Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sticky Uniglide freehub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Sticky Uniglide freehub

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-23, 05:24 PM
bikeman9000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sticky Uniglide freehub

Hi all,

I have an 87 Peugeot road bike which has always had a sticky freehub. When I move the bike forward the pedals move too, sometimes the chain jumps, etc. It seemed to get a bit better with use. I didn't ride it for a few years and now it is quite bad (chain jumps quite a lot) wheel hub assembly.

I soaked the freehub in mineral spirits for ~24 hours, taking it out every once in a while to spin it around a few times. Sometimes it spins relatively freely, but it frequently 'catches' on something internally and spinning stops. If I press in on the inner cylinder of the freehub (sorry not familiar with this term) while attempting to spin I can free it up. It sounds/feels vaguely metal-on-metal -- not gummy like dried up grease. I hoped that applying lube might make it fully free but no, the 'catching' persists. I tried to flush it again, this time with WD-40, then mineral spirits, then lube, but nothing improved.

I haven't tried putting everything back together yet as I'm waiting on some grease in the mail. I feel like there is a small chance

I was just wondering if the problem I'm facing sounds familiar to anyone. E.g. is the hub body perhaps dying? If so, am I able to convert to re-use the 'inner' part of the tube and convert to a hyperglide system, or is the problem going to persist if I do that? Or maybe it's bad bearings inside the freehub?

Any feedback appreciated.

Last edited by bikeman9000; 09-13-23 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-13-23, 06:55 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeman9000
I was just wondering if the problem I'm facing sounds familiar to anyone. E.g. is the hub body perhaps dying? If so, am I able to convert to re-use the 'inner' part of the tube and convert to a hyperglide system, or is the problem going to persist if I do that? Or maybe it's bad bearings inside the freehub?
You seem to have covered the possibilities with this freehub - there's a piece of junk in there that isn't going away unless you pull it apart (although it might get chewed up and spat out with further use, or I suppose it could lock solid). Most UG freehub bodies can be replaced with HG bodies, the exceptions being early UG and various Dura Ace. It's worth looking on eBay for new old stock parts like this, particularly the bodies that have both internal and external threads so can take either UG or HG cassettes.
Old 09-13-23, 07:07 PM
bikeman9000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the response. And I suppose I'm asking for trouble if I try to take it apart and then put it back together? I'm not very mechanically knowledgeable and any problems that require creative solutions might be too much for me. My understanding is that putting the freehub back together properly isn't super straightforward and requires a bit of general know-how.
Old 09-13-23, 07:22 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
​​​​​​
Old 09-13-23, 08:11 PM
bikeman9000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Will any hyperglide freehub be compatible with my uniglide? I am fairly certain it is not first generation. And then I can just slap any 7 speed cassette on?
Old 09-14-23, 05:55 AM
bikeman9000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I did a search of ebay and amazon and unless I'm missing something it seems that 7 speed hyperglide freehubs are pretty hard to come by. I see only two different ones on ebay from the same seller with no part number. Maybe I'm better off just taking apart and cleaning the one I have, assuming there is no major damage to the body itself.
Old 09-14-23, 07:13 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
It would be a good idea to post pics of the part you are describing into your gallery (you can't post 'em yet) to ensure that answers are factually correct.
1987 was a period when manufacturers were slowly moving from freewheels to freehubs.
I'm not personally familiar with Peugeot bikes of that model year but would not be surprised if your bike was equipped with a freewheel.
Which would be good for you as they are MUCH easier to replace as a unit.
Old 09-14-23, 07:56 AM
bikeman9000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the response. I've just created an album with two pictures of the freehub/freewheel. I don't know how to link to it (I tried to "Share" but nothing happened) but hopefully you can see it in my profile. The dustcap says "Shimano 6D".
Old 09-14-23, 01:08 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Well, that's definitely a Shimano 7 speed UG freehub.
I happen to have one of those in my parts stash and it's practically new.
Yours for the cost of postage, e-mail me at rccardr@cox.net since you can't PM yet.
Old 09-14-23, 06:41 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I have one from an Arabesque group that was like that and soaked it in a peanut butter jar for a couple of months shaking frequently and occasionally removing and spinning and it cleared up nicely. I then repeated the process in straight 30w oil for a shorter period.
Old example was not removable or it would be 7 speed now.

Last edited by dmark; 09-15-23 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-16-23, 09:49 AM
bikeman9000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hm I never thought of just leaving it in solvent for a while but maybe it's worth a shot. I had given up on solvent as it seemed like there was metal stuck inside but I could easily be wrong about that. I guess I have nothing to lose by trying it.