Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

yet another POS slave-made plastic frame

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

yet another POS slave-made plastic frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 05:25 PM
Analog
Bike fiend.

Bikes: Giant STP SS, Trek 400 (Fixed), 1970's Orion, Huffy Flatbed BMX, Vintage Huffy Kids Cruzer, Vintage Sears Cruiser, Trek Prototype Frame (fixed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barba
calling carbon fiber plastic is stupid.
It is pretty accurate to call it plastic. The epoxy resin (plastic) is the majority of the structure, the carbon is there to add strength and rigidity.

just sayin'
Old 12-16-06, 07:38 PM
p3ntuprage

Bikes: a tvt soon to become a s/s...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this one isn't *that* slack.

73.5deg ht seems more traditional than some.

fsnl
sparky
Old 12-16-06, 07:49 PM
onetwentyeight 
blah

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike552
You gotta admit, it's a really ugly frame though. The decals are bad enough, but look at where the headtube and the stem meet, there's no way to get a negative rise stem on there... what kind of a track bike is that********************????

i think its a pretty nice frame, personally.
Old 12-16-06, 07:59 PM
redden
Old fart

Bikes: 02 Specialized Allez, Cannondale M700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
even though I love to ride I don't know sh*t about frames. I looks good to me. Please tell me why I'm suppose to hate it.

thanks
Old 12-16-06, 08:03 PM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks a bit like the one in the photo below. The rider is a National Masters Kilo and Team Pursuit champ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sept06_PotM.sized.jpg (53.5 KB, 136 views)
Old 12-17-06, 03:07 AM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want one I will paint it with glow in the dark paint and finally have a tron light cycle yes shut up stop complaining and ride
Old 12-17-06, 03:18 AM
sivat
Geek Extraordinaire

Bikes: Bianchi Advantage Fixed Conversion; Specialized Stumpjumper FS Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
I really doubt that it's poor design. I mean, I don't know who knows more about the ideal ST angle for a track bike - a bike company with thousands, if not millions, of dollars of R&D and input from professional riders, or a bunch of kids on the Internet, who fetishize vintage bikes that were designed in the '60s.

I'm not trying to be insulting. I'd much rather own a vintage track bike from the '60s, but if I were getting paid to ride a bike, I'd much rather ride a bike that had the R&D done to ensure that every last bit of energy is going to propelling me and my bike, and not fighting wind resistance and a flexible frame.
I'm not saying that I know better than they do, but I know enough about engineering to know that not everybody who can afford to do it, does it. I'm just wondering if the R&D was actually done, or if they are just using the designs from their road bikes. More specifically, I'm wondering, if they are doing the research and engineering, what benefits are gained by the more slack HT (Though, 73.5 isn't all that slack, i've seen as low as 72, and vintage is usually 74-75), and what is it about CF that makes it possible when it appears to be impossible with steel. Vomitron mentions it is easier to paceline, which seems to make sense, though I'm not sure exactly why that would be.

Sintesi Conversion Serotta Track
Old 12-17-06, 11:11 AM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a lot of the bikes are designed for olympic and world class level tracks and the anticipated speeds that riders will be traveling on them (ie. faster than you or me). "****ing steep" geometry may not serve any good purpose if it's going to result in stearing that isn't neutral for the conditions the bike is designed to be ridden in.

Just to spell this out a bit more, the Forest City Velodrome vs. some track that's been used for the olympics will have vastly different geometry and anticipated rider speeds. These bikes are all designed for the (standardized design) upper level velodromes where all the big competitions are held.
Old 12-17-06, 11:32 AM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't personally read Walker's criticism of certain mass produced frames as a rant over asthetics. It would seem that Sachs, Walker, and other "purists" (for lack of a better term) view track machines as a bicycle that requires a geometry specific to the steep angles of a velodrome.

Now if a bike looks like a melted candle, and is also unsuitable for the track (BB too low) the fact that it's painted and covered with a million Nascaresque stickers to hide apparent design flaws is a moot point.

But I clearly remember when the message boards complained about the colour choices of Richard Sach's frames or the font selection of a Walkercycles downtube. And probably realizing that even after months of ranting, the were only viable complaints of the handbuilders was that they "didn't like the paint".

That's a cool bike btw. Especially if it works.*

*It reminds me of the Look Athena, a bike that I would pawn my antique Charles X furniture to afford it's $14,000.00 ticket, even if for a day.

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Old 12-17-06, 12:09 PM
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by br995
Can't you just file a bit off the head tube?
Don't you dare!
Just file the stem.
Old 12-17-06, 12:23 PM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LóFarkas
Don't you dare!
Just file the stem.
The Look Ergostem is made for this type of frame.

Old 12-17-06, 12:26 PM
vomitron
ya'll can't mush me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sivat
I'm not saying that I know better than they do, but I know enough about engineering to know that not everybody who can afford to do it, does it. I'm just wondering if the R&D was actually done, or if they are just using the designs from their road bikes. More specifically, I'm wondering, if they are doing the research and engineering, what benefits are gained by the more slack HT (Though, 73.5 isn't all that slack, i've seen as low as 72, and vintage is usually 74-75), and what is it about CF that makes it possible when it appears to be impossible with steel. Vomitron mentions it is easier to paceline, which seems to make sense, though I'm not sure exactly why that would be.
The logic (apparently) is that more riders are coming from the road world, and training on road bikes, thus they are used to less twitchy steering geometry. Now, for the average world-class sprinter, at around turn 4, you're likely to think your headset is welded shut if you don't have a 75deg ht.

Seems like the bike is designed for kilo/tt/mass start. The slack(er) ht is probably just so road-trained cyclists will feel more comfortable in the pack.
Old 12-17-06, 12:54 PM
dustinlikewhat
Bow$$

Bikes: Surly Instigator '02, Schwinn Traveler fixed conversion, '02 Fuji Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can we have steel aluminum and carbon fiber fight in a three way steel cage match, or would a steel cage give an unfair advantage to the steel frame?..
Old 12-17-06, 12:55 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 387 Posts
If you imagine the Look to be on a more level angle, these frames look a lot alike. Similar geometry, at least, and the headtube seems to be about the same angle, so the drop-stem issue that someone mentioned doesn't seem to apply.

Old 12-17-06, 12:57 PM
dustinlikewhat
Bow$$

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep they're both carbon fiber...
Old 12-17-06, 12:59 PM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Look's headtube/fork treatment gives it the win.

Old 12-17-06, 01:01 PM
jet sanchEz

Yeah, I would imagine that the Look frame probably inspired the Teschner company's branding of their frame. Either one would be great for me to boot around on the streets with. In another 15 years, we will see messengers on these things. How cool will that be?
Old 12-17-06, 01:08 PM
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Build the look with the seatpost system of the te**** and I'm sold. Except that I don't ride track and I'm broke.
Old 12-17-06, 01:11 PM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Yeah, I would imagine that the Look frame probably inspired the Teschner company's branding of their frame. Either one would be great for me to boot around on the streets with. In another 15 years, we will see messengers on these things. How cool will that be?
If the market keeps growing, it might be more like another 15 months.

It would be the last bastion of exclusivity.

Old 12-17-06, 01:18 PM
jet sanchEz

Originally Posted by Serendipper
If the market keeps growing, it might be more like another 15 months.

It would be the last bastion of exclusivity.
The road forum had that group buy-in on a full CF frame/fork for 550$USD, that is pretty cheap. I don't think we could organize such a thing here but damn, you are right, it won't be long until we see some cheap-as-hell CF track frames from China on eBay.
Old 12-17-06, 01:27 PM
Roche

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it looks great! Of course, the head tube might need a little work as has been mentioned, but these futuristic-looking bikes seem really cool to me.
Old 12-17-06, 01:28 PM
Jose R 
downtube shifter

Bikes: Custom DeanUSA El Diente CTI, Rich Adams Track, Johnny Coast Fixed, Argon18 Gallium Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Serendipper
The Look's headtube/fork treatment gives it the win.
yes, well, just ask Christian Stahl and a few other world class sprinters what happens to that headtube/fork treatment when involved in a crash...

...you have the frame, handlebars and fork with wheel still attached go in three different directions.
Old 12-17-06, 09:52 PM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
The road forum had that group buy-in on a full CF frame/fork for 550$USD, that is pretty cheap. I don't think we could organize such a thing here but damn, you are right, it won't be long until we see some cheap-as-hell CF track frames from China on eBay.
If we could pull it off, though, I swear I'd buy two...

Who wants to write a nice letter to the folks at Corima?
Old 12-17-06, 10:28 PM
sers

Bikes: Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it seems that the riders that can benefit most from aero carbon frames for the most part don't have to pay for them. they may not even like them, but they probably don't have much of a choice in the matter. while thousands of dollars of carefully laid carbon may generate some sort of advantage to a world class athelete, the potential benefit is probably lost on lower category racers with the disposable income to purchase a world class setup.

personally, i would hate to be the guy with a $4000 frameset and $4000 wheels getting his ass handed to him by racers on less exotic rigs.
Old 12-17-06, 11:17 PM
dustinlikewhat
Bow$$

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kind of off topic, but a curiosity of mine...

so I'm completely ignorant on titanium, it seems as though it's quite light, and quite strong, so why not use it instead of carbon fiber? is it because you can mold carbon fiber into aerodynamic shapes? it's always seemed to me that carbon fiber is to easy to break, but as I said, I'm ignorant in this area of things...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.