Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Riding in NOLA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 03:19 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Riding in NOLA?

We'll be moving from Shreveport to New Orleans in the coming weeks, and I'm wondering how New Orleans is for riding. We're looking at getting a place in the Garden district or that neck of the woods, to be close to work (immediately SW of the French Quarter). I understand bike commuting is dodgy (low driver awareness/tolerance of bikes), and many streets have poor drainage, so when it rains it's pretty messy on a bike. I'm especially interested in good places for road riding that are easy to get to and allow for sustained 18-20 mph rides of moderate distances.
Old 01-17-17, 01:58 PM
peterjm76
Irideasteelpig

Bikes: Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
NOLA is a bike friendly city, lots of riders. Just have to deal with narrow streets, avoid the quarter when possible lots of inebriated pedestrians! Great town to bike and get everywhere quickly.
Old 01-19-17, 01:53 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Originally Posted by peterjm76
NOLA is a bike friendly city, lots of riders. Just have to deal with narrow streets, avoid the quarter when possible lots of inebriated pedestrians! Great town to bike and get everywhere quickly.
Thanks. I've checked Strava and I think I see a few good spots for longer rides, so I'm encouraged.
Old 01-20-17, 10:13 AM
mojojojo15

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys.. i'm new in Louisiana as well. i'm from Marrero. i hope someone can show us a map of how to drive over the river on bike to New Orleans from my place. is there a bike friendly route?
Old 01-22-17, 01:24 PM
Kevindale

Originally Posted by mojojojo15
Hi guys.. i'm new in Louisiana as well. i'm from Marrero. i hope someone can show us a map of how to drive over the river on bike to New Orleans from my place. is there a bike friendly route?
Looking at Strava routes, I can see that people ride over both the Huey P. Long bridge and the Crescent City Connection. Obviously the second one puts you very close to the French Quarter.
Old 02-19-17, 08:05 AM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
No no no ,,,,,, if you're in Marrero ride to the levee get on the levee and ride it till you pass Gretna continue on levee till you reach Algiers there get on the ferry cost two dollars stay on ferry till you get to the other side of Mississippi river once you exit ferry go right on find the French quarter now what ever you want , to get back to Marrero reverse procedure,,, two more dollars for the ferry back,,,,,,,
Old 06-07-17, 04:30 PM
bicyclebunny

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Atlanta, but I'm from New Orleans, and I'm honestly pretty psyched about riding there. I grew up watching all the cyclists in such an amazing array of bikes. They have a lot of neat ride groups. One of them is a night time glow ride where everyone wears glow stuff and bright, fluorescent clothing (like tutus and such).
Old 06-08-17, 07:31 AM
trsidn 
Jeff Vader

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevindale
Looking at Strava routes, I can see that people ride over both the Huey P. Long bridge and the Crescent City Connection. Obviously the second one puts you very close to the French Quarter.
I would ride neither of those bridges. Just sayin'
Old 06-12-17, 11:11 AM
Fastfingaz

You know that it's all flat over here so if you want to train for some elevation you have to either ride or run the bridges,, no choice we just ran the CCC last Saturday,,,, no sweat
Old 06-12-17, 11:37 AM
trsidn 
Jeff Vader

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
yeah, I just would not want to be on a bike there, tho.. cars are annoyed enough on the surface streets with bikes
Old 06-19-17, 12:47 PM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
Find JoeyBike on facebook! The page is not active anymore but that guy mapped great routes in New Orleans and the surrounding areas.
Old 06-19-17, 02:10 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Hi, happened to see this thread. I've never been to New Orleans, but from what I've read, you should be extremely careful around this intersection:

Marigny intersection where cyclist was killed was the scene of a nearly identical wreck in 2005 | NOLA.com

A Faubourg Marigny intersection where a cyclist was run over by a truck Thursday was the site of a nearly identical crash in 2005.

In both cases, the cyclist was headed toward the French Quarter on St. Claude Avenue. In both cases a large truck, headed in the same direction, attempted to turn right onto Elysian Fields Avenue. In both cases the trucks and cycles collided. In both cases the cyclists died at the scene.
That's about the only thing I know about New Orleans that is cycling-related.
Old 08-25-17, 04:57 PM
Fastfingaz

Hey Vol sorry that you saw that part of the news,,, and I hate to hear that that's all you know about New Orleans and cycling,,, but as usual its the negative issues that stand out,,, I know that intersection very very well that's my old neighborhood yes it's tragic and there's a big bike memorial there because there have been several on that corner and another just down the street, that is a very busy Intersection, but I you know the city there are smaller quieter streets going in that same direction and friendlier, the city is working with two major groups and trying to make things safer,, for the cycling community,,, I ride it all the time but like I said there are alternate routes smaller and friendlier streets for cyclists just kinda have to think about it ,,, st Claude is one of the main street to get across town,,,crossing eylisan fields another main street heading to the lake,,, watch out for the other guy,,,,,,,
Old 09-26-17, 02:16 PM
Fastfingaz

We'll be moving from Shreveport to New Orleans in the coming weeks, and I'm wondering how New Orleans is for riding. We're looking at getting a place in the Garden district or that neck of the woods, to be close to work (immediately SW of the French Quarter). I understand bike commuting is dodgy (low driver awareness/tolerance of bikes), and many streets have poor drainage, so when it rains it's pretty messy on a bike. I'm especially interested in good places for road riding that are easy to get to and allow for sustained 18-20 mph rides of moderate distances.
You must be here by now,,, but anyway if you don't know there's a ride every Tuesday leaving from Armstrong park at six,,, nice ride in and around the quarter visiting music clubs,they encourage lights and helmet,,,,
Old 09-26-17, 03:54 PM
A Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Fuji Sagres, Raleigh hybrid, Trek 820, all older than 10 yrs.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Riding in NO is great. I visit there often. Sure the streets are narrow and bumpy, but there are no hills and you can ride year round. St. Charles Ave. and Carrollton Ave. are good streets in your vicinity and have bike lanes most of the way. For sustained 18-30 mph rides I would recommend the Mississippi River levee. Motorists are getting used to bikes as there seem to be more all the time.
Old 09-26-17, 06:50 PM
Kevindale

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
You must be here by now,,, but anyway if you don't know there's a ride every Tuesday leaving from Armstrong park at six,,, nice ride in and around the quarter visiting music clubs,they encourage lights and helmet,,,,
Awesome. That's good to know. My wife bikes to work many days, and one of these Tuesday's I'll have to ride down to the park and hook up with you guys, and have her join when she finishes work.

Originally Posted by A Curmudgeon
Riding in NO is great. I visit there often. Sure the streets are narrow and bumpy, but there are no hills and you can ride year round. St. Charles Ave. and Carrollton Ave. are good streets in your vicinity and have bike lanes most of the way. For sustained 18-30 mph rides I would recommend the Mississippi River levee. Motorists are getting used to bikes as there seem to be more all the time.
I just got back from a ride on the Levee half an hour ago. I love it! I've been getting down there about 3x/week, and done rides up to 50 miles. Boy, that wind toughens you up!