Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thank you for the sage advice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 08:48 PM
macd55

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL 2 Elite, 2001 Litespeed Classic, 2019 Pinarillo Dyodo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts

Want to give a big thank you to all on this board that have shared their experiences and advice about what to do in case you have a crash. Saturday afternoon ride ended with me hitting the side of a car that was running a red light. The result was a broken rib and a partially collapsed lung.

The accident nor the injuries are not the reason for this post. It is thank you those who have given advice and experiences about what to do for yourself after a crash. I didn't feel like I was injured other than a scraped elbow and a sore kneecap. I resisted the temptation to turn the person loose who ran the light and had him wait for my wife to pick me up. Waiting around as some have suggested was the wise thing to do. As the adrenaline wore off after about 20 minutes the pain started to set in. If I hadn't read the advice of others on this board about their experiences I probably would have tried to fix the flat and continued my ride. That would not have a good outcome. As my wife was driving me home the pain from my injuries increased so we stopped at the ER with the previously mentioned result.

So the advice to wait until you calm down and the adrenaline wears off and not rush off is very sound. Gather as much information as you can from the other person if possible. Sure made it easier when I called the insurance people.

Macd55
Likes For macd55:
Old 01-11-21, 10:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Best wishes. I'd strongly suggest getting an attorney to represent you. Do not speak with the driver's insurance company or attorney until you've consulted your own attorney. In a state of shock and pain, it's easy to make careless statements that can compromise getting an adequate settlement. You may not know for weeks or months how serious your injuries are and whether there may be any lifelong disability.

And avoid posting any specific details online, even under an alias.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-12-21, 06:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by macd55
So the advice to wait until you calm down and the adrenaline wears off and not rush off is very sound. Gather as much information as you can from the other person if possible. Sure made it easier when I called the insurance people.

Macd55
Was a police report filed?
Old 01-12-21, 07:52 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 751 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Was a police report filed?
This is critical.
Old 01-12-21, 01:08 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 411 Posts
and noooo detail posting online, but methinx you know that....
Old 01-12-21, 02:53 PM
macd55

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL 2 Elite, 2001 Litespeed Classic, 2019 Pinarillo Dyodo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
No there was no police report filed. That is where I fell short. I have reported the accident with my insurance with a PIP claim and things were put in motion to cover my medical bills. The other person gave me all the information needed to do so. Right now as I am 76 yo it is on medicare until the two insurances work things out. My only out of pocket expenses are for medicare co-pays for which I will be reimbursed. I will have to file a claim for repair to my bike which was minimal.
Old 01-13-21, 06:58 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,448 Times in 1,558 Posts
Make sure you file the police report and make damn sure you get a copy of the completed report so you can check it for mistakes. I learned that my own (motorcycle) accident report had me approaching the intersection from a different direction on a different road from what actually occurred, so that the actions of the other driver made him appear less culpable than he actually was.
Old 01-13-21, 08:10 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9659 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Best wishes. I'd strongly suggest getting an attorney to represent you. Do not speak with the driver's insurance company or attorney until you've consulted your own attorney. In a state of shock and pain, it's easy to make careless statements that can compromise getting an adequate settlement. You may not know for weeks or months how serious your injuries are and whether there may be any lifelong disability.

And avoid posting any specific details online, even under an alias.
This excellent advice.