Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage mountain bikes before they became vintage

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-24, 11:26 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts

I've embarked on a project to scan old photos and certain gems keep popping up. Back in 1984, as a new mountain biker (everyone was "new" then), this add jumped out of the pages of Bicycling Magazine, grabbed me by the lapels, and gave me a good hard shake! Who was I to leave a "challenge" just lying there?

The Gant Challenge was a race series open to anyone and was held all over the nation. The Colorado race was held at the Parfet clay pits in Golden, Colorado. The "clay pits" were a closed open pit mine near Golden that produced clay for Coors Porcelain. Chip Parfet was the operator of the family business and was a mountain bike enthusiast.

Working with the Gant people, he created a 1/2 mile track that was more BMX track than mountain bike track. It had deep drops and steep climbs. Pros did several laps. Us "normal folks" did a single lap with 5 heats being held. The top 5 advanced to the final heat. I did my heat and then grabbed my camera. My wife did do pictures so there are none of my suffering but I got plenty of pictures of other peoples' suffering.

The bikes are typical of the era. Long (long, long) brake levers that came from motorcycles. Cantilever brakes. Thumbshifters...friction, of course. Wool shorts. And helmets that ranged from Bell Biker II to Skid Lids to hockey helmets to mountaineering helmets to leather hairnets. The latter were more a basket to make collecting brain material easier following a crash.

There were even gravel bikers far head of their time!

My own path to glory was a bit fraught. I rode way into the aerobic zone for the 5 minutes or so of my heat. As I approached the finish line, I wasn't first and I could see others ahead of me. The race announcer was calling out numbers and names and, as I approached, I thought I was in 6th. "Not bad!", I said to myself. And then he called out "In 5th place, Stuart Black!"

"What!!?? I have to do this again?!", I said to myself as I coughed up and hacked out a spleen.

I didn't finish my second heat last but I wasn't first either.

After hacking out most of my internal organs after the second run, I took pictures of the people who get paid to suffer.

As to my racing career, that was my first and only race. I value my internal organs.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-04-24, 11:42 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,851 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I
Gold anodized rims AND hubs! Sweet!

Those are great photos. All my pix from that era were taken using a 110 camera and can barely make out what is going on.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-04-24, 11:53 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Gold anodized rims AND hubs! Sweet!
I'm pretty sure that is a 1983 Ross Mt Hood.

Those are great photos. All my pix from that era were taken using a 110 camera and can barely make out what is going on.
I had one of those for a while. My wife bought me a Pentax K1000 for Christmas in 1980. As I've scanned pictures (1660 pictures so far but only 3 years worth), I can see how my ability to take pictures got much (much, much) better

Great camera, by the way. I still have it but haven't used it in ages. Damned rugged.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-04-24 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-04-24, 03:09 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Bullmoose bars … faded away but are now oh so coveted. I see Fisher, Ritchey, Specialized, and WTB teams…this is post-wool shorts era so those are synthetic team uniforms…the plebeians seem to be wearing OP shorts or other non-cycling gear if not synthetic togs themselves. Back in day, I wore synthetic cycling shorts and t-shirts. Still have my 85 Fisher Comp and my “Fisher” gear from this period.

Likes For Markeologist:
Old 04-04-24, 03:25 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 450 Posts
Interesting history, great pictures!

Thanks for posting.
Old 04-04-24, 04:41 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
The Ross Force One had those gold rims and hubs and I think it was the first MTB offering from Ross

Old 04-04-24, 09:44 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
The Ross Force One had those gold rims and hubs and I think it was the first MTB offering from Ross
Hard to say but this Ross Force 1 listed on Mombat has clamp-on cable guides which aren’t evident in my picture.

Old 04-04-24, 10:31 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
It is interesting that there are 2 different versions of this model given the short production due to the copyright issue. My Force one has a different lugged fork crown and braze-on cable guides. Would have to assume the version with cable clamps is earlier.

Old 04-05-24, 10:02 AM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
Bullmoose bars … faded away but are now oh so coveted. I see Fisher, Ritchey, Specialized, and WTB teams…this is post-wool shorts era so those are synthetic team uniforms…the plebeians seem to be wearing OP shorts or other non-cycling gear if not synthetic togs themselves. Back in day, I wore synthetic cycling shorts and t-shirts. Still have my 85 Fisher Comp and my “Fisher” gear from this period.

I recognize that place, that's the bike shop next to Fairfax Market isn't it?

Sweet old Fisher! My oldest MTB is a 91' Team Marin in ROUGH shape but my brother has a first year Stumpjumper, a 1983, in very original condition with original Deer Head components. He loves that thing. He figured out a way to run the original rims tubeless and has massive 26x2.6 tires on it. He rides it all the time and hard too. He's quite the talented rider and can generally keep pace with much newer,lighter weight full suspension bikes. It's amazing how much you can do with an older bike, it's far more about the rider than it is about the bike. Just as a fast car does not make for a fast driver, a "fast" bike does not make for a fast rider.
Old 04-05-24, 10:53 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Pantah
I recognize that place, that's the bike shop next to Fairfax Market isn't it?

Sweet old Fisher! My oldest MTB is a 91' Team Marin in ROUGH shape but my brother has a first year Stumpjumper, a 1983, in very original condition with original Deer Head components. He loves that thing. He figured out a way to run the original rims tubeless and has massive 26x2.6 tires on it. He rides it all the time and hard too. He's quite the talented rider and can generally keep pace with much newer,lighter weight full suspension bikes. It's amazing how much you can do with an older bike, it's far more about the rider than it is about the bike. Just as a fast car does not make for a fast driver, a "fast" bike does not make for a fast rider.
Yes, Split Rock…bike shop and tap room. Also one parcel over from the Marin Museum of Bicycling. Great spot for a beer (or two) after a ride and museum visit…though I would suggest visiting The Lodge and Gestalt House too (the latter being the site of the old Fat Tire Trading post).
Old 04-05-24, 11:23 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Fantastic pictures and story, thanks.
Old 04-05-24, 03:48 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 132 Posts
I covered that race for Bicycling.
Likes For Repack Rider:
Old 04-05-24, 04:27 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 3,780 Times in 1,851 Posts
Hard to say but this Ross Force 1 listed on Mombat has clamp-on cable guides which aren’t evident in my picture.
It is interesting that there are 2 different versions of this model given the short production due to the copyright issue. My Force one has a different lugged fork crown and braze-on cable guides. Would have to assume the version with cable clamps is earlier.
Read this thread, switched tabs to Offerup and this was at the top of the page - https://offerup.com/item/detail/5d79...597ada?cid=7.4 - $600 - LA, CA

Last edited by SoCaled; 04-05-24 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-05-24, 06:32 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 47 Posts
I have a couple of these 83 Ross frames. The first is dated May 83 (serial number starts with 0583)

The other frame is dated July 83….
Old 04-05-24, 10:19 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Repack Rider
I covered that race for Bicycling.
My understanding at the time was that it was a race series in numerous locations.

Old 04-05-24, 10:21 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by cjefferds
I have a couple of these 83 Ross frames. The first is dated May 83 (serial number starts with 0583)

The other frame is dated July 83….
It was an era when bicycles were changing rapidly and constantly.

Old 04-06-24, 06:08 AM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

It was an era when bicycles were changing rapidly and constantly.
Yes, this is one of the reason I love these early mountain bikes. The pace of evolution from late 70s klunckers and early ATBs to mid-80s mountain bikes was really something. Probably the biggest development in cycling in our lifetime?
Old 04-06-24, 06:11 AM
John D
Not so New

Bikes: I haven't counted lately

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 31 Posts
The Gant Challenge

My understanding at the time was that it was a race series in numerous locations.
I rode "The Gant Challange in Chicago. They made a course in the lakefront park on the grass, with watered down muddy sections. I rode my Schwinn King Sting with Stu Thompson handlebars.
Old 04-06-24, 08:36 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by cjefferds
Yes, this is one of the reason I love these early mountain bikes. The pace of evolution from late 70s klunckers and early ATBs to mid-80s mountain bikes was really something. Probably the biggest development in cycling in our lifetime?
I actually prefer what came out of the late 80s/early 90s as the bikes got much better. The advances in technology that came out of that time had more impact than the early mountain bike technology of the 80s. Threadless headsets, index shifting, sealed bottom brackets, sealed hubs, suspension, etc are all things that have made bicycling easier and/or better. Road biking benefitted from these advances as well but I doubt they would have ever come along without mountain bikes pushing the envelop.

Old 04-06-24, 10:31 AM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 132 Posts
Sponsored in part by Bicycling magazine. I worked for them at the time.
Old 04-06-24, 01:32 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

I actually prefer what came out of the late 80s/early 90s as the bikes got much better. The advances in technology that came out of that time had more impact than the early mountain bike technology of the 80s. Threadless headsets, index shifting, sealed bottom brackets, sealed hubs, suspension, etc are all things that have made bicycling easier and/or better. Road biking benefitted from these advances as well but I doubt they would have ever come along without mountain bikes pushing the envelop.
Sure there was nothing really groundbreaking techwise about early mtbs but I would submit that the advent of the mtb did more to expand the scope of cycling than any tech innovation that came after.