Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

"you don't want that bike"...

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 10:35 AM
Triguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone ever had their LBS tell you, "you don't want that bike"? When you ask why they never give a reason.

Last night someone at a shop of which I am a club member and know the people who work there, one person was quite helpful, but another was really pushy about which bike I wanted. Not really helpful. At one point actually told me, "you don't want that bike".

The guy who was originally helping me(the nicer of the two), actually joked, "when you come in with some shorts and pedals to test ride, we'll wait til they're gone". I knw the person was probably more forward with me because I know them outside the shop, but jesus, I am still a customer. I could just as easily get the bike from my friend who works at the company for a lower price but choose not to.

To quote Will Farrell, "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills".

Last edited by Triguy; 09-26-08 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-27-08, 04:50 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
what was the bike? did they provide a reason?
Old 09-29-08, 02:38 PM
Dwayne1

Bikes: Cannondale SR, Mountin bike daily beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah this happens all to often, just stick with the nice one and screw the other. At my last Tri I was still riding my old Cannondale with aero bars and had started building mt first real Tri bike, I ran into the pres. of our local Tri club and asked how much he charged for a fitting, he quoted a price turned and walked away and left me standing there, What a jerk!!! (oh yeah he wasnt talking to anyone) So he wont get my buisness! It happens and it's his loss, maybe someday these guys will understand that customer service actualy means something!
Old 09-29-08, 07:35 PM
rcsting
Just a Rider

Bikes: 2017 Stromer ST1X

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm interested in a tri bike and went to the local Cervelo dealer on 3 different occasions while on a ride with my local club. The employees will not even acknowledge us and they do not put prices on any bike in the shop. Theyre attitude makes it impossible to do business with and is just as bad as an employee telling you not to buy a certain bike.
Old 09-29-08, 11:08 PM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go to Cervelo, all3sports, or nytro. You'll get pricing.
Old 10-02-08, 02:16 PM
bikinpolitico
Bicycle Utopian

Bikes: Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Softride Qualifier, Ritchey Breakaway Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good bike shops listen to your needs and find bikes to match your riding style and application. If they aren't doing that, go elsewhere. If they can't give you reasons why one bike will better fit your stated needs than another, look elsewhere.
Old 10-02-08, 02:39 PM
trsidn 
Jeff Vader

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Triguy
Anyone ever had their LBS tell you, "you don't want that bike"? When you ask why they never give a reason.

Last night someone at a shop of which I am a club member and know the people who work there, one person was quite helpful, but another was really pushy about which bike I wanted. Not really helpful. At one point actually told me, "you don't want that bike".

The guy who was originally helping me(the nicer of the two), actually joked, "when you come in with some shorts and pedals to test ride, we'll wait til they're gone". I knw the person was probably more forward with me because I know them outside the shop, but jesus, I am still a customer. I could just as easily get the bike from my friend who works at the company for a lower price but choose not to.

To quote Will Farrell, "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills".

Ah, the Jedi mind trick.....
Old 10-14-08, 03:55 PM
timbo293

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you should have replied with, "Your mom doesn't want that bike."
Old 10-14-08, 07:30 PM
rplong

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro, Trek 2300, Specialized Rockhopper, Cervelo P2SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
buy online, most local shops are crap, learn how to size yourself and work on your bike yourself. Don't rely on crappy service
Old 10-14-08, 08:19 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha, I can fit myself, I do work on my own bikes, but I like the shop and we settled on a good bike that I actually like. Felt