Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rare old bike with rust

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rare old bike with rust

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-15, 07:09 AM
big chainring 

Liked 788 Times in 371 Posts
Rare old bike with rust

I have my eyes on an old bike that has some condition issues. The frame tubes have quite a bit of rust, though the original paint is still intact. The tubes sort of have a pebbly texture to them. The parts too have an even coating of rust. The owner of the bike sprays it with WD-40 to maintain the bike. If I bought it I was thinking if using a product called Penetrol which is a paint additive. I have used it on tools, and other rusted surfaces and seems to seal the surface from further oxidation. But needs to be applied regularly.
Others here must have old bikes with rust issues. How do you maintain your bikes?
Old 05-02-15, 07:24 AM
iab

Liked 4,145 Times in 1,509 Posts
Remove rust above and below paint.

Coat with car wax.
Old 05-02-15, 08:44 AM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
If you are dealing with thin wall tubing, I'd be concerned about ridng it at all. A little rust can lead to weak tubes. Weak tube lead to failure.
Old 05-02-15, 01:57 PM
big chainring 

So this is what I am looking at. I have some interest but condition is concerning. May just let it pass. Maybe someone else would like this in their stable.

Dawes Emblem 1957 Vintage Racing Touring Bike not 531 Kromo SA FW Stunning | eBay
Old 05-02-15, 02:52 PM
BigChief

Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
Hard to tell from the picture, but I don't see a serious rust problem here. A bike this old in original finish always requires extra care and regular waxing.
I do see some roughness on the top tube. I wonder if that's rusting underneath or just damage to the paint.
Old 05-02-15, 03:02 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Liked 337 Times in 226 Posts
If it fits and it is not too far away, I think you should take a look and a ride. It appears that it is from the 1960's or earlier, and seems to have been cared for.
Old 05-02-15, 03:09 PM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by dweenk
If it fits and it is not too far away, I think you should take a look and a ride. It appears that it is from the 1960's or earlier, and seems to have been cared for.
Its in merry old England. 1957 built.

I've seen old Raleigh three speeds that get this sort of rust problem. They have thicker tubing though. This is Accles and Polock tubing which I am guessing is a bit more lightweight.
Old 05-02-15, 03:13 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Liked 337 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Its in merry old England. 1957 built.

I've seen old Raleigh three speeds that get this sort of rust problem. They have thicker tubing though. This is Accles and Polock tubing which I am guessing is a bit more lightweight.
So you need to move it across the pond? That would be a no-go for me.
Old 05-02-15, 03:20 PM
big chainring 

Yeah, $300 shipping, yikes! But I have never seen fender braces like on this bike. Great old saddle, 4 speed hub, cool bike. And I can say I got it from Bikes Direct.