Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-22, 07:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I played college basketball in th 80s. Sharing the trainiing rooms with the the other sports teams. The main reason those athletes perform at the level they do is if they don't, someone else will. Now, there are plenty out there with huge egos. If they get famous, it's hard to leave the game and become an ordinary Joe. Look at Tom Brady. He can't walk away. It's going to cost him his marriage among other things. If that's what you call passion, then I guess he's got it.

Edit: We're getting far away from the subject of the thread. If someone wants to start another thread, go for it. Otherwise, better to stick to the topic of the original thread.
If there's anything in there relevant to the tread topic, I guess it's how much should our choices be affected by the equipment used by pros. Obviously, my considerations as a 61 year old non-competitive cyclist are completely different from those of someone whose career prospects may be advanced or dashed by their choice of equipment. Also, they may be a lot less risk adverse than I am as the rewards for performance are such that they're willing to risk safety to a much higher degree. I think that may actually relate to the dancing chicken issue.

I've had a similar argument before where someone was asserting that we should look to the habits of pro cyclists as models for maintaining long-term fitness. My counter to this was that pro cyclists were infamous for having taken substances to increase their short-term performance at the cost of potentially shortening their lives, and that people who need a sophisticated testing regimen to prevent them from doing that are probably not good models for maximizing their active longevity.

I have no data to support any idea that the kit and equipment used by pros is somehow more dangerous than that more commonly used, and I'm not asserting that at all. I'm just trying to be charitable as to how you decided to bring this dancing chicken bit in.
Old 10-06-22, 09:05 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Athletes sacrifice their bodies long-term for short-term achievements.Everybody knows that .... Ask any boxer ... well, never mind ....
Old 10-06-22, 09:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Athletes sacrifice their bodies long-term for short-term achievements.Everybody knows that .... Ask any boxer ... well, never mind ....

Right, but as far as cycling equipment and kit, is there any example of that? The only thing I could come up with is possibly putting yourself into super-aero positions on downhills.

Again, I was just trying to figure out how the dancing chicken comment had any relevance to the thread topic. The answer may very well be that it absolutely had none whatsoever.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-06-22, 10:20 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Right, but as far as cycling equipment and kit, is there any example of that? The only thing I could come up with is possibly putting yourself into super-aero positions on downhills.

Again, I was just trying to figure out how the dancing chicken comment had any relevance to the thread topic. The answer may very well be that it absolutely had none whatsoever.
It didn't. It only has relevance from about post 606 on when the thread veered off topic.

Last edited by seypat; 10-06-22 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-06-22, 12:55 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Again, I was just trying to figure out how the dancing chicken comment had any relevance to the thread topic.
A dancing chicken is the biggest waste of money in biking.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-06-22, 01:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A dancing chicken is the biggest waste of money in biking.

Worse than the Flying Pigeon?
Old 10-06-22, 01:39 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Worse than the Flying Pigeon?
That would be a great nickname for a racer. We've had the cannibal and the badger, we need the flying pigeon!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-06-22, 01:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by bbbean
That would be a great nickname for a racer. We've had the cannibal and the badger, we need the flying pigeon!
Don't miss your chance to race the real thing!
https://www.vintageartsinc.com/produ...gn=sag_organic

Or 150 of them:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...64171f59MA0z2o

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-06-22 at 01:51 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-13-22, 05:23 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
Here's a fantastic waste of money...

Anodized bike parts. Zero performance gain and therefore a complete waste of money.

In related news...I just ordered a blue chainring for my MTB.
Old 10-13-22, 05:43 PM
ShawnBikes

Bikes: Trek Domane S, Trek Marlin 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen people pay high dollar for lightweight water bottle holders.

I feel like that was a big waist of money.

But I welcome to be proved wrong!!

I bought me a large saddle bag for bikepacking. I could had spent a lot of money on a very well-known brand named one. But I bought a cheap one that looks like it will do just as good.
Old 10-13-22, 06:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by ShawnBikes

I bought me a large saddle bag for bikepacking. I could had spent a lot of money on a very well-known brand named one. But I bought a cheap one that looks like it will do just as good.
For something like a King Cage, no I would happily and have happily paid good money for their Titanium cages, they look good, don't weight a lot but hold onto bottles really well. Other lightweight cages that don't hold bottles as well I can see the waste but King Cage is made in 'Murica of high quality materials. Ron who makes 'em is super nice and isn't trying to veer out of the lane with odd products that don't fit the brand or materials.

A good saddle bag won't wag a whole bunch and hold up to a lot of use and abuse. For instance my Arkel panniers are 10 years old and I could probably pass them off as recently purchased. They cost a lot new but say at $13 because they should easily last 30 years and probably more is not a bad deal. Cheap materials won't last as long and I like bags that last and hold up to my poor packing.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-13-22, 06:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts

What do you consider “high dollar”?

Whatever that is, it wasn’t your money. Do you think the people who made the conscious decision to buy them thought they were wasting their money?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-13-22, 07:59 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts

Might one ask: what, precisely, is a "big waist of money"? Does that refer to an individual wearing one of those (very well-stocked) olde-timey 'money belts'? If so, how is that relevant to bottle cages?
Likes For badger1:
Old 10-14-22, 07:57 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Thread summed up:

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 10-14-22, 08:36 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Roof racks can be big wastes of money....................If you forget you have bikes mounted on them.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-14-22, 09:31 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
If you subscribe to the theory that 'time is money', the biggest waste of money is internet threads arguing about what is the biggest waste of money
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 10-14-22, 05:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
If you subscribe to the theory that 'time is money', the biggest waste of money is internet threads arguing about what is the biggest waste of money
I won't argue with that.
Old 10-14-22, 09:17 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
One of the biggest waste of money, having a tire fetish. Purchasing a set of tires, changing out the current ones which were only used a couple months. Then spending a ton of money on sealant cos it gets spilled all over the place in the process. Then a week later, you see another set of tires you want to try and repeat this process a couple more times. I guess the only saving grace is that sooner or later, you will get full use out of all of them. Providing you stop your fetish addiction.

But thinking about it, doesn't sound all that abnormal. How many people even on this forum have multiple wheel sets with diff tires mounted. Probably a lot. At least I can say I'm frugal because I only have the wheels that came on the bike.
Old 10-14-22, 09:38 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
I once spent $40 on a pair of gardening gloves that said Pearl Izumi on them, because I forgot my gloves at home. Basically the same gloves you can buy at Home Depot for like $3. I was feeling pretty ripped off that day.
Old 10-15-22, 06:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by b88
One of the biggest waste of money, having a tire fetish. Purchasing a set of tires, changing out the current ones which were only used a couple months. Then spending a ton of money on sealant cos it gets spilled all over the place in the process. Then a week later, you see another set of tires you want to try and repeat this process a couple more times. I guess the only saving grace is that sooner or later, you will get full use out of all of them. Providing you stop your fetish addiction.

But thinking about it, doesn't sound all that abnormal. How many people even on this forum have multiple wheel sets with diff tires mounted. Probably a lot. At least I can say I'm frugal because I only have the wheels that came on the bike.

You might as well make up a few more "fetishes." How about changing the frame once a week, that'd be a bigger waste of money, right?
Old 10-15-22, 06:23 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by b88

Well, that may be a waste, but it depends on why you're going through the process and how much you ride. If you're in it to experience what's on offer and to find what you feel is the best tire for your riding, that may just be the cost of business. Some people feel life's too short to putz around, looking for their grail tires. Also, getting two or three months out of tire could very well be the useful life of a tire, particularly the rear, if you ride a decent amount.

And yeah - you should really get a sealant syringe and appropriate valve stems if you're spilling all over the place.
Old 10-15-22, 07:04 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
You seem to have a fetish and obsession with how other people spend their money and what they buy...BTW I enjoy testing tires out. I purchase a set of tires ride them for a few months then purchase a different set of tires ride them for a few months etc etc..I have three bikes and multiple wheelsets so none of the tires are ever wasted because I always eventually go back and end up using all of the tires I purchased until they wear out.
Old 10-15-22, 07:22 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Drinking and riding seems dangerous
5 minutes of practice.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-15-22, 07:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You seem to have a fetish and obsession with how other people spend their money and what they buy...
Of all people to make such a claim.... Your obsession with how much people spend on cycling specific/branded gear is legendary.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-15-22, 08:19 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Short jerseys, long shorts and long socks.
Also overly stiff shoes which make it hard to walk the bike up steep hills (even though it's OK to do that).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.