Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-23, 04:40 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Terrible last 24 hours. Hope this is the start of a turn.

Wordle 736 2/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 06-25-23, 05:49 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,977 Times in 2,249 Posts
The last three days, my body has had a meltdown while riding. No idea why. It starts with left piriformis pain followed by right triceps pain followed by left neck/shoulder pain. My body becomes totally incapacitated. My wife knows (from a former life) every stretch to relieve the pain but as soon as I get back on the bike, everything seizes up again. It hasn't been hot or humid but I do ride a lot for an overweight old guy so maybe I have chronic dehydration.

Regardless, going to take a couple days off which I rarely do and hop everything clears up.

Old 06-25-23, 06:47 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,761 Times in 2,596 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
You could have come here, a much closer popular cycling route, and seen a real farm.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 06-25-23, 06:49 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,761 Times in 2,596 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
The last three days, my body has had a meltdown while riding. No idea why. It starts with left piriformis pain followed by right triceps pain followed by left neck/shoulder pain. My body becomes totally incapacitated. My wife knows (from a former life) every stretch to relieve the pain but as soon as I get back on the bike, everything seizes up again. It hasn't been hot or humid but I do ride a lot for an overweight old guy so maybe I have chronic dehydration.

Regardless, going to take a couple days off which I rarely do and hop everything clears up.

Hope everything clears up.
Old 06-25-23, 06:53 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,656 Times in 1,903 Posts

Do you do any stationary/indoor riding at all? This sounds like something I'd want to experiment with in the garage before heading out.
Old 06-25-23, 06:54 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,656 Times in 1,903 Posts
also GL!
Old 06-25-23, 07:09 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,068 Times in 3,646 Posts

Sounds like a reasonable plan.
Old 06-25-23, 07:27 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,322 Times in 1,904 Posts

You should consult Vol, he seems to know what's best for us.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 06-25-23, 07:30 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Coffee activity about to commence, bliss to follow. I had to grind beans for home and at work.
Old 06-25-23, 07:51 AM
big john

Liked 9,729 Times in 4,761 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I have probably said it before, but will say it again.

I don’t believe in a blanket “ban” on e-bikes. It’s really about how they are ridden. If an inexperienced and/or French Shower e-cyclist does not behave (rides unsafely, surges, and does not respect the vibe of the ride), they should be told to leave.

OTOH if s/he behaves, I don’t think that’s inherently a problem.

In our club, e-bikes are allowed or not at the discretion of the ride leader.
Oh, I agree. As I have mentioned many times, 2 of my regular riding friends switched to e-bikes some time ago, although she recently switched back. She never needed it anyway but he has a heart problem so he will be staying electric.

There was a big blow-up with our club a few years ago with the president and other board members quitting, (some never came to another ride!) over e-bikes. It was decided to ban the bikes but now nobody seems to care with more of them appearing recently.

The way it affects me is it makes it like I'm older and slower but some of those who were also slower are now suddenly young and strong again. Like the few people I could keep behind me are now dropping me on climbs. Yesterday there was a guy who hovers around 270 pounds. He's 40ish and strong as an ox but I could always out climb him. On an 8% grade he pulls next to me and starts chatting. I'm thinking he must have been really training and he says no, has been too busy to ride much. Soon figured out he's on a new Scott e-bike. Great! Another one.

It seems like I am going to have to get an e-bike to go on the rides where everyone is either young and strong, or has an assist. Definitely no longer a level playing field.
Old 06-25-23, 08:05 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,707 Times in 7,831 Posts
A former high school mate just posted a photo of himself handing a young Eastern Red-Spotted Newt. I let him know that he should wash his hands. The young ones are 10X more toxic than adults. Their toxic defense mechanism can kill you by suffocation in as little as 6 hrs. after ingesting the toxin.

Snooch, as we called him, was not always the brightest bulb in the chandelier. He liked to mention that he lived a few houses away from Ivan Lendl in Greenwich, CT.
Old 06-25-23, 09:48 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,803 Times in 6,575 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Coffee activity about to commence, bliss to follow. I had to grind beans for home and at work.
I respect those with coffee rituals, but I can't function well enough without coffee first thing, so it's pre-ground coffee in a drip machine with a timer for me.

There was a brief time when Mrs. GJ had given up coffee, and I was making it in a French Press, starting the kettle on the stove, then grinding the beans and putting them in, etc. I'd get two cups of superb coffee.

Then came the day when Mrs. GJ asked, "Where's mine?" and I knew it was either make two batches or go back to the drip machine.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-25-23, 10:11 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,038 Times in 1,427 Posts
I have returned to these United States. I tuned the radio to WCNY through Mexico and undisclosed locations southward. They started playing Christmas music.
Old 06-25-23, 10:12 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I respect those with coffee rituals, but I can't function well enough without coffee first thing, so it's pre-ground coffee in a drip machine with a timer for me.

There was a brief time when Mrs. GJ had given up coffee, and I was making it in a French Press, starting the kettle on the stove, then grinding the beans and putting them in, etc. I'd get two cups of superb coffee.

Then came the day when Mrs. GJ asked, "Where's mine?" and I knew it was either make two batches or go back to the drip machine.
That's still a coffee ritual... mine is just a bunch of Peet's French Roast in a Kalita, poured 2-3 times. Seems to "flush" me better than the Bulletproof ground extra-fine and poured long the day before.
Old 06-25-23, 10:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Sounds like a good plan. That and drink a lot of fluids. Then start out again gently.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-25-23, 10:22 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I have returned to these United States. I tuned the radio to WCNY through Mexico and undisclosed locations southward. They started playing Christmas music.
A friend from high school has what I would call a Christmas Kipple shop in Florida, which she's had for at least 10 years so she must be pretty successful. I wonder if the extremely non-Christmassy weather in Florida makes snow birds want more of that stuff? Nostalgia for what they intentionally left behind.

Old 06-25-23, 11:44 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,068 Times in 3,646 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It seems like I am going to have to get an e-bike to go on the rides where everyone is either young and strong, or has an assist. Definitely no longer a level playing field.
Screw dat, I'll quit cycling first. Sitting on that narrow saddle isn't much fun unless you're pumping your legs and getting healthy at the same time. If I want to tour I'll get in my damn car.
Old 06-25-23, 11:54 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,026 Times in 3,249 Posts

Wow. Hope that does it!
Old 06-25-23, 11:56 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

You could have come here, a much closer popular cycling route, and seen a real farm.
Maggie's farm?
Old 06-25-23, 11:58 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Originally Posted by datlas
I have probably said it before, but will say it again.

I don’t believe in a blanket “ban” on e-bikes. It’s really about how they are ridden. If an inexperienced and/or French Shower e-cyclist does not behave (rides unsafely, surges, and does not respect the vibe of the ride), they should be told to leave.

OTOH if s/he behaves, I don’t think that’s inherently a problem.

In our club, e-bikes are allowed or not at the discretion of the ride leader.
What about banning blankets?
Old 06-25-23, 12:26 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

The Soft Parade ride

I rode from my house for the first time since i restarted riding. It's more hilly than the silver comet trail and I was a little worried I might blow up my heart rate and have an issue but I was surprisingly able to gear down as needed to maintain a lower bpm. It was pretty hot and out in the sun quite a bit. 85 prolly.

I set a post "collapse" mile record of 13.01 and a 15.0 Ave speed and 129 average heart rate.

I was thinking about how to describe the terrain and I came up with shallow grades uphill followed by shallow grades downhill. Then it reminded me of these words from the Soft Parade:

All our lives we sweat and save
Building for a shallow grave

And I got a kick out of that.
Old 06-25-23, 01:08 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Liked 581 Times in 330 Posts
He was a pearl diver at a place called The Red Apple Cafe in Fargo for a very short time.
​​​​
​​​​​
Old 06-25-23, 01:18 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by rjones28
Did you stop at NY’s Text Stops to send text messages?
Old 06-25-23, 01:30 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

15:30 East Coast Trip Update: In VA sans lover

One more state to go.
Old 06-25-23, 01:35 PM
big john

Liked 9,729 Times in 4,761 Posts
What about banning blankets?
e-blankets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.