Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thread stripping in crank arm?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Thread stripping in crank arm?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-23, 07:18 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 143 Posts
Hope it holds but if not an old established bike shop likely would repair it. If not here is a tool that may cost more than the bike.
https://uniorusa.com/collections/ped...ts/crank-saver
A ratty parts bike with a mismatched arm may be most cost friendly.
It's worth fixing; good luck.
Old 10-30-23, 08:06 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4419 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Forgive my ignorance but why is glueing the pedal in so dangerous? (Not that I’d want to do it)

and yeah, I really want to know if the OP got on ok with his other pedals.
Because glue isn't strong enough and having your pedal break out of the crank arm while standing can cause a really bad crash.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 10-30-23, 10:08 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
...we actually have the stuff at the co-op here, in Sacramento, to do a theadsert repair, if it were really needed. We used to do them for the cost of the threadsert, which is about five or six bucks. But I have to agree the threads look like they will still work OK in his photo. Given the length of time that has elapsed, I'm guessing those MKS pedals worked out fine. So except for the bickering, another mechanics thread with a happy ending.
Old 10-30-23, 12:13 PM
Badzilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Unless the injured party decides to contact 1-ILL-SUE-THEM. You may not lose the case, but your legal fees may well bankrupt you.
I love legal stuff. Please provide pointers to any such cases. I realize asking is like trying to squeeze blood from a turnip, so, not holding my breath.
Old 10-30-23, 12:24 PM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Because glue isn't strong enough
Says who? There are few situations in which glue is stronger, than on threads. I would properly clean the metal parts and use JB Weld if I wanted the cheapest solution.
having your pedal break out of the crank arm while standing can cause a really bad crash.
Glue cannot cause that to happen.
Old 10-30-23, 12:24 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Badzilla
Grown-ups are responsible for their own actions.
Not since the invention of the injury lawyer.

I love legal stuff. Please provide pointers to any such cases. I realize asking is like trying to squeeze blood from a turnip, so, not holding my breath.
I will admit, I don't have a link to any legal precedent here. Then again, I don't know of anyone foolish enough to actually take your repair advice yet, either.
Old 10-30-23, 12:29 PM
Kontact 

Says who? There are few situations in which glue is stronger, than on threads. I would properly clean the metal parts and use JB Weld if I wanted the cheapest solution.

Glue cannot cause that to happen.
If the threads mate enough to prevent the pedal coming out, epoxy doesn't add anything.

If the threads are damaged enough to never get tight, the crush strength of the epoxy will not survive the down force on the pedal and it will shatter, allowing the pedal spindle to wallow out the crank.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 10-30-23, 01:12 PM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I don't have a link to any legal precedent here.
shocker...
Old 10-30-23, 01:19 PM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
allowing the pedal spindle to wallow out the crank
Even assuming that's true (unlikely), that's nothing like "pedal breaking out of the crank arm while standing".
Old 10-30-23, 01:36 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
It has been four months and the OP hasn't indicated that he solved his problem, but someone dug this back up to defend their highly questionable advice.
I hear ya. But, even though the op didn't fully confirm, I would assume he solved the issue months ago:

Originally Posted by cormacf
New MKS pedals ... seem to be in there solidly.
Old 10-30-23, 01:48 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Can confirm. New pedals operating well after about 200 miles of mixed city riding, including a big hop when I saw rattlesnake in the path! The rims and hubs were shot, so I would up getting some new wheels, but no problems with the cranks or pedals since then!

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I hear ya. But, even though the op didn't fully confirm, I would assume he solved the issue months ago:
Old 10-30-23, 06:14 PM
Kontact 

Even assuming that's true (unlikely), that's nothing like "pedal breaking out of the crank arm while standing".
Frankly, you have no right to an opinion on this. Your sense for how mechanical stuff works is totally off.

When the pedal threads fail and you are pedaling standing up, there is every possibility that the side load of rocking the bike is going to force the pedal right out the side of the crank arm once it is loose enough. Or pop the end of the crank off.

I know it is fun to have an opinion, but why don't you insert it someplace that doesn't involve the safety of people going up to 50mph? Isn't there a Star Trek forum or something?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 10-30-23, 08:52 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Can confirm. New pedals operating well after about 200 miles of mixed city riding, including a big hop when I saw rattlesnake in the path! The rims and hubs were shot, so I would up getting some new wheels, but no problems with the cranks or pedals since then!
i've crossed paths with a rattler once, while hiking through salal brush, on an undeveloped trail, of sorts.. Whychus creek area, below the overlook on Peterson's Ridge...1977... i jumped straight up about two feet... the snake made the mistake of not leaving the trail quickly... sadly, my survival instincts kicked in.... the snake didn't feel a thing... they taste great.... we needed the protein.... 2.5 feet of sheer terror... and a tasty dinner.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 10-30-23, 09:17 PM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Check threads (& pedal type) then helicoil OS

I just picked up a 1977 Super LeTour for tooling around town on a weekly Taco Tuesday ride of about 10 miles. It was priced right, seems pretty bulletproof, and it's the full-chrome version, so it's nice and shiny. Perfect for days I don't want to be the guy in lycra. I'm swapping out the brake pads for something made in this century, and I'll probably recable it, but otherwise, it's in great shape.
First check pedals for matching threads. You or a good shop with a good mechanic
I took it for a test spin at lunch today, about a mile in each direction. I wasn't pedaling particularly hard (it was in a spinny gear), and I'm 165 pounds, but the non-drive side pedal popped off. I went back, piced it up, and saw what looked like a teeny bit of silver metal in the threads. I was only 500 yards from home, so I cleaned off the threads on the spindle and in the crankarm with my finger, screwed it back by hand (seemed to move freely--no crossthreading), and started pedaling home slowly in my second-lowest gear. 200 yards later, the pedal popped out again, and this time, there was an obvious semicricular piece of crank in the spindle thread:

The crank arm looks like there's some stripping, but not a TON:

Any thoughts?

Options I've considered:
  • Clean everything, grease everything, reinstall, and just torque the absolute crap out of it.
  • New pedals?
  • New crank arm (probably a whole new crankset -- there's a NOS-ish pulloff on eBay for $58 with shipping)
Thanks!
see title
Old 11-02-23, 06:48 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 336 Posts
OK. So based on the above:
  • Step 1: Install a new set of MKS touring pedals I have in the car (because shiny) that I never got around to putting on my old Rivendell before I gave it away.
  • Step 2: If there's still a problem, buy the new crankset.
• Step 0: reattach the current pedal using red Loctite - if it comes loose you need a new crank.

​​​​The problem I've experienced with this sort of failure is that although the crank thread looks mostly good it's no longer circular or parallel-sided and will not stay tight without some assistance.
Old 11-02-23, 07:49 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Every time I get on my bike and put all my weight on my pedal I wonder how my crank continues to hold up. There are incredible forces at stake and really we are looking at just a short piece of tempered aluminum. Its a wonder for sure. Because of this I do not take any chances of having a weak, abused, or partially stripped crank arm. For me its just too dangerous. A Helicoil is probably your best repair. And I would have it installed at a machine shop. I would not rely on any kind of adhesive. I have only had a pedal/crank juncture fail on me once. Never again...

Anybody up for determining force at point "A"?

Chegg.com
Old 11-03-23, 12:55 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Every time I get on my bike and put all my weight on my pedal I wonder how my crank continues to hold up. There are incredible forces at stake and really we are looking at just a short piece of tempered aluminum. Its a wonder for sure. Because of this I do not take any chances of having a weak, abused, or partially stripped crank arm. For me its just too dangerous. A Helicoil is probably your best repair. And I would have it installed at a machine shop. I would not rely on any kind of adhesive. I have only had a pedal/crank juncture fail on me once. Never again...

Anybody up for determining force at point "A"?

Chegg.com
1000N, more or less

torque is about 55Nm when the crank arm is parallel to the ground, given that a mm is 1/1000 of a m
Likes For choddo:
Old 01-03-24, 10:19 PM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Coincidentally... Yesterday, my ultralight and beautiful candy red bottom of the line racing bike pedal was loose. Naturally thinking about this thread, I unscrewed the thing and watched metal filings fall down. Vacuumed both the pedal end and the crank arm, saturated both with superglue, and screwed it back in there. Was able to tighten it down pretty hard, superglue oozing onto the floor. If it ever comes loose again, I'll just replace the cranks, and update this post. Could have used JB Weld, but probably not worth the effort since there was still some useful threading.