Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Dollar Per Mile

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A Dollar Per Mile

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 08:40 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Dollar Per Mile

Hey guys,

I've been riding for about a month now and already itching for a new bike since i've learned tons in this forum about bicycles, components and everything related. I've decided to come up with a new system that hope makes riding a bicycle motivational and satisfying. I am thinking about "putting a dollar in a jar" for every mile I do. For example, so far I have about 200 miles this month which means that I have 200 dollars saved for my next purchase. If I buy something for the bicycle the amount in the jar decreases.

I am thinking about 2 bycicles when I reach the milleage. The Cannondale Supersix Ultegra or the FELT F4. Both carbon with ultegra components and about 4 pounds lighter than my Z85. I think it is a descent step up after 3500 miles.

What do you guys think?

Luis
Old 08-16-12, 08:43 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I could see that as a disincentive to ride.
Like saying to yourself "oh crap, I'd love to do a century this weekend, but I just don't have the extra money".

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-16-12, 08:44 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.
Old 08-16-12, 08:46 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
Hey guys,

I've been riding for about a month now and already itching for a new bike since i've learned tons in this forum about bicycles, components and everything related. I've decided to come up with a new system that hope makes riding a bicycle motivational and satisfying. I am thinking about "putting a dollar in a jar" for every mile I do. For example, so far I have about 200 miles this month which means that I have 200 dollars saved for my next purchase. If I buy something for the bicycle the amount in the jar decreases.

I am thinking about 2 bycicles when I reach the milleage. The Cannondale Supersix Ultegra or the FELT F4. Both carbon with ultegra components and about 4 pounds lighter than my Z85. I think it is a descent step up after 3500 miles.

What do you guys think?

Luis
For me and many others, that would be a motivation for riding a lot less as we couldn't afford it.
Old 08-16-12, 08:47 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With the mileage I do, I would be able make a BMW payment every month.
Old 08-16-12, 08:50 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I could see that as a disincentive to ride.
Like saying to yourself "oh crap, I'd love to do a century this weekend, but I just don't have the extra money".
Well Yeah, I could see how it could get expensive. Its like having a car that makes 4 mpg. 0_o. I guess it is more of a goal since I really want a carbon bike but I know im not in good enough shape to justify one. Hopefully by the time I make it to 3500 miles (hopefully within a year or 2) I will be as solid as a rock!
Old 08-16-12, 08:50 AM
martialman.45

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More miles means you will need the $$$ for tubes, tires, chains etc. Go for it.
Old 08-16-12, 09:07 AM
SCochiller
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have to pay yourself to make riding a bicycle motivational and satisfying, maybe you are in the wrong sport.
Old 08-16-12, 09:13 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SCochiller
If you have to pay yourself to make riding a bicycle motivational and satisfying, maybe you are in the wrong sport.
Maybe... My first motivation is losing weight and getting in shape. Then is the accomplishment of being able to ride a bicycle for long periods of time and maybe racing one day. I just use this dollar a mile thing as a little prize for the future and to justify purchasing something that is most likely not necessary but a luxury. This quantifies my effort for a new bike and limits myself to not buying it before due time. Knowing myself, if I dont put a restriction like that I would be most likely to go and purchase a new bike next month. I might as well have said that I will buy the new bicycle when I hit the goal instead of a dollar a mile. All in all the point is that according to how many miles I ride I can spend that much in $ for my next bicycle. Being a fat and out of shape slob means that 3500 miles wont be easy as for some of you who can do that a month.

Last edited by lsberrios1; 08-16-12 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-16-12, 09:15 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
So you literally just bought a bike, and already want another one?

You already own an excellent bike that will last you for tens of thousands of miles. A different bike will not necessarily be any more comfortable, and it won't be any faster. Ride your current bike into the ground.
Old 08-16-12, 09:20 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Forcing yourself to wait a little for new purchases will make you more likely to know what you really want, and not waste money on impulses.

Also tying it to the amount you ride will make it more likely you'll use the stuff. Lots of enthusiastic newbies come in, ride a lot for a few months, buy lots of stuff, then move on to other things, and have a lot of unused expensive stuff.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-16-12, 09:27 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Just so you know, most people here ride 3k-6k miles per year. Some people ride considerably more. If you get into the regular mix, you'll have an awesome bike budget...
Old 08-16-12, 09:32 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It makes sense to me. Ride a lot, upgrade your bike. A buck a mile seems like the wrong # to me, I'd use 50¢. I'd also not include peripheral stuff like tubes, tires etc. as those are just stuff you need to enjoy the hobby whereas a new bike isn't.
Old 08-16-12, 09:33 AM
Grim Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a good plan, though a dollar per mile may be a bit much. As you continue cycling, you will likely drastically increase speed and distance, especially if you do end up getting that new bike (or is this a plan until you get a new bike, I am not sure). For me, it would come down to over a 100 bucks per week, and my guess is that it will be for you too at some point given your level of enthusiasm.

maybe a dollar every two miles is better.

I also agree with the above poster. This is a good plan for not buyin everything at once. It takes a while before you really know what your own preferences are and what the things are you want. That 50 dolar saddle bag may look appealing now, but in another year, you may find out that you prefer to take your stuff with you in your jersey etc.

One other thing I feel like I have to say is that you already have a very decent bike now. For someone who is just getting into it, I dont feel like you would really benefit that much from a much more expensive bike. Your current bike wont stop you from doing any of the things that you are able to do on a more expensive one. There is also a second reason why you may want to hold off on buying that bike. If you buy a very expensive road bike, it should be to your exact preferences. Right now you may not know what those are, and it may take at least a year for you to really find out. Once you have some more experience, you will have a much better grasp of the things you like and dislike, your riding position and the feel and geometry you are looking for, etc. If you buy a 2000+ dollar bike after just a few months of riding, it seems unlikely that you will be able to find the one that would really be the best choice for you in the long term.

Last edited by Grim Ace; 08-16-12 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-16-12, 09:36 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe

You already own an excellent bike that will last you for tens of thousands of miles. A different bike will not necessarily be any more comfortable, and it won't be any faster. Ride your current bike into the ground.
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Sounds like a good idea. Forcing yourself to wait a little for new purchases will make you more likely to know what you really want, and not waste money on impulses.

Also tying it to the amount you ride will make it more likely you'll use the stuff. Lots of enthusiastic newbies come in, ride a lot for a few months, buy lots of stuff, then move on to other things, and have a lot of unused expensive stuff.
Originally Posted by banerjek
Just so you know, most people here ride 3k-6k miles per year. Some people ride considerably more. If you get into the regular mix, you'll have an awesome bike budget...
I bought this bicycle to try if I was really going to enjoy the sport. I wanted a bicycle that could keep up and was good quality but that wouldnt break the bank if I decided I didnt like riding. Now, like merlin said, I am tying myself up to that goal before buying the bicycle I really wanted in the beginning. I am still very new and even though I would like to ride for the rest of my life I am one to change my mind very quickly about stuff, specially hobbies. By the time I get to 3,500 miles I am most likely assured that I really do like the sport and that I will continue doing it. If I get there, then I will get the bicycle I wanted from the beginning.
Old 08-16-12, 09:42 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Ride first and see if you an stick with it.
Old 08-16-12, 09:51 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Not a bad idea. For me that would be $20 every weekday I ride to work. If you commute, you could put in how much you might spend on gas in a week (or a little more) and use that money for a new bike. That would give you some real motivation to take the bike instead of the car to work. Instead of flushing that money away buying fuel, you could use it for a new bike.
Old 08-16-12, 09:54 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Another thing to consider is first pay for your current bike. In other words, first accumulate the 1,250 miles to pay for your $1,250 bike. Then start putting new miles towards a new bike.
Old 08-16-12, 10:12 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
You haven't given yourself a very high bar to cross.

Why not set a more explicit goal, like riding 10,000 miles on the bike you have before allowing yourself an upgrade? For myself and others here, that is not a big number, but based on your mileage, it seems like a pretty tough goal to reach.
Old 08-16-12, 10:36 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
.......and already itching for a new bike since i've learned tons in this forum about bicycles....
Sounds about right if he learned a lot from the 41. Surprised it took him this long to want to upgrade.

I think the 0.50/mile sounds about right. This will let you put some miles in before dropping more money in a sport you aren't sure you enjoy. If you earn the money with miles, and still want the bike, then you're ready for the next step and can afford it. Then, start saving again for that next bike....you know you're going to want i!
Old 08-16-12, 10:38 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I admire your plan, but it's too rich for my blood. I'd have to quit riding--too expensive.
Old 08-16-12, 10:41 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I admire your plan, but it's too rich for my blood. I'd have to quit riding--too expensive.
For you....$0.01/mile.
Old 08-16-12, 11:01 AM
back4more

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the first thing I question is the tons of things you have learned on the 41
Old 08-16-12, 11:10 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
So I should start shopping for $12,000 bikes for next year, I reckon.
Old 08-16-12, 11:58 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Thanks, Imaine if it were to be a dollar per post in your case!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.