Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Another fat guy looking to get back into riding

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Another fat guy looking to get back into riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 03:20 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gbg
+1
While biking is fun, for purely weight reduction purposes walking/jogging/running is superior. Weight bearing burns way more calories. For time vs results walk, for fun bike.

I've found quite the opposite. I can't burn near the calories walking as I can biking.

Even the calories burned calculators out there show more calories burned per hour for biking. An example for a 195 lb person

https://calorielab.com/burned/

Walk 4.0 mph = 354 calories/hr
Bike 10-12 mph = 443 calories/hr

I know for me I can burn 700+ calories/hr on a bike. Today's lunch ride in the wind was a flat (830' gain) 17 miles in 1 hour and a few seconds.
According to my Polar I used 725 calories with an average cadence of 90.
Yesterdays ride was 23 miles, 1475' gain in 82 min with 1150 calories burned.

Not a chance I can burn that walking.

Looking back at my spreadsheet I burned 565 calories on an hour walk back in June (3.4 miles 440' gain). When I got on the bike in July I was burning 760 calories in 10 miles. Yeah, it took me an hour to ride 10 miles back then! Holy Ragedy Andy!

Of course you may find it different.
Bottom line is get out and do something.
Check back often because there are many inspirational stories to be had here.
Old 02-27-12, 03:33 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
IBO, the speeds you're looking at cycling seems more akin to jogging or running than what is effectively only a moderately fast walk.

I weigh in at about 240 and reckon on 180-200 calories per mile walking and 40-50 calories per mile cycling (I typically use the low end for an easy ride and the high end for a fast ride, or a ride with hills). So if I can realistically walk 4 miles in one hour that's about 720-800 calories and 15 miles on the bike in one hour is 600-750. Both feel like they are comparably difficult to do. If I crank up the power on the bike and cover more distance that's all well and good but to compare like with like I'd also want to figure how I could increase my speed on foot.

Of course the other issue for me is that I get bored walking faster than I get bored cycling, not least because I live in the suburbs and two hours of walking (assuming starting and finishing at home) will only take me so far, but two hours on the bike will take me so much further. So instead of clipping the edges of one of our local parks I can do complete laps of it, for example.
Old 02-27-12, 07:10 PM
HumanPowerOzmo

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, Motobecane Grand Jubilee, Jamas Dakota Comp, Trek "comfort" bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'2" 48 yrs old. I started biking again at 420 lbs, I am now at 320lbs a year later. Someone here said not to go with Specialized brand bikes, well... I bought a 2010 Specialized Allez Sport (new) for $800, put 2,000 + miles on it. I worried about the durability too. I only had to replace 2 spokes ( recently - after 2,000 miles) and I wore down the back tire at about 1,800 miles. the rims only had to be "trued" 2 maybe 3 times. needless to say, this road bike has held up very well ! ( i put the clipless pedals on it from the very beginning too - but don't bother with that yet, they're better than regular pedals but not necessary) my 100 lb loss was 1) eating a lot less & better , count your calories ( got a smart phone ? use the " Lose it" app ( no crazy diet, just simply eat better for now, details can come later) 3) biking as much as possible - preferably at least 30 mins or more at a time at a "good pace" 3) and I highly recommend spin classes. they are tough at first, but don't kill yourself to try to keep up with all the lighter people but do your best and you will get much better faster than you think. wear a heart monitor for all of your riding !!!. get out there and have fun !! Smile at what you will feel and look like one year from now ! you will hit plateaus and not ride for a while here and there but don't give up ! I still have 100lbs to go and I smile knowing my bike and positive frame of mind ( finally) will get me there. ride baby, RIDE !
Old 02-28-12, 06:59 PM
DLine

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I purchased a bike yesterday. Didn't have much luck with all the local classifieds over the weekend so I just went ahead and ordered this in a 22.5. https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ht_new_xii.htm A friend of mine who rides helped me pick it out. I'll be out of town from tomorrow through Sunday. At least this way I will have something by next week.
Next step will be getting a set of rims made for it. Can an LBS handle this? If anybody has a recommendation on where to get them from, I would appreciate it.
Old 02-28-12, 09:37 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
IBO, the speeds you're looking at cycling seems more akin to jogging or running than what is effectively only a moderately fast walk.

I weigh in at about 240 and reckon on 180-200 calories per mile walking and 40-50 calories per mile cycling (I typically use the low end for an easy ride and the high end for a fast ride, or a ride with hills). So if I can realistically walk 4 miles in one hour that's about 720-800 calories and 15 miles on the bike in one hour is 600-750. Both feel like they are comparably difficult to do. If I crank up the power on the bike and cover more distance that's all well and good but to compare like with like I'd also want to figure how I could increase my speed on foot.

Of course the other issue for me is that I get bored walking faster than I get bored cycling, not least because I live in the suburbs and two hours of walking (assuming starting and finishing at home) will only take me so far, but two hours on the bike will take me so much further. So instead of clipping the edges of one of our local parks I can do complete laps of it, for example.
The numbers I used for me were real life actuals according to my HRM (When I was 270):

Looking back at my spreadsheet I burned 565 calories on an hour walk back in June (3.4 miles 440' gain).
When I got on the bike in July I was burning 760 calories in 10 miles.

that's a 200 calorie/hr difference

There are many calculators on the web that I've looked at which can't even come close to 700 calories/hr walking for a 240lb person. I reckon the best way to compare is to strap on a HRM and get the results for each individual.

This site https://calorielab.com/burned/ comes real close to what I see on the bike..
Old 02-28-12, 11:32 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by DLine
Well I purchased a bike yesterday. Didn't have much luck with all the local classifieds over the weekend so I just went ahead and ordered this in a 22.5. https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ht_new_xii.htm A friend of mine who rides helped me pick it out. I'll be out of town from tomorrow through Sunday. At least this way I will have something by next week.
Next step will be getting a set of rims made for it. Can an LBS handle this? If anybody has a recommendation on where to get them from, I would appreciate it.
I say ride the stock wheels until you can't. Keep in mind your mileage will increase as your weight (probably) will decrease.

One suggestion, and you might already do this.... work on core strength and core stability. People like us who were super-obese often have problems in that area. For instance, can you stand up from a chair without bracing yourself with your arms? I found when I began to lose weight that working my core was the easiest way to see an improvement in mobility and balance. It will pay off, and not just on the bike.

Old 02-29-12, 06:05 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
I say ride the stock wheels until you can't. Keep in mind your mileage will increase as your weight (probably) will decrease.

One suggestion, and you might already do this.... work on core strength and core stability. People like us who were super-obese often have problems in that area. For instance, can you stand up from a chair without bracing yourself with your arms? I found when I began to lose weight that working my core was the easiest way to see an improvement in mobility and balance. It will pay off, and not just on the bike.
+1

Getting good wheels will equal the cost of this bike. So the question comes up. If you ride a lot the stock wheels may not last long but will you want to get a different bike and will it use 26" tire? The flip side is if you don't ride much then the stock wheel may last a while. These are questions that no one knows the answer to.

As far as walking/riding and calorie use I can incline a treadmill and burn a lot of calories 5 mph @ 5% incline for an hour is hard work. But I can't do this for 3 hours like I can ride a bike. The treadmill makes me have to keep up. Riding alone in traffic I have to keep motivating myself to push myself and "multitask" which cuts down on the pure effort expended while riding. While riding in Florida I rode with a 50+ Triathlete. Riding along with him I was easily motivated to keep up and didn't even have to think about how hard I was working. Burned a huge amount of "garmin calories" in that ride.

So what burns more? Riding or walking? It all depends.