broiled hummingbirds flying out it's bunghole, followed by puree of spotted owl on toast made from orchid flour. Instead she just had a big sandwich that came with chips.
Old 08-13-12, 11:56 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
There are lots of those misused words. The one that struck me the other day is "hero" when referred to the shooting at the Sikh Temple. It was a tragedy without doubt and the actions of some may have been heroic like, but not at the level of a Medal of Honor recipient.
I have been guilty of over stating situations, but now am aware of it more and it is being curbed significantly to the point where it is used to be sarcastic more that trying to sell or make a point.

More often than not, exageration is more an effort of self-aggrandizement in an effort to get approval or validation.

Oh Yeah, I am really passed being sick of the term "green". It is now laughable!

Last edited by SJX426; 08-13-12 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 12:03 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
In mountain biking, there is a use of the term I do condone and that is for multi-day stage races, also known as "epics". People were probably doing "epic rides", multiday, minimal gear, super long distance, MTB rides and someone decided to turn these epics into races. I can dig it, that is why the specialized cross country 29er has the name epic as it is designed for this type of racing. I agree that the term is over used in other aspects. There are epic trails out there too, like 7 summits in rossland BC.. it is a full day high alpine all mountain/ex grind. There are a number of trails out there like this and they are referred to as epics. I am okay with this denomination as well. It is an adopted classification and I think it is an appropriate one for these particular trails.

I think people can have "epic days" that are epic for them personally. A ride they will never forget that pushed their limits and explored new physical territory that they are personally likely to remember for the rest of their life can be an epic event for that individual. I do recognize that it has become a slang term for good amount bros and that is certainly a stupefied misuse of the word.
Old 08-13-12, 12:03 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
All-time pet peeves:

"Epic"
"...totally."
"Awesome"
"F***!"
"Fail"
"The $hit"
"Dude"
"Like..."
"So, like..."
"So cool"
"Donk" - Apparently, every 1972 Chevy Impala on Craigslist - regardless of whether it has 22" rims or not - is to be classified under this term.
"Duh"

People say that valspeak (Valley Girl dialect) died in the 1990's - that's a load of crock. It's more prevalent now in mainstream conversation than ever before - furthermore, men (excuse me - "guys," not men) are now equally at fault for using it.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 08-13-12 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 12:19 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
You can use the word "Fail",...........but certainly not "Asplode" in this case......

Chombi
I don't know, if a CF bike asploded and they spent 12 hours in surgery trying to pull CF shards from some dude's sphincter, I think I'd call that an "epic fail"-ure of the bike. But yeah, "fail" and "epic" are seriously overused and should be gotten rid of (how the hell do you end a sentence with that phrase - or "disposed of" - and not end a sentence with a preposition?). But while we're at it, long live the Oxford comma!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-12, 12:34 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
We have a deluded sense of self worth.
So very true.

"Epic" is just another annoying slang word, but is also part of a general manner of speaking that in which everything good is "the best ever" and anything bad is "the worst ever". I hear this from my (teenage) students all the time.

My current #1 most hated beaten-to-death-word/phrase: "At the end of the day, ..."
Old 08-13-12, 12:37 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
But while we're at it, long live the Oxford comma!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes! Oh, and it's fine to end sentences with a preposition if writing it otherwise is inelegant.
Old 08-13-12, 12:39 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by inkandsilver
My current #1 most hated beaten-to-death-word/phrase: "At the end of the day, ..."
The politicians love that one.

"'ya think?"

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 08-13-12, 12:44 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
like. . . #threadfail
Old 08-13-12, 12:45 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

How about "it is what it is". This seems to be specifically designed to preemptively avoid the designation of blame/fault/negligence or to avoid potential discussions that diverge from the user's conclusions. It's a meaningless phrase that seems to translate to:

It is what I say and I don't feel like discussing it or my role in it.

Another phrase I don't like, at least how it's normally used, is "outside the box" when the solution is very rarely different, clever, creative, etc. It's usually just a slightly different take on whatever change is being discussed.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 08-13-12 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 12:47 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Man, you guys are epic cynics. Language is fluid, words can take on additional meanings without detracting from the original meaning. It all has to do with context. No, your friends ride may not have been EPIC in the literal sense...but you know that so don't be a nit-picking dork, ok? And by nit-picking dork I don't mean you're a penis that picks head lice. Get it?
How boring would it be if everyone spoke in "proper" American English? Ugh, no thanks
Old 08-13-12, 12:49 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by cobrabyte
Man, you guys are epic cynics. Language is fluid, words can take on additional meanings without detracting from the original meaning. It all has to do with context. No, your friends ride may not have been EPIC in the literal sense...but you know that so don't be a nit-picking dork, ok? And by nit-picking dork I don't mean you're a penis that picks head lice. Get it?
How boring would it be if everyone spoke in "proper" American English? Ugh, no thanks

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 08-13-12 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 12:52 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Like totaly for sure dude, even though it's awesome "epic" has to go, like right now, ok??
Old 08-13-12, 12:54 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Epic is an annoying word. However it's not the most annoying. The most annoying word is:

Rare

Especially when used on eBay or Craigslist.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 08-13-12, 12:56 PM
shipwreck

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Wow, I was just curious if I was turning into a pedantic old fart(turning forty this month).

If this thread goes south, I guess its just "my bad".

Last edited by shipwreck; 08-13-12 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 01:02 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Oh and "literally". That sucker is way overused.

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally

And #. Take your stupid # with you when you get off my lawn. I don't care about your twitterizing and don't want to hear about it any more than you want to here about me writing in cursive (which schools don't bother teaching anymore) in the longhand letters I like to send through the mail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.